I Am Glad I Do Not Have Kids to Send to School

free image of school supplies
Our church decided to gather school supplies and back packs etc. to give to children in the community for back to school. We also fixed hot dogs for them to munch on. One mom, who has five kids, said last year it cost her four hundred dollars, and she only had four of them in school. The families were grateful for the things we gave them and it felt good. We could not give them everything, but every thing we could give them made a difference. Our church would like to start a clothes closet as well. Do you have kids in school. Are the supplies they need, not counting book fees expensive?
I understand the feeling as I have been out of that necessity for years amd when I was it was cheap to buy school sup plies now its really expensive so we can just watch and smile lol
Some of the basics are inexpensive, but there is so much more that they need beyond the basics.
@GardenGerty yes I was startled at some of the things that are on todays lists.things never asked for when my son was in school lol
@yukimori (9072)
I don't find them expensive at all, but I spend a lot of time watching sales. I take advantage of the deals Staples and Office Max run, and use the products that offer rebates to make minimum purchase requirements. So I typically end up spending very little on school supplies. Clothing is a bit trickier, but between clearance and coupons I can usually get the kids entire wardrobes for a season for about $100.
I find that around here there are a lot more things on the list than when my kids were in school. Things like every child having headphones for the computer lab, or earbuds.Four packages of name brand tissue, two packages of twenty four count pencils, dry erase markers, sharpies, red pens, blue pens,highlighters, three composition books, etc. Yes, I always got my things on sale, but it is like the kindergarteners needed beach towels for nap time, and lots of things my children did not have.
@yukimori (9072)
@GardenGerty Yeah, I was shocked by the laundry list of things they wanted us to bring last year when the 6-year-old started kindergarten. Hand sanitizer, dry erase markers, a ream of cardstock paper, tissues, copy paper, binders, Crayola crayons, glue sticks, head phones (which never got used! )... ridiculous. This year, she's attending a new school where we're asked to bring $30 to contribute to the cost of the supplies they're buying for the class, since they're ordering in bulk. They've also requested that we bring two glue sticks, two boxes of tissues, and two reams of copy paper. Aside from that, she needs a backpack (reusing the one from last year), reusable water bottle, and a lunch box (school doesn't have a cafeteria). I ended up buying her a Yumbox bento from Amazon this week because it'll be more convenient for us to use for her lunches than the Lunch Blox we've been using, but that was completely optional. I like it enough that I'm planning to order another even though they're about $30 each.
@yukimori When you find a quality item you may as well get it. One of the cashiers where I was buying supplies commented that in a large metropolis nearby teachers had to buy their own school supplies. I think it is a lot more honest and upfront to say bring $30 for bulk supplies than to ask every child to bring forty eight pencils, etc. In the larger city there is a car dealership that hosts golf tourneys, and other fund raisers to earn money for teacher supplies.
My dad just forked out about $140 just for me to go back to college with the stuff I needed. Most of what I needed for actual school was a new book bag, paper, notebooks, pens, and highlighters. We also had to buy me some personal hygiene products which actually cost more than the school stuff did. It doesn't get any cheaper as they get older .
Oh, I know. I remember at one point buying my son a really good back pack from sporting goods. It had a leather bottom. I believe it was twenty five dollars. It lasted him about three years.
@GardenGerty The one my dad bought me this time was $35 and it has a computer and tablet pouch for the protection of them. Also a separate pouch for chargers and cords. The first one we bought was like $15 and it didn't last the first year without getting full of holes. I think everything is just starting to a lot more cheaply made than it was before.
@CaseyRoss9966 Yes, everything from cars to appliances is designed to wear out. We are a replacemnt type society not a repair type society.
@RubyHawk (29322)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Thank goodness I don't. It's really expensive to buy all the school supplies kids are required to have today. I'm sure your supplies wee much appreciated.
They have just added so many things, like sanitizing wipes, or hand sanitizer, and boxes of ziplock bags,back packs, etc. etc.
@yukimori (9072)
@GardenGerty Last year we had assigned snack days, too... had to fork out for healthy snacks for the entire class.
@GardenGerty this in a year when schools did a study on hand sanitizers and whether or not they prvented flu and found out there were even nore] cases of flu so sounds like they are a lost cause lol lol
My son's school fee for a year is more $1,300 and that doesn't include books and other school supplies.
Someone was talking about that today. In a nearby community because the students all used school owned lap tops.
@GardenGerty they don't have school owned laptops and they don't use computers except in computer class.
@toniganzon I find it rather controversial to be insisting that all students use school owned laptops. It got voted down in our last community. I had a friend that would have had three kids using school computers, two of which were prone to breaking and losing things. She would have gone broke. I do not think this little county where I live uses the laptops and it has been voted one of the best districts in the state.
@sallypup (28532)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'm sure its spendy to send kids off to school. Peer pressure: the kids MUST have what every one else has and they must be popular and have stuff bought cause of the latest movie.
Well, that is true, but I was thinking more along the line of some schools require special gym shoes, facial tissue, sanitizers, printer paper, glue, etc. Not that I think the teachers should pay for it either.
@sallypup (28532)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@GardenGerty My nose was always runny. My parents should have gotten stock in a hand sanitizer and kleenex factory. (We didn't have hand sanitzer products in those days.)
@sallypup My sister says that having a chronic runny nose (she did too) indicates food allergies.
@ElicBxn (60895)
I do know what you mean. The roomie sent school supplies up to the nephew's kids, kind of a generic pack off of Amazon. She also sent pencils with the kiddo's names on them extra. My niece is now 30, so she's not an issue and... well... waiting to see if kids are in the future...
That generic pack is just a starter. Just wait til you see Chlorox wipes, name brand facial tissue, on black Sharpie, two highlighters,two dry erase markers, and "general supplies.
@ElicBxn (60895)
@GardenGerty I believe the Sharpies, highlighters, dry erase markers, etc were part of the generic pack...
@ElicBxn That sounds pretty thorough.
the schools down here dont ask for as much, texas pays for more things. I know it can still add up
I was always told that was because the oil money pretty well supported the economy of Texas.
@GardenGerty could be, Texas does many things differently, like we have our own power grid, so you can PICK your power provider, so there is much cheaper rates and more options
@Jessicalynnt It is good to have competition in those areas. Are you back in Texas?
@Tina30219 (35706)
• Onaway, Michigan
No kids in school here. That was nice of your church to do that .
We have a very small community, so we focus on doing as much good as possible.
@Tina30219 (35706)
• Onaway, Michigan
@GardenGerty When it is small we can only do as much as we can do.
• Pamplona, Spain
When mine were in School I had to buy the books the whole lot really more expensive than the clothes for me at that time.
We pay a rental fee for books. It would be outrageous cost to buy them all.
• Pamplona, Spain
@GardenGerty That is a much better idea. Although I gave the used books to other Moms that were struggling like me and they loved the idea. No qualms there at all.
I always found stuff on sale and only bought what they needed. They used the same backpacks, and things like scissors, rulers etc for years. Even binders. I don't see any need for everything to be brand new.
Oh, but that would involve parents helping them take care of their stuff. My kids did have the basics like backpacks and binders, and durable items to reuse. Pencil boxes and all that. The schools change from year to year.about things like wanting high liters and dry erase. Glue sticks or liquid glue. Consumables definitely need to be replaced.
@GardenGerty If my kids durable items didn't last well, they had to use their spending money to replace them. Yup, mean mom. Who always had money to take them skiing.
@zarlamain (24885)
Students around here are expected to buy every single school supply on the list by the school. For instance, they list a binder with a lot of details like measurements and in some communities, even the color the binder should be. I'm sure on top of school fees, these school supplies are quite the expense. I don't have any children.
Yes, some things are quite specific, even if not expensive they possibly are hard to find. Things like a one inch three ring binder with front display pocket, white, only. I think they were less than two dollars, at Wal Mart, but the closest Wal Mart to our town is a half hour away. I no longer have children at home so that is why I participated in this give away.
@zarlamain (24885)
@GardenGerty Exactly. There's just so many specific requirements in the supply list and they can be difficult to find. That's wonderful that you participated in this give away.
@lingayako (238)
• Marikina, Philippines
Sending kids to school is not that easy. You really need to invest. But my kids' education has been part of my life. No matter how challenging it is, it gives me joy to see them in uniform, with their backpacks on, and preparing their packed lunch, and their goodbye kisses..
I know, parents have to do a lot for their kids. My kids were in school over thirty years ago. I am sure you are proud of your kids and all you do for them.
Kids seem to need so much more nowadays than when I went to school.
Yes, we needed paper, pencils, maybe an ink pen, paints. I guess that was about it. I never had a back pack or book bag.
@marsha32 (6689)
Our kids get backpacks and supplies from First Call for Help each year. This year they attended a skating party by the police. They rec'd $80 in Walmart cards to use for shoes, backpacks and supplies. Allen bought for the older 3 and it took the whole $80 for Liz to get shoes and the rest of the supplies on the list for Jacob and Willo. She said there was no way it would have covered all as they said it would. She didn't have to get the backpacks or some of the supplies and still spent it.
There is not anything like that, other than the Marion County Foodbank here. We are still giving out the rest of the stuff we have. Foodbank has some backpacks I think. In McPherson they have the Supply Train, Newton was asking us to donate stuff at Dillons.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
One of the biggest expenses in Britain is providing school uniforms.
I would like to see more schools use some kind of simple uniform here. Then we would not have all these issues of girls being sent home because their clothes distract the boys. We would not have the class distinctions between those who can afford designer clothes and the ones who wear the economy line. It would make getting dressed in the morning simple. Of course when I was growing up one reason I did not join "pep club" (I do not think they have it anymore) was because I knew we could not afford all the uniforms required.
Prices are so high for school supplies that I am glad I do not have any kids living at home anymore. That is great there are programs to help the parents out with school supplies.
One of the store clerks where we were shopping said that the teachers had to buy a lot of their class room supplies last year.