Chicago River Was Loaded With 60,000 Rubber Duckies!

On Thursday, August 4th, 60,000 rubber ducks were dumped into the Chicago River in the city of Chicago. The annual Windy City Rubber Ducky Derby is held to benefit Special Olympics Illinois. After being dumped into the river, the yellow rubber ducks race toward the finish line. Anyone can donate $5 to have one duck in the race. Those wishing to donate $25 can purchase 6 ducks called a "Quack Pack." For a $100 donation, a person can be the proud owner of a "Flock" of 24 yellow rubber duckies who will race their little ducky hearts out. Now, if a donor wants to have 240 rubber ducks in the race, then that person will have purchased a "Diamond Duck Pack" of 240 rubber ducks! The lucky duck that reaches the finish line first is the Grand Prize Winner! A new car or an all-expenses-paid vacation is waiting for the owner of the first-to-reach-the-finish-line rubber ducky. I have not had a duck yet that has won this race, but there is always next year! You can watch those 60,000 yellow rubber duckies being dumped into the Chicago River. Quite a sight to see!
Nearly 60,000 rubber ducks were dumped into the Chicago River for the annual Windy City Rubber Ducky Derby to benefit the Special Olympics. subscribe us for ...
wowzers! that's a lot'f rubber duckies :) what a most worthy cause'n i hope they were able to meet their goal. 'n that'cha won that prize!
Just read that they had to stop the entries due to the flood of people who wanted to purchase ducks. I think they had all the ducks a dump truck could handle, or ran out of ducks.
• Uzbekistan
I'd like to see this. Must be fun.
The had so many people wanting to buy ducks for the race, they ran out of ducks.
@simone10 (21646)
• Louisville, Kentucky
This would be so much fun to participate in. How long does it normally take for duck to reach the finish line?
Well, the race starts at 1 p.m., and the time it takes for a duck to reach the finish line varies from year to year.
@simone10 (21646)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Corbin5 My luck, my duck would just sit there riding the waves and not go anywhere.
@simone10 That is what mine does.
Have you donated a duck then for the Special Olympics? How do they know which direction to go since they are all toy ducks? Sounds like an interesting race. Oh, one last question. How do you know if it's your duck that wins. Is your name on it somewhere or are they numbered or what?
A dump truck just plops all 60,000 in the water, in the direction the current is flowing, and away they go. I have never had a winning duck. The bottom of the duck has a numbered tag that identifies the owner of the duck.
@Corbin5 Interesting. So it's a huge gamble if you win.
@KristenH (25287)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Good for Chicago!
A great and fun way to donate to a worthwhile charity.
@KristenH (25287)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Corbin5 Of course.
• Walnut Creek, California
Sounds like Chicago-style fun for a good cause.
Yes, so much fun and a cool sight to see.
Lol that's funny and, pretty cool. I have seen something like that before, probably on the news.
They do it every year and it sure is a fun way to donate money.
I hope the rubber duckies donĀ“t pollute the river although the idea of a race is wonderful. I just read yesterday about all the debris left in the world after everyone of the Olympic games and it is heartbraking
The games in Rio are held in a mass of pollution. So sad. All the ducks are removed from the river after the race. The ducks in good shape can be used again and the not-so-good ducks can be recycled.
@Corbin5 I do wish there were rules for the Olympic games regarding pollution.
@marguicha It is so sad. Body parts are washing onto the beaches near the beach volleyball area.
@UncleJoe (11361)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Does somebody pick up those 60,000 rubber duckies after the race or do they let them just revert back to the wild?
They sneak into houses that have children in the middle of the night, put one duck for each child in the home's bathtub, and move on to the next house with kids until all ducks are gone. Those humans who put the ducks in the tubs have the super power of invisibility.
@UncleJoe (11361)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Corbin5 So, the next time I get caught all I gotta do is tell the resident I'm bringing ducks and they'll let me go?
@UncleJoe Well, if you have the super power of invisibility, which is a must, you will not get caught. You could chance the rubber-ducky delivery in person, but with your lengthy record on file, you take the chance of the police hauling you in once again! Becky said she is not bailing you out again, though.
• Midland, Michigan
I imagine that the 240 ducks ' donation was one thousand dollars? Does everyone put their names onto the duck with waterproof markers or something like that? I've never heard of doing this before. Probably it's been done for many years already?
Yes, $1,000 for 240 ducks. A purchaser is assigned a number, and the numbers are on a tag on the bottom of the duck. This year's race was number 11.
• Midland, Michigan
@Corbin5 I just took time to watch the two videos and I don't see how the numbers stay attached to the bottom of the ducks feet with the way the ducks are first dropped into the water at the beginning and then at the end the way they are gathered up again. Are you saying that number eleven was the winner of this years' race? The reason I question the numbers staying on the bottom is because we sell duck bath toys and the tag for pricing rarely stays on them and they don't go through everything these ducks do.
@MarshaMusselman No, it was the 11th of the race. On the site, they said tags with numbers on the bottom, so I assume the numbers stay put.
@EddieHands (37793)
Wow that is pretty cool! I like Rubber Duckies ! meow
Sure is a cool sight to see when they dump them into the river.
@EddieHands (37793)
@Corbin5 yes so amazing and magical !
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
It surprises me that Britain has started something similar because we British are certainly insane enough to become involved in something like this.
Well, it is a hoot to see all those yellow duckies. I also watched Nik Wallenda walk the tightrope between the Marina Towers in Chicago. Frightening to witness.
Nik Wallenda on his Guinness record-making blindfolded tightrope walk between the two Marina City towers.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@Corbin5 I would rather witness it than walk it myself.
@CRK109 (14381)
I've heard about those rubber duckies and I always wished I could be there to see that! What a great sight to behold!
I think it is better than when they turn the Chicago River green on St. Patrick's Day!
@CRK109 (14381)
@Corbin5 I have seen the river turned green on the news and I agree - I think I'd enjoy the duckies much more!
• Aberdeen, Scotland
Great video clip of the ducks. We do a rubber duck race in a river near us. It's cute to see them.
You just can't beat a bunch of yellow rubber duckies! Always brings a lot of smiles to see them.
@norcal (3212)
• Nevada City, California
We have a rubber duck race here too. Youth groups receive $3 of each $5 ticket they sell. The rest of the money goes to other local projects.
That is wonderful! Such fun for all. I know groups of people pool their money and donate large amount. I am a one-duck buyer.
@sofssu (17793)
Wow.. that must be a sight to see.. but what do they do with all the released rubber duckies? Those remaining in the water doesn't sound like a good idea.
All the ducks are removed from the river. I would think that the ducks that remain in good shape are used again next year. Or, perhaps the ducks are recycled.
I don't think I've ever heard of this event before but what a good cause it is.
It is a good cause and so much fun too.
I wonder where all the ducks end up ?
I suppose they reuse them next year if the ducks are in good shape after the race. Not sure where a flawed duck goes.
@nanette64 (18182)
• Fairfield, Texas
Now that's pretty cool @Corbin5 and for a good cause too.
It is so much fun and so many participate.
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Very Cute
Yes, fun is had by all.