Would you be willing to lie to save your friend?

Would you be willing to lie to a court for a close friend if it meant saving your friend from going to jail for life? For me, "NO". If i know myself that my friend committed a crime, then there's no reason for me to save my friend from not going into jail. Being honest is most important thing in a friendship.
@owlwings (38187)
• Cambridge, England
I would never knowingly give false evidence in a court of law. If I had to give evidence in a case against someone, whether it were a friend or even a close relative, I would have to tell the truth as I knew it.
I think I might lie by omission, but I wouldn't speak a lie. If it was a good friend, I'd probably be very careful restricting my answers as much as possible.
@owlwings (38187)
• Cambridge, England
@JolietJake I think that the way I phrased my evidence might come into it. It would very much depend on what questions I was asked, I think, and, of course, whether I were asked to give evidence for the prosecution or for the defence. Inevitably, I can see that some "prejudgement" might have an influence - if I knew anything at all about the case, I would be bound to have formed some opinion about my friend's guilt or otherwise and I am sure that that would colour my evidence, even though I would probably try not to let it.
@owlwings Yes, best thing we can do is to always tell the truth for the good and peace of mind.
@acelawrites (10752)
You should not lie because if you know she committed a crime, denying it in court will cause you to be charged with conspiracy or harboring a criminal.
@Raj7779 (1475)
• Ahmednagar, India
Yes you are right
@acelawrites You're so right.
@cacay1 (32160)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@acelawrites that person may be called a protector hehehe.
@sprite1950 (1655)
• Corsham, England
I lied for my son once, nothing too major, but it got me in trouble and I ended up with a police caution. It's not worth it and although this was a petty theft incident it taught me how stupid I was. Had it been something major like a murder I would not have covered for him.
Sometimes we really have to lie for our loved ones if it is just a minor offense. But, it's still a must telling the truth either minor/major offense to make no worry in the future.
@sabtraversa (9899)
I would be honest as well. If I really love my friends and care about them, I want them to realize they did a mistake and I want them to be stronger, so jail could be a solution. I don't want my friend to think they can easily do whatever they want because they can count on a shield, they have to face reality. Then, of course, I don't want my criminal record to depend on someone else.
Yes, really nice to tell the truth for good. We are not just saving for our friend's life but for ourselves too.
Nope, I sure wouldn't lie in court for them. I've done my time in prison, they can do theirs. It ain't my fault they did something stupid, and I am not going to take the chance of getting thrown in prison myself for perjury.
I agree. That is perjury.
@imravi (2373)
It depends on my friendship with my friend.I would lie for my BFF *i think*
Of course, you are setting yourself up for jail/prison for perjury if they find out you lied
@imravi (2373)
@JolietJake It's none of your business.Please!
@imravi What are you talking about? What is not my business?
@sunrisefan (16624)
You're an upright person, Ms. Eliza :) Definitely, what you intend to do is the proper thing. Besides, if the court finds out that you were lying under oath, then you will be charged with contempt.
@sunrisefan Yes, really true. Thank you
@sunrisefan (16624)
@eliza_godinez12 You're welcome :)
@stringer321 (2813)
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
I would tell the truth, I don't think I can lie and risk myself with getting caught in a lie. If my friend is a good friend, he would understand me, else, he is not a good friend. I choose only good persons as my friends, and hopefully, they will never get messed up with the law.
I agree with you. Telling the truth is the most important thing we should do to enable know if friendship is really worth. Thanks
• Peoria, Arizona
I remember having to answer this question Junior year in high school. I was one of the very few to say No. Too many people go to jail for false accusations and too many people are let go for false aquttiles. The Justice system is already extremely messy and really needs an overhaul. If they committed a crime they deserve to be sent to jail for it. They will be happy about it in the end because if they got away with it, it would haunt them forever. And if they are upset for forever, well they were not a very good friend in the first place.
Yes, so true. That's a very nice thought from you. Thank you.
• Peoria, Arizona
@eliza_godinez12 Thank you very much ^_^ It is a good question!
@DesirousDreamer You're welcome. Thanks 'gain
You should not lie for a friend, you should not lie at all.
I agree with you. Thanks
@eliza_godinez12 lying is never good!
@AbbyGreenhill Yes, correct.
• Dhaka, Bangladesh
What you told nice to hear.. But when real situation will come biases will take palce,hope that you are stand still in your position..
I do understand what you are trying to say. Yes, i will stand what i believed is right and make me not to regret in the future.
• Dhaka, Bangladesh
@eliza_godinez12 best wishes for you...
@anrain (81)
• Cebu City, Philippines
In my case,It depends upon the situation,maybe we do something wrong to be right.Yes its really hard to decide.
Yes, each one of us has different opinion. Thank for sharing your side.
@marie42 (984)
• Shreveport, Louisiana
No I would tell the truth. If they did the crime, they need to be accountable for it.
Yes. You're right. Thanks
@marie42 (984)
• Shreveport, Louisiana
@hyeriem (127)
• Jakarta, Indonesia
i would never do that, and i didn't expect my friend to did it for me. because its mean he/she want me to going to hell. i believe there would another life after our life here :)
Yes, really true. We should not tell a lie just to save our friend nor expect a friend to tell lies just to save us. Thanks
@hyeriem (127)
• Jakarta, Indonesia
@eliza_godinez12 you're welcome ^^
@kepweng (6407)
no beacuse god always Watching us
I agree. Thanks
@lingayako (242)
• Marikina, Philippines
That's right. You promised to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, so you must not lie.
Correct.
@sol_cee (13625)
• Japan
I'll get that friend a good lawyer. lol
It could be.
Why should i when i know that he is guilty of a crime . I would certainly not say NO , but yes when i am interviewed .
Thanks for sharing with us your thought. Yes, that's right that we should never tell a lie to cover up someone who's guilty of a crime.
@rina110383 (23520)
Never! Be it a family or a friend, I will not lie especially to the Court. For me, family relationship or friendship ends once a crime has been committed and I have personal knowledge thereof. I'm a law-abiding citizen. I studied it, then I must walk the talk.
That's really right. We should always follow the law no matter what. Thanks
@meganval (268)
If my friend really did something that's unlawful, I will not defend him/her to the Court. Our friendship will not last if I lie because my conscience will hunts me whenever I see him/her.
Yes. Telling the truth is the right thing to always do if it is related to this case. A true friend will not tolerate the wrong doings of his/her friend by not telling the truth. Thanks