If the Bible says that man has been "acquitted" of his sins upon death, how is it that relgious leaders and scholars say and teach that there is a hell?

If a person has been "acquitted of their sins" upon death, wouldn't that cancel out the popular unscriptural idea of a fiery place of torment? (Romans 6:7)
@koopharper (6353)
I believe there is a hell where the incorrigibly wicked will be destroyed, however, I don't believe in a hell where sinner will be tortured for all eternity. Most places in scriptures where the English translation reads hell it is from a word that simply means the grave.
You are absolutely correct, the Bible's hell (Sheol, Hades), is simply mankind's common grave. I'm happy you brought that point out.
@Genipher (5264)
@koopharper Ah, I get what you're saying. And I have to respectfully disagree. But since I'm just a simple Christ follower and not a studied theologian, I'll let it go. Let's talk more when we get to the other side, eh? Poo. I still need to go cook dinner...
@Genipher I'm happy to agree to disagree. One parting food for thought. Does it make any sense to punish someone via torture a hundred million years for something accomplished in a human lifetime?
@RubyHawk (21147)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I'm not religious but all religion was invented to give power over the population to priests. If people want to believe in myths that's fine if it makes them happy.
@RubyHawk (21147)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@itslikethistome You are entitled to your belief but I don't understand why people take myths so seriously. We live and we die and so be it.
@RubyHawk You believe the Bible is a book full of myths, I believe the Bible is a book full of truth with a beautiful message of hope for mankind from God. There are those who lack faith and accurate knowledge in what the Bible says and that is why you/they cannot understand why some believe what the Bible says. The same principle applies to you, you are entitled to your belief or views about God and the Bible. That's your prerogative.
@RubyHawk We live we die, doesnt end with the Bible. Based on promises and the many Bible based prophecies, God will carry out His original purpose for obedient mankind, before Adam and Eve messed up.
• Peoria, Arizona
I believe there is a good place and purgatory. I do not believe in Hell. Purgatory is for eternal damnation, that is for people like rapists, murders, pedophiles, things that truly harm people's lives. I am not Christian so I do not believe in a Heaven but I do believe in a good place, that good place is about so much as you deserve. Now if you done things like cheating, perhaps your good place might be a little more desolate than a person that has not done anything "bad." This is all my opinion, everyone is welcome to believe what they want to believe. I think if a person has had their sins that truly put harm of believe it should live on with their soul not hopefully not return to Earth. There is no telling what happens to your sins, if they live on or die, if they are forgotten at the pearly white gates, or if someone just stays a ghost on earth. There is no ideal explanation of a heaven or purgatory or whatever. We all have a right to think what we want to think and if people want to think that someone's sins die with them, that is perfectly fine too.
Thank you for your sincere response. I have come to learn that purgatory is not a Bible teaching though