Every ten seconds, MUSIC--my WONDERFUL Cicadas have returned

okay it is a grasshopper . . .
There they go first one then ten then 50 then hundreds of a special grasshopper that is just clicking the rear wings on hind legs in a gentle breeze of Hot August dog nights ! It is a harmony that welcomes the last month of heat in which many people avoid by going to air conditioned rooms with all the 'jetson' features a cable-wifi-connected-abode can be these days. Go back to the 'flintstones', unplug yourself , stretch out on a chaise lounge holding an iced cocktail or brew or beverage of choice (hot or cold), remove the ear buds and close your eyes. Listen, hear those cicadas bringing on the music. Which symphonic piece does it remind you of ? ~e
Love hearing them!
they kinda like delightfully begin 'wrapping' up the heat index of summer, bringing on Autumn and signaling cooler temps are soon to come
@buenavida (8082)
• Sweden
I can't hear cicadas here, but I think I heard in southern Spain when I was there some years ago..??
@1hopefulman (29960)
Enjoy the wonders of nature! Very interesting insect!
The periodical cicadas spend either 13 or 17 years underground and then make a dramatic appearance. How do they know when to emerge?
@Micmac (8983)
I hear the crickets chirping. They are quite loud. The raccoon's screeching, skunks and the stray cats courting sounds drive me nuts sometimes on these hot summer nights.
Yeah but it is a good way to get riled or 'nuts' as you call it @Micmac and Cicadas are not just simple crickets . . .
@Micmac (8983)
@enlightenedpsych2 Yes, nature's summer time orchestra music keeps me entertained.
I heard them last night. It is such a peaceful sound.
They are almost as talented as a full orchestra Valerie
I don't know much about music other than I love listening to some. As for the cicadas, I agree, I love listening to their music as well as the birds in the morning. I just don't like it when these cicadas get so numerous they ruin camp outs. We went one year during the 17-year locust and they were everywhere and when we woke up, the windshield of our van was covered in them...Yuck!!! lol
Mother nature does NOT always play nice tricks on us humans @Carmelanirel2
@gr8nana6 (2194)
I like the sound it relaxes me. I know some people don't like them but I do.
well some people are just S.I.S. thankfully you and I do not seem to be and that is wonderful . . . thanks @gr8nana6
@acelawrites (11741)
I like the sound of cicadas who "sing" when it is about to rain. It is so nice to the ears.
@simone10 (21652)
• Louisville, Kentucky
It is so hot here right now that it's not very comfortable sitting outside. I do sit out in the mornings while drinking my coffee and listen to the birds singing.
This is exactly what I do every day. I go out on my chaise lounge and I read a book listening to the cicadas, the birds and the kitty of my neighbor meowing to get my attention. This is how I like to spend the hot summer days, outside, in the middle of the nature.
@PainsOnSlate (20328)
I love listening to the cicadas. I also enjoy looking for their shells they leave attached to the tree they first climb up out of the ground. Check out your trees for the shell left by the cicada in this photo....
I grew up on a South Dakoa farm and the cicadas' made such loud music it keptone awake then the frogs started' to join in so we had an A nvil chorus lol
Cicadas I thought were different then grasshoppers. I have found their skin they grow out of and its creepy looking but near. At night the darn crickets keep me awake at night. We have very different views on the music these creautres make hahaha.
It's been a long time since i have heard of cicadas making their sound in unison at night . I guess , i will try to notice if i can hear them when i get to stay overnight at my parents' house on the eve of the town fiesta on the 29th . Hopefully , there still are cicadas making their sounds at night at our hometown .
@CRK109 (14459)
I haven't heard them here in years. It's a unique sound, that's for sure!
dang, aint none 'round these parts (yet anyhow) to listen to. but, i do like to sit out'n my porch swing by the pond. listen to the water's 't makes 'ts way down the wee falls, makin' music whilst goin' o'er river stones, then fallin' softly 'nto the pond 'tself. 'n then there's the rustle 'f the birds 's they figure their slumber accommodations, the soft whinnies from the horses out'n the pasture....
I was staying in Ilinois at a bed and breakfast and we went out for a walk, I could not figure out what that hum was, it was cicadas, I had never heard that hum at home.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I enjoyed them in NY. Can't hear them here right now.
• Rochester, New York
I enjoy laying in bed at night listening to them. They play some great going to sleep music. lol
I'm sorry, but that just makes me think of my friend crazyhorselady who is suffering from a plague of grasshoppers. They are eating everything in sight.