I had to learn about budgeting.

Chile
For many years, while I was married, I did not worry much about money. And while it was true that we had good and bad times, usually my husband was a good provider and I saved some for a rainy day. Everything changed after my husband died though. Money was scarce and I had to think about lots of what I usually took for granted. My situation was that I was acostumed to live well (as a princess, I would say) and I did not have the means but wanted to keep on doing it. I learned to prepare yummy appetizers for my friends that were harder to cook, but a lot less expensive that the usual cheeses and olives I had before. As for the dishes for an invitation, I prepare now gourmet dishes that don´t need expensive ingredients. And they bring good wine and champagne. I stopped smoking because I could not have holidays AND smoke at the same time. The list goes on. Dear friends; I have lived like a princess since my hubby died and it seems that I will continue to do so. I am invited to the cinema and to fine restaurants by the friends that I invite here. I learned a sentence in one of Laura Ingalls books long time ago: "when there´s a will, there´s a way". Do you think that you can make good thinks happen if you try?
• New Delhi, India
I think you should stop some bad habits like smoking, drinking may be it will affect your budget.
• New Delhi, India
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
This is not uncommon when a woman loses her husband. It is easier for the man to budget because in most cases he has done so all through life, whereas suddenly acquiring the need to budget can be a formidable obstacle.
When I was married, although my husband was the main provider, I decided what to do with the money he earned except for what he needed for his work. So I knew how to do it, but I did not have any reason to be very thrifty. I saved to invite my husband for a vacation when the job was scarce He thought it was wonderful that he did not have to worry about the house money.
Oh yes, one can make good things happen if they put forth the effort.
@clrumfelt (5426)
The old saying goes when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Life can still be sweet even when we're dealt a "sour" circumstance. We can adjust to our different circumstances and thrive if we take what we've been given and make something positive out of it. I did this when I lost my job many years ago, becoming a stay at home mom and focusing my energies on raising my family. My kids are all grown up now and all thriving with good jobs and relationships.
True. And I feel blessed with what I have in spite of the sorrows. I believe in making lemonade
My husband and I had a plan which was "Better deprive ourselves now and live better later". And we did. And now we are enjoying the fruits of this planning.
@shivamani10 (11170)
• Hyderabad, India
yes. one needs a determination.
@peavey (16876)
Yes, of course I can make good things happen when I try. My income was cut by a third (from a not too high level anyway!) and I had to rewrite my budget. Sometimes I complain, but with a little work and some creativity, things work out.
@skysnap (18236)
I learned about budgeting by taking jobs and paying rents. before that it was harder for me to understand how to plan for month. So it's true that good things happen if you try.