Something Fishy and I'm Not at Red Lobster!

@FourWalls (14135)
Seriously, I really and truly didn't used to be a conspiracy theorist. I don't think Oswald shot JFK anymore than I think Courtney Love shot JFK (she was born in 1964, for the record...oh, and I also don't think she had anything to do with the death of her husband, Kurt Cobain), but I really do believe we went to the moon multiple times, and I don't believe that our government was behind the Oklahoma City bombing and 9/11. Having said that, I'm extremely suspicious of this sudden announcement from Alex Rodriguez that he's quitting baseball. I'm also curious about why he's suddenly (as in, the middle of the year) quitting baseball. Most people, especially the "legends," announce that the forthcoming season will be their last (such as Big Papi, David Ortiz); they retire at the end of the season; or, they sustain a career-ending injury during the season. But to just up and quit with two months left in the season? Especially when he's only four home runs away from the 700 mark? My brother and I think there's something fishy going on...and I'm not at Red Lobster! A-Rod, or as he's infamously become known, A-Roid, has already served a one-year suspension for steroid or PED usage. His next suspension is a lifetime ban from baseball. And, of course, people who are banned from baseball cannot be eligible for the Baseball Hall of Fame. My brother and I both think he has been notified to report for a PED test to see if he tests positive. So, instead of taking the test, he's going to quit before he has to report. I hate to think the worst about people, but some people have shown that they deserve the suspicion. There's something just not kosher in this vat of dill pickles when it comes to A-Rod.
I see no conspiracy. He was batting .205. Does that sound like being on steroids? The Yanks are cleaning house. They traded Miller, Chapman and Beltran, They tried to get rid of McCann. Texeira announced his retirement though playing to the end of the season. The Yanks wanted rid of ARod in the worst way. A deal was cut. Who cares about 4 more homers to get to 700? He's not going into the HOF anyway and will be in the PED HOF with Sosa, McGwire, Clemens, Bonds and Palmeiro. The Yanks gave ARod $27 million no strings attached payoff plus a cushy organization job to just go away. BTW, he will be a free agent so he can go to another team if another team is that foolish.
@FourWalls (14135)
It's been so long since the Yankees had a "fire sale" that it's hard to remember what they did last time! They were loyal to players like that, but that was in George Steinbrenner's lifetime, too. As for the PEDs, I say the same thing about that as I do about plagiarizers on sites like this: you don't just do that once. Yes, he was batting .205, and he may have started something to get his average up...then the phone rings and it's the Commissioner's office telling him to go pee in a cup. I don't think a player's ego will let them go from making $517,000 per plate appearance to $517,000 a year so I doubt A-Rod would have gotten a deal for any money in free agency. Like I said, I hate to think the worst about people, but you're talking about a player and a team that wants to win at any cost (the Yankees completely ignore the salary cap and just pay the fine...of course, they can afford to, just like they can afford to pay A Rod $27 million not to play. Dang, I wish they'd make me that offer! ). I could understand them waiting until the end of the year, and it's not like they're going to get something for A Rod with him quitting. Plus, September call-ups are, what, four weeks away, with the roster expansion. You'd think they would have let him tough it out just to see if he could have made those four home runs. I completely agree with you, however, he'll never get the 75% required to be inducted....not in this generation, anyway. In 20-30 years steroids might be the least of the problems in our society; and a generation of sports writers who don't see anything wrong with cheating to get what you want (after all, we let our politicians get away with it) might put him in.
@FourWalls We'll never know the real story. However, with the September call ups, I don't think the Yanks wanted to waste at bats on ARod when they are looking hard at young players. He was so bad that he wasn't in the lineup anymore. Applying politics to sports, people, usually liberals, scream about income equality and how evil fat cat CEO's are making so much money but don't bat an eye when the Memphis Grizzlies are going to pay Mike Conley (?!?!) Kobe money and the Yanks can pay $27 million to make a player go away. Sometimes I wonder why I 'm a sports fan when these players earn obscene paychecks plus have all medical and travel paid for plus all the food they eat for free plus access to train and rehab.
@FourWalls (14135)
@JohnRoberts -- I agree about wondering why we love the sports. I like the game, I guess, despite some of the people who play it.
@akalinus (17276)
It does sound suspicious. It would either be that reason or for an illness we don't know about.
Well, your points do make his retirement sound like something is up. You are probably right about him not wanting to be tested and just taking the easy way out.
@Hanyouyomi (1943)
• Dallas, Texas
"A-Roid?" Really? Man, when people accuse someone of using steroids, they know how to take that crap and run with it... Also Let me if I've go this straight... You're assuming that Rodriguez is retiring because of his lifetime ban from Baseball?
@FourWalls (14135)
Yes, I do. I think he'd rather quit than get caught for a lifetime ban. As I said, just as with the plagiarizers here, it doesn't only happen once. I wrote a discussion earlier about Marlon Byrd. He said, "you'd have to be an idiot to test positive" after he was caught in 2013...and he just got caught again and banned for a year in June! To me, Byrd doesn't have Hall of Fame numbers, while ARod does, but a third suspension bans him from baseball, and with that ban (thanks to Pete Rose) consideration for the Hall of Fame. I will repeat yet again that I feel bad for being so untrustworthy. But I trusted Pete Rose when he swore on fifty stacks of Bibles that he didn't bet on baseball....then he admitted he did. And I trusted Lance Armstrong when he swore on fifty stacks of Bibles that he didn't use PEDs to win seven Tour De France races....then he admitted he did.
• Dallas, Texas
@FourWalls I get your cynicism to the integrity of atheletes... And with as many steroid scandals I've heard over the years, it's proof I'm slow on the uptake, because thi is obviously a thing...But it's weird, as it almost seems like these guys didn't think they'd get caught. It's the same with Russia's Olympics team with the crap they pulled, I think last year... In the Rusian Team's case they expected to not get caught so... Yeah, I get your cynicism...-_-
I don't follow baseball at all but I think you could be right. My opinion - once a creep, always the tendency to be a creep.
Yeah, that is kind of strange.
he was very suspicious of this.He cutting himself off and do not want to be bother with it.