The Gift of No

youtube
@Genipher (5144)
Last night we all had a treat: vanilla ice cream with strawberries and chocolate syrup. I'm slightly orthorexic so we don't normally buy the syrup. One look at those unnatural ingredients sends me screaming for the organic, chemical-free aisles! Buuuut this bottle was given as a gift. And the only thing I hate more than unnatural foods is wasting food. So we had to use it up, which required buying ice cream. It's a viscous cycle. My 9-year-old son, B, practically swallowed his serving whole and then came to stand in front of me. He held his bowl aloft, like the urchin from Oliver Twist. "Mom, can I have another bowl of ice cream?" "No." "Half a bowl?" "No." "A quarter??" "No!" "How 'bout an eighth?" "Sure." "Really?!" "No." Eventually his pestering wore me down. "Fine. If you can tell me what one-third plus one-fourth is, you can have that much more to eat." I thought I was so smart. I thought the rest of the ice cream would be mine and mine alone!! Alas, apparently he's smarter than I! All it took was a moment of thought and he had the answer. No paper or pencil required. sigh. I watched as he lapped up his second helping and thought to myself how fun it was to take a piece of life to teach a boring math lesson. What opportunities from real life helped YOU learn? How do you make learning fun for your kiddos?
@sol_cee (17303)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
He outwitted mom. So what's the answer? lol
@Genipher (5144)
7/12 Which is hard to measure in ice cream! I can't imagine the wit he'll have when he's a teen...
@sol_cee (17303)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@Genipher a tiny bit of icecream! lol
@Genipher (5144)
@sol_cee 5/12 short of a full bowl. Though how do you measure what a full bowl is? And what if you prefer your bowl half empty! My brain hurts now...
@responsiveme (16816)
That was real smart of him. I always talk about how math helps in real life...and this is a new one"It gets you icecream"....hee hee
@Genipher (5144)
Math has a lot of real world applications. When I'm sewing, I use math. When I'm at the store trying to figure out if that bag of rice that's on sale is cheaper than buying it in the bulk section, I'm doing math. I've never quite understood the folks that whine, "When am I going to use this?" Ice cream is a good incentive!
ya do realize that chocolate syrup'll not freeze, right? lol, scary schtuff. i'm glad ya took such's a learnin' opportunity 'n he proved that he's payin' attention, usin' his brain 'n not relyin' 'n gadgets to do his math :D bravo! i learn e'ery day, from the critters that surround to other schtuff.
@Genipher (5144)
Ew. No, I didn't know that. A friend once told me that she found a Dilly Bar from DQ behind her parents piano. It hadn't melted...and the last time they'd gone to DQ was about a year before. They never went again. The things they do to so-called food!! Oh, I guess I should mention that their dad is a math guy. He "forbids" calculators until they get to the higher maths. So the kids kinda have to use their heads and/or write down the problems. And B absolutely hates to write.
@Genipher i put some'n the freezer to prove the point to the hubs, 'fter 2 days, such 'twas still jest's liquid. 'tis been'n the freezer now fer 'bout 6 months 'n still liquid, lol. ick 'n ew 'n that dilly bar :( i'd not to neither. most 'f the 'food' folks purchase/consume these days aint real food sadly. they've been brainwashed that cookin' from scratch't home takes longer. such might take a bit longer, but much healthier. kudo's to yer hubs! gigglin' o'er 'b' not likin' to write :D
@Genipher (5144)
@crazyhorseladycx For the most part I try to keep us eating healthy. I remember a few years back when everyone was in an uproar over the "pink slime" that was being passed off as hamburger. Or maybe it was just an ordeal in my food-snobby corner of the world. It costs more, but I stick to the grass-fed meats. Yeah, it's a struggle with B. He will go above and beyond to avoid writing anything. Even to the point of calculating how many words are in a sentence and rephrasing so there aren't as many to write! The writer in me is appalled!
@zarlamain (24885)
He is a very smart kid.
@Genipher (5144)
A little too smart at times!
@zarlamain (24885)
@Genipher So funny!
@Genipher (5144)
@zarlamain I try.
@Platespinner (17062)
A viscous cycle? Sounds rather sticky to me...
@Genipher (5144)
Hubby helped with that line.
@Genipher it's the kind of word play that my children and I indulge in and that usually goes right over my husband's head.
@Genipher (5144)
@Platespinner Ah, usually I'm the one with phrases flying over my head. Or in one ear and out the other. But I'm getting better. Hubby is training me to catch them as they pass by.
If my daughter asks with such a pitiful look of that boy in the picture , i am sure i will not say No .
@Genipher (5144)
I admit, I've never read Oliver Twist. So I'm not sure if he got his second helping...
Your chid was really smart to know the answer to the math problem so he deserved more ice cream.
@Genipher (5144)
Home schooling at its best!
@rina110383 (24070)
An exciting and fun way to learn math.
@Genipher (5144)
Now I just need to buy a bag of M&M's so the younger kids can learn to count...
@CRK109 (14414)
I think your solution to your son's problem was genius! It was great for both of you and he obviously enjoyed his reward. What a great Mom!
@Genipher (5144)
Aw, shucks.
Sounds like a good gift to me and, that's funny lol.
@Genipher (5144)
Thanks! It won't be too much longer before my kids are smarter than ME!
@SHOHANA (7167)
• Bangladesh
I love ice cream a lot, I don't have kids so I have no answer of you question