Can you be a spiritual person without belonging to any religion?

@chris2050 (1126)
Manila, Philippines
In a recent argument, a colleague of mine was advocating on that fact that, he is a "spiritual man, but not a religious man" For him, if we define religious people like, belonging to a specific religion, let it be Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc... Then he is not religious. But if we define spirituality like a quest for the truth, the connection to something bigger than ourselves, then he is spiritual. But I have an issue with this, and would like to know what you think. I know you can be intelligent, instructed, without being wise, but I don't believe you can be wise, without being instructed. Some people try to attain spirituality by detaching themselves from Religions, which they consider like "Man-made" "Set of beliefs", etc... But how can you go to a quest, if you don't accept what is already there? Will you just come up with your own Truth? How would you know you are right? For me, we start by becoming a religious person, following a set a beliefs, before reaching a spiritual level. Do you think I am wrong?
@CinnamonGrl (5448)
• Paradise, California
I believe we each have our own very personal relationship with God. "What is already there" is not easily definable. Look at how many religions and sects there are. I think church, temple, mosque, etc. are for community with each other as much as they are for worship. But I don't think everyone feels an affinity with that, some people are only drawn to the God relationship. It's an interesting question, but yes I absolutely believe you can be spiritual without needing organized religion.
@chris2050 (1126)
• Manila, Philippines
Thanks for your contribution
Sometimes I don't how being religious can affect every one. These days I'm still on the struggle as to how to be a good catholic as i have not gone to church for a while. Who are we to see or judge if any one out there is religious. I know for a fact that we made mistakes and we deserve a chance to do something good in the end. Because in the end, it's God that will decide our eternity.
@Bluedoll (15533)
I understand what you are saying. It makes perfect sense that without organized religion their might be even a lack of bibles, people would have little fellowship if needed and the spread of common understandings might get lost. Plus religion extends itself to social aspects like true charity. It is not just about talk but acts of love. So religion has its merits. However, I read a story about this man that was an outcast. He didn't observe religious leadership like he could have. He even broke with tradition. On Sunday for example he didn't wash to the elbow but detached from the religion of his day and actually ate from the fields with his associates. Sacrilege. A spiritual man but not a religious one?
@chris2050 (1126)
• Manila, Philippines
Some people try to reach spirituality on their own, by not following any religion at all. But for me, it's just hard to understand. You see, I consider religion as a pattern, and spirituality as a goal. But before you reach a goal, in my opinion, you need to follow a specific pattern, otherwise you will make it wrong. But maybe it's just me
@Bluedoll (15533)
@chris2050 No, I think you make a good point. We all model after each other and some religions have very good examples to follow. If we were completely isolated alone on a desert island most of our life who knows what patterns we might pursue. People give to other people good examples. Man can not even guide his own step it's true. I think you understood the person in the story to be Jesus Christ.
@Bella128 (2488)
I think you can be spiritual without being "religious". I view myself as being like that. I think there are many words for "God". Different religions have their different names, and in some religions it's multiple figures. Who's to say it's not all really one person and/or figure? Maybe we all pray or think to the same person/figure. Maybe it's a different figure/person for each religion. I'm very open minded and I'm open to the idea that anything is possible and there's no right way and no one true religion.
@chris2050 (1126)
• Manila, Philippines
Well, presented like that, I tend to agree with you
@sabtraversa (8364)
I sometimes think religion is the opposite of spirituality, especially when it comes to the Catholic faith: you repeat the same words (prayers) even 5 times in a row, you have the chance to pay for blessings, you must ask to a priest to confess you (you can't confess to God by yourself), you must read and follow the Bible and the Holy texts literally without even trying to interpret them to our modern society. I don't think such behavior will bring to a spiritual enlightment. I believe that, as long as you meditate, be quiet, listen to your heart and to nature, maintain a kind and positive attitude, you'll spiritually advance.
@chris2050 (1126)
• Manila, Philippines
Thanks for your contribution
@responsiveme (12552)
The usual outlook is that religion and spirituality are close cousins and as you say generally we attain spirituality through our own religion. But personally I feel I feel one can be spiritual without being religious. PS: I wrote a piece for our college magazine on this just the other day.
@chris2050 (1126)
• Manila, Philippines
Maybe you can share the piece you wrote with me, if you don't mind. I will be happy to go through the analysis
@Shiva49 (8786)
I know one can be a good person without belonging to any religion. There are the few who go out to help others without borders. I like to understand all beliefs without being tethered to one. That gives me a more inquisitive mind than view others with preconceived notions - siva
@chris2050 (1126)
• Manila, Philippines
Thanks for your point of view
I agree with you
It is quite possible being spiritual and not following any particular religion. Spirituality comes from within.
@skysnap (17590)
I think it is possible to be non religous and spiritual.
I can understand that religion and spirituality are different