Understanding The Two Categories

@else34 (13610)
New Delhi, India
I wonder what's the difference between the 'Top rated' and the 'Hot' discussions? Today I visited discussions included in each of the two categories.One of the 'Top rated' discussions had received 27 responses whereas the other just 5.I wonder how can both be 'Top rated.' Same is the case with 'Hot' discussions.I came across one 'Hot' discussion that had received as many as 51 responses whereas another one had just 5. What is the difference between these two categories? Would you please tell me what makes a discussion 'Top rated' and/or 'Hot?'
ALL discussion go to 'Top Rated' and then are listed in order by the number of 'likes' received, not by the number of responses. They will only appear there for the first 24 hours they are posted, then they are removed. 'Hot' are the discussions that are getting the most activity, regardless of how old they are.
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@JolietJake,Thanks a lot.You have so clearly explained the difference between the two categories.I have got it.Thanks again.
@shshiju (10307)
• Cochin, India
Thanks JJ and can say what is the scale for interesting discussions?
@shshiju Everyone sees a different list of 'Interesting' discussions. The list is based on tags you yourself have previously used in discussions you have made.
I have seen that JJ has again explained it so clearly . That was also the question on my mind when i made it to the top rated .
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@SIMPLYD,I,too,used to think about it.I didn't know the difference between the two categories.
@else34 At least now we know .
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@SIMPLYD Exactly.
I have no idea, and this is a very good question. I will be curious to know what people think.
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@Jessicalynnt,@JolietJake has answered the question here.'Top rated' discussions are the discussions that have received a good number of 'likes.'After remaining in 'Top rated' category for 24 hours,these discussions are removed.'Hot' discussions are the discussions that have most activities.I have understood it now.
I got the word from the bug guy right after the newest site upgrade
@JolietJake gotcha, now that makes more sense. I still dont use those tabs too often, lol
• Portland, Connecticut
You can always count on JJ to have the correct answer to these types of questions.
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@BelleStarr,Yeah....and that's why I believe in what he says about Mylot.
• Israel
Good question .. perhaps by user's followers and comments
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@excellent10,@JoiletJake has made everything clearly.
I don't know. And I don't look at those. The Most recent discussions are what I go to almost all the time.
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@Susan2015,That's exactly what I do.There I get new discussions.I was just curious to know the difference between 'top rated' and 'hot' discussions.
@OreoBrownie (3491)
• Elberton, Georgia
I think it is just how the computer picks them. None of us know the computer algorithm used to figure things like this out.
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@OreoBrownie,No,no,till a few days back I used to think so,but I was wrong.@JoiletJake has explained it here in his response.
I wonder if one goes by the amount of comments and one by the amount of likes.
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@shaggin,One thing is obvious now- 'likes' are also important.