Television Options - What TV Service Are You Getting?

Paradise, California
.We have Dish Network, and now I'm going to see about this Flex pack. I've been paying for all these channels we don't watch because it was the only way we could get things like the channel we watch for our baseball games. I'm hoping I can whittle it down to only get the channels we want. But I don't know, you probably still end up not being able to choose each one. I know if it works out my bill will go down significantly. I have a new Smart TV and I find myself just watching so much stuff that's streaming and less regular TV. I am home all day doing my online earning stuff .so since I am not having to use much brain power during the da I stare at the thing all day, lol. Honestly I have an abundance of entertainment. I'm interested in what TV options my friends here are choosing in this modern age. There are so many alternatives. I'm trying to get only the channels we regularly watch.Thanks for your input!
We have a smart TV and. 3D TV. I only watch at night. We get most channels from our cable company. In Florida, we use cable and Roku, just so my hubs can get the NY Giant channels.
• Paradise, California
Is there a lot of stuff in 3D?
@CinnamonGrl No, lol! A waste of money!
@LoriAMoore (9922)
We currently don't have cable or dish, just winging it with an antenna and broadcast television.
• Paradise, California
I have a good friend in San Jose who does that too. But they can get a lot of channels that way. Up here you really can't get much that way. And sadly we are TV addicts, lol. My mom and I do other things like play cards and board games, but still, we watch a lot of TV.
We steam through our Roku and watch free tv over the air.
• Paradise, California
I may be doing that in the future. Of course by the time my living situation changes, there will probably be even MORE options.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I use regular ol' Comcast, but I admit that I don't watch much TV, except for sports now and then. I get most of my news from KCBS radio while I'm driving.
• Paradise, California
We had Comcast but my mother got mad that they kep tchanging the lineup. Well, they all pretty much do the same thing. Dish is always negotiating different contracts and changing things up, lol. Then it was hard to get her used to the new remote and we had some great comedies of errors, lol. We got it down now, so i don't want to confuse her again.
I don't watch a lot of TV but my husband does. We have the regular BBC channels that we pay for a licence for, and we have Sky TV as an extra.
• Paradise, California
the BBC programming is excellent, at least all the shows I've been able to watch. They seem to do a really good job with all genres.
@CinnamonGrl Yes, they do, they provide an excellent service.
Just about the rock bottom DirectTV package. If you want to watch sports, you can't cut off cable/satellite. More and more of a dependence on Roku with offers a great deal of stuff for free.
• Paradise, California
We only watch our SF Giants baseball now that my dad's not at home anymore. He is a football fan, my mom and I NOT, lol
@CRK109 (14355)
Right now I have Verizon Fios but it's a little too expensive. Before my contract runs out, I'm going to figure out how to "cut the cord" and find a way to get what I want for less money. I love having Amazon Prime because I get TV shows and movies and music, etc. altogether from them.
• Paradise, California
Yes, I love Prime..Also I do so much shopping from home that the shipping makes it well worth it for me.
@CRK109 (14355)
@CinnamonGrl Same here. Being without a car means I can't run out and shop when I need something. So amazon saves the day for me! Free two day shipping is a blessing!
@OKennedy (1150)
I gave up cable a while back its too costly and as you mentioned they don't let you customize your package by getting the few channels you really want without having to get a special package usually costing more. I now pay for internet and use all the streaming programs I can and it cost less than having cable and paying for channels you don't want or watch just to have the handful you do. I have Netflix pay $12.83,Hulu,Vudu and Youtube are all free . Its enough to keep me happy and then their are websites I use to watch movies and shows not on those streaming programs
• Paradise, California
yeh you really can find allmost anything online.
our t.v. 'tis 14 years ol', with'n antennae booster, we get cbs, nbc, abc, fox, pbs 'n 2 movie channels (oldies, they're great - one plays westerns'n the weekends) 'n that's more'n plenty fer me. i aint one much to watch't, the hubs keeps't runnin' 24/7 when he's home, e'en throughout the night. aint ne'er heard 'f a 'flex pack'. we'd dish years back 'n they were crooks. the channels originally'n the 'package' quickly 'came only available through a higher priced package..i told 'em to com'n get't :)
@bunnybon7 (33044)
• Holiday, Florida
in AZ, i had the same situation. paying for more then i really needed. here we opted not to get cable yet, to expensive. so I found I am fine with streaming all access from my old computer on the tv and Netflix from my LG player. so far all i need and only costs close to 20 bucks for what care to watch and others seem fine with it here also.
• Paradise, California
Oh there is so much you can see streaming now.
I have AT&T U-Verse. I also have Netflix which I love.
• Paradise, California
I still use Netflix, too. Once I was going to stop it and then I remembered the original shows. House of Cards I can not give up, lol. Both Amazon and Netflix are getting such great original programming.
@CinnamonGrl I'm still in season one of House of Cards. I haven't lost interest, just found something else to watch. I will get back to it.
We don't have cable, we just watch Netflix and we have an antenna. It is much cheaper and it works for us. =)
• Paradise, California
Yup if I wasn't home all the time, all this entertainment would be a waste of cash
I used to pay out for satellite television but I found I wasn't actually in my home long enough to sit down and take advantage of all the channels I was paying for! I found it a bit of a waste. I now watch Freeview which basically means a set of free channels with some interesting programs on it. It is free of course but part of the TV license that has to be paid yearly. Far cheaper too!
• Paradise, California
yup if I was never home I'd find it a waste, too! Some of it is anyway
@Ronrybs (7133)
• London, England
I avoid sports like the plague. Over here there are plenty of history and documentary channels too keep me happy
• Paradise, California
I love documentaries, too.
@Rollo1 (16726)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I cut the cord on cable a long time ago. We just have internet. No smart TV, but I have a Roku streaming device. In addition to things like Netflix, there are lots of other free stations such as PBS and paid channels like Hulu for watching episodes of current TV shows. At least I only pay for things I want. Cable is a scam and needs to die.
We have the cheapest TV service that we can get We have dish and the cheapest package that they have.
@Micmac (6837)
I had Dish and Time Warner. Both were cheating crooks and expensive. Dish charges 100 bucks to have their satellite dish removed - ridiculous! I had to call some Mexicans to remove it for me for a small tip. Time Warner goes up on their bill every couple of months for stupid reasons such as updating their tv guide - what a bunch of shyters! I've had it with cable too. Their service is terrible.
I still have cable RCN for my television viewing. I'm always looking for ways to save on this monstrous bill each month
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Tv channels do have catchy names.
@sofssu (14736)
I am not too much of a TV watcher. We have mostly sports channels and news channels because that is all the boys and I watch.