Gel Pens Can Really Leak

I left a gel pen open and it leaked all over one of the doilies. It doesn’t look good. I have to replace the doilie now. So I won’t be buying that particular kind anymore. Those are the ones that I like to use when I do my puzzles. But I bought some new ones the other day. Do you leave them uncapped? I don’t seem to cap them. The new ones are retractable. So all I have to do is click it.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
I have not used a gel pen for decades. I remember buying one and then discovering that they are no use for carbon duplicate forms because you need to press in order to write on all copies.
@else34 (13602)
• New Delhi, India
@Susan2015,I prefer to use fountain pens.They make me relive my middle school days.
awe I am sorry to hear it leaked
I bought a pack of six and they wer old ones I guess and they left big glops of ink on everything - I tossed them. I use gel pens for writing out checks.
Well, I don't have gel pens here and never really used one. I suppose capping them would be necessary for the ones that don't retract.
@JustBhem (42922)
• Davao, Philippines
That's a total mess. I like gel pen and I don't leave them uncapped.
@Raelove (17587)
• Saco, Maine
I have used the retractable gel pens, but they can leak, too, if left to sit too long in a warm place. I love the gel pens, as they print a nice strong image. But the downside is that the ink often penetrates the paper through to the page or surface below it, which isn't always a good thing. And the ink takes forever to dry on certain types of glossy or treated paper. I keep both types of pens around...gel and ball points...for different purposes.
I hate it when a pen leaks.
What brand of gel pens are you using?
Yikes, that sounds like an unpleasant mess. I don't use gel pens, they are too unreliable for my likings.
@maggs224 (1708)
• Alicante, Spain
I always cap mine it stops the pen drying out. I like the way the really fine gel pens work, but the gel is like ink in a fountain pen if it comes into contact with something like your doilie the ink will just leach out of the pen, it is caused by capillary action
i aint too fond 'f those gel pens myself. the son fergot one some years back'n washed 't...noperz, that didn't turn out well fer his clothes nor my washin' machine. i ne'er liked the way they wrote myself, perhaps such's improved o'er the years? i ne'er leave my pens uncapped, dries out the ink quicker...'t least'n my mind anyhow :)
@LoriAMoore (4673)
I've never used a gel pen. Now I'll know not to.
@rina110383 (24070)
My red gel pen leaked last night. It was my first time to use it.
@Platespinner (17062)
I like the way gel pens write, but they never seem to work for very long so I don't buy them anymore.