OH I do like to be beside the seaside!

Seaside Pier Fish and chips
@garymarsh6 (14317)
United Kingdom
Today has been a gloriously beautiful summers day with blue skies and plenty of sunshine. I dropped my wife at her cousin's house and then drove on to the seaside not too far from where her cousin lives. The town I visited is called Eastbourne which is on the South coast of England just along from Brighton which has its own pier of course. Traditional seaside towns had a pleasure pier as an attraction they were particularly popular in the early 1800's and were built of wood or iron. At the head of the pier there would be some little shop outlets selling ice creams, fish and chips, confectionary and souvenirs. Along the pier there would be an arcade where games were played but on the end of the pier would be a theatre or ballroom where dances or shows would be held. Sometimes the piers would be used for ships to moor up from the continent and off load passengers although none of these pier share this function these days. The longest pleasure pier in the world is at Southend in Essex which is 1.33 miles long which juts out into the river Thames. The pier in Easbourne is a mere baby coming in at only 1000 feet long. I had some visitors with me who are from Belarus which is a land locked country so they love to go to the seaside when they visit us here in the UK. So what better than to show them our traditional seaside resort. Of course it is practically the law to have fish and chips when you visit the seaside so we had fish and chips on the pier. We had a really lovely day today and it was nice to relax and take in the sea air.
What could be better than fish and chips on the pier on a lovely summer's day? I envy you.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
Heaven isn't Janet with lashings of salt and vinegar sitting on the seafront breathing in the lovely sea air!
@pgntwo There's a lot to be said for both!
@pgntwo (21926)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@jaboUK Absolutely! One day the one, another day the other
That sounds like a really nice beach area. I know those kids love the arcade area a lot. I get fish and chips when we go out of state to the beach.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
You have good taste Sharon!
@garymarsh6 Thanks Gary I try.
I love to be anywhere near the sea,ocean,river,lake.Maybe I was a mermaid It looks very peaceful there.Gary
@garymarsh6 (14317)
Were you not in the navy at one point? It was early evening when I took the photo.
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
You can always be certain of excellent fish and chips at the seaside, but some of the prices charged these days are unbelievable.
@pgntwo (21926)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
The prices keep going up - it'll cost an arm and a leg to buy a decent fish supper soon.
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
@pgntwo It is probably cheaper to find a fancy restaurant and have a three course meal.
@pgntwo (21926)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Asylum Quite possibly - and you'd be safe from the ravages of any marauding gulls!
Hmm last time I was on a pier I bought a large soda haha I guess thats not very typical. The photo you posted is so beautiful. I would love to be there right now. I didn't know any of this about the origin of piers so thank you for this cool little history lesson.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
Ice cream is very traditional to have on the pier too. I would forgo the soda though and would stick with the fish and chips!
@garymarsh6 I was super hot and thirsty after sitting on the beach and needed something to drink and the pier was right next to us and soda was the first thing I could find haha
@garymarsh6 (14317)
@shaggin A friend of mine drank an iced drink in Bangkok it was boiling hot there and very humid. He ended up going into shock because the drink was so cold. He did look ill the poor man! I can't drink anything too cold othewise I get brain freeze and thats so painful.
I agree. There is no place better to be on a lovely summer day, or winter day in Florida!
@garymarsh6 (14317)
My daughter just came back from Florida they said it was far far too hot for them. They are still all jet lagged the kids were in the wide awake club till 02:00 last night! She said she is shattered with them!
@garymarsh6 Florida is so hot and humid in the summer. Our son just left today with his fiancé to go scuba diving in Mexico. Kids!
@garymarsh6 (14317)
@DianneN Yes I have just read your post! I hope he has a great time. We do worry about them even though they have grown up!
@moffittjc (44473)
• Gainesville, Florida
I grew up on the beach, and we had a pier in our town that was very similar to that which you described in your post. I live farther north now, and more inland (about an hour and a half form the beach), so I really miss it a lot. Your post made me feel nostalgic for those lays days playing on the sand in the beach!
@garymarsh6 (14317)
I know exactly how you mean. I miss the seaside like crazy and although I live near the river Thames it is not the same as being near the sea. When we were kids we spent half our lives on the beach swimming and rock exploring collecting crabs and other seafoods.
@moffittjc (44473)
• Gainesville, Florida
@garymarsh6 Yes, I miss those good old days! I look back on my childhood, and I definitely spent just about every waking hour on the beach or swimming in the ocean. That's probably where I got my deep tan that I still have to this day! lol
I love being seaside too, one of my favorite places to be.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
I hope you like fish and chips too?
@garymarsh6 Yes, that's one of my favorite.
What a lovely way to spend an afternoon
@garymarsh6 (14317)
Despite the drive it was a very pleasant afternoon and evening. We did not leave home until mid day and did not get home till half past nine having had a very nice day.
I used to love to be at the seaside too on the Atlantic Ocean here in Canada and the U.S.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
There is something magnetic about the sea!
@LoriAMoore (4656)
So jealous. Hopefully it'll be cooling down here in a few weeks.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
We have to take advantage of the nice weather here in the UK as it is so short lived. I hope it cools to a comfortable temperature for you soon!
It must be so nice to have the sea so close that you can visit it, I'd have to travel well over 800 miles west or southeast to get to one. Lovely photo.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
oh my goodness that is crazy. So there is no chance of a day trip for you there unless you fly!
Pretty much @garymarsh6 and I ain't flyin. This region is the Chihuahua desert. It's larger than Britain.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
@rebelann Oh my. I guess it there are lots of things to do where you live. America is a beautiful country there is so much to see there all natural beauty. I guess it is very hot where you live too?
For people from landlocked country,the pier is certainly a tourist attraction as well as the blue sea merging with the azure sky.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
There were some people swimming but it is far far too cold for me. My friends did dip their feet into the water. One said it was fine and the other said it was too cold.
@garymarsh6 I wonder why the water is too cold to swim there in your summer days.
@sprite1950 (14498)
• Corsham, England
I'm from the UK too and your picture made me want to visit the seaside. My favourite place to be is Weymouth in Dorset. I have never visited the sussex coastal towns so must put them on my bucket list.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
We are very lucky indeed to have so many nice places to visit. OK they may not match the weather in Biaritzz but on a nice sunny day we can give many places a run for the money! I love Bath and need to go back to visit as I lost all my photos of the weekend we had there! Despite the fact I got a nasty fine for driving in a bus lane early Sunday morning. I had a super clear photo of me in the car so I could not dispute it! Shame the photo gear is not used to catch robbers and real criminals !!
@sprite1950 (14498)
• Corsham, England
@garymarsh6 I don't actually live in Bath .. that's just how the site placed me. I live about 12 miles from it in Chippenham. Bath is a nightmare to drive in, most of us avoid it or go the back way which cuts out the heavy traffic and complicated road system.
oh how i'd loved to've been with ya! sounds most delightful 'n i'm most enamored with architecture 'f ol'. no waters near here, 'round 700 miles i believe to the nearest ocean. i wonder 't times if'n the sea air'n waters might be the tonic i need.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
OH definitely the air is pure and full of salt and iodine. It makes you very hungry and helps you sleep too!
I have been to Brighton and seen the famous pavilion.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
Brighton is a lovely place. The fish and chips on the pier there are phenomenal.
@Teep11 (7121)
Sounds like a great experience. Lots to see and visiting a lively town. Oh what fun. I'm glad to hear that your day was enjoyed.
@garymarsh6 (14317)
It was really a beautiful day and more so when the sky is so blue! It puts happy spirits in everyone!
I spent a summer in Brighton many years ago as a teacher of an English language course. I remember the seagulls!
@Inlemay (16713)
• South Africa
Love the look of long piers out into the ocean - makes for wonderful relaxing walks. Your photo takes me back to a walk along the seaside just on the other side of that English Channel - in the North Sea Belgium - If I may I would like to share the photo too. Blankenberg Belgium
I love to be by the sea too