Another Big Bear Lake View

View of Big Bear Lake from Snow Summit - Southern CA
It's hard to believe our 3 day getaway to Big Bear was 2 weeks ago! On our last day, we rode up the ski lifts (scenic sky chairs) of Snow Summit. It is a ski resort, but obviously there is no snow in the summer. At the top, we hiked a few trails while watching avid mountain bikers zooming through the trees and hills. This was our view of Big Bear Lake from Snow Summit - some 8000 feet up. It's always nice to revisit special moments through photos Do you ever look at photos and wish you were there again? Photo taken by much2say/SmilePie
Nice shot. It looks like the kind of place I'd want to rest my RV on ..... If I had one ..... so my camera could take a vacation.
Wouldn't that be cool? We don't have an RV either but thought of renting one someday. I don't think any vehicles could actually go all the way up there, but I did see RV parks near the lake - I'd even take that!!
So there isn't a way to drive off road and park for a while @much2say ? Well, I suppose if it's a park then park rangers would be chasin people out, can't blame them for that. Heck if the RV park is close enough for ya to hike to the lake it could be adventurous and fun.
@rebelann Well this particular place is actually a ski resort - so I don't know how or if anyone could actually drive up there. But I'm sure there are other roads outside the resort where you could just park it . . . which we did on the way up the mountains to Big Bear. That RV park was right by the lake I think - looked like just a walk away from the water. We still haven't gone camping with the kids - that's something we definitely want to do and soon!
I was looking at my daughter's kindergarden photo last week. That was a very nice time for me.
Aww - that's sweet. I look at our kids' photos when they were younger from time to time . . . hard to believe how much time has flown! And they look so teeny too!
@much2say I love looking at how my kay has grown now. It's a nice treat.
@sharon6345 I can't imagine my kids all grown up yet . . . it'll happen before I know it!
So pretty! I'd like to go when it snows :)
That's when we want to go back - when it snows! That's what the town is prepared for so I'm sure it'll be plenty busy in winter!
@much2say I have never been but would love to!
@infatuatedbby If I remember correctly where you are, it'd probably be 3 hour-ish drive for you too if you ever decide to go!
@Mike197602 (13402)
• Worcester, England
I'm not a picture taker. Wish I was as I've been to some amazing places and could have done some discussions on them but without my own pics they'd be boring
Not to late to start taking photos :)
@Mike197602 (13402)
• Worcester, England
@infatuatedbby I will do soon.
@Mike197602 I'm looking forward to pictures ok :)
@DaddyEvil (22316)
• Aurora, Missouri
OMG! That is an absolutely beautiful mountain/lake view, SmilePie! I am so jealous! I just finished scanning all the vacation pictures Pretty and I took while on the vacations we used to take around the U.S.! (That was a pain in the tush, for sure! I had three shoe boxes stuffed full of Polaroids!) It was actually a good thing I did scan all those pictures onto a flash drive, though. The Polaroids were starting to show signs of problems. The last time we were able to add vacation pictures to one of those boxes was over ten years ago. I'd say they actually held up pretty well for being that old.
Oh thanks, @DaddyEvil - believe me it was just stunning to see the full view in person - a photo could not possibly capture it's entire beauty! Polaroids!! I know we have boxes of photos too (though not Polaroids) - one day we had better scan them all before they start fading away or get damaged. How long did it take you to get through them all? I think in my mom's photo albums, there are some Polaroids from my aunt (I don't know why I specifically remember that - Polaroids were so cool back then and we didn't have one). I'm curious to see how well they've held up (or not) - that was probably some 30 years or so ago!!
@DaddyEvil (22316)
• Aurora, Missouri
@much2say Well, I couldn't work on them every night. My scanner is one of the first models extant, so it is not the fastest at doing the scanning, but it gets all the details that some of the new models might miss. All in all about three months to scan them all into my pc. (When I was scanning all the family photos into my old computer using that scanner, it took me over a year to get all those pictures scanned into it!) The oldest Polaroids we had in our shoe boxes were Pretty's age, so 28 years old. Some of them were peeling off the backs of the film. The exposed chemical residue (between the two sheets of "paper") can damage the pictures if it touches the image side.
@DaddyEvil You're the scan man! That's a lot of time dedicated to scanning - but hey, that's the only way to preserve these photos! I can still "smell" that Polaroid residue!!
@moffittjc (36687)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've never been to Big Bear Lake, but just from seeing your photo I wish I was there! That's an amazing view!
The view was lovely - and so was the weather! Where we live it had been (well still is) very hot - and it was so perfect up in Big Bear.
@moffittjc (36687)
• Gainesville, Florida
@much2say Given that much of the United States is under a massive heatwave right now, any place in the US that you can find with enjoyable temperatures and weather conditions is a big plus! My parents used to own about 50 acres on a mountaintop in Colorado, at an altitude of about 12,000 feet, so even in the summer we had snow on our property. We used to love going out there every summer to spend our vacation. Of course, that was 30 years ago. I wonder with global warming and all if there is even still snow on those mountains in the summer? Things could be a lot different now.
@moffittjc Wow, that sounds like some awesome property your parents had in CO! Oh I can imagine it must have been great going there for your summers. There were some higher mountains with white tops surrounding Big Bear - we thought for sure it was snow. But we were told that it was actually white sand!
@crossbones27 (15433)
• Redlands, California
Wow, has it already been that long? I am glad I got to see you from down here. Also look, California still does have water. lol
I know - it's crazy how time flies! I thought of you when we left the mountains . . . saw the signs to get to Redlands . But the water levels in the lake seems quite low - we could see how one end was completely dry (I guess it's a field now where it once was a marsh). You could tell from the shorelines near the cabins/houses that the water levels must've been higher.
• Redlands, California
@much2say Awe so nice, I was wondering why nose was itching so much. lol I was actually thinking that when I saw that picture. It looks quite low compared to what it was back in the day. Broad view, but do not remembering seeing so much of the beach. I guess we can call Big Bear Lake Mentone Beach part 2. An inside joke among the locals around here.
@crossbones27 I just looked up Mentone Beach. I never heard of it, and a lot of what I found was "where is the beach in Mentone Beach?" ! Ah, just found a video of it - like a small creek lake? Part 2 !
@bagarad (8159)
• Paso Robles, California
I haven't been to Big Bear in decades. I've never been there when there was snow. I don't remember a ski resort.
We wanted to go this winter, but didn't make it. It was initially predicted there would be no snow because of the drought and all . . . but after all that rain, as friends and family did go there, there was indeed some good snow that had fallen. There are a lot of places to ski up there - along with snowboarding and other winter sports - in fact it almost seemed like that's what the whole town is geared towards.
@bagarad (8159)
• Paso Robles, California
@much2say I don't ski, so I don't go for that reason. The only winter sport I like is ice skating, and I never found a natural place to do it near anywhere I've lived. I used to live near an ice rink, and that's where I would skate.
@bagarad I was a competitive figure skater as an adult . . . oh we all used to talk about how cool it would be to find some frozen pond to skate on (will never happen in Los Angeles). But there are rinks all around here. But I don't think there was a rink at Big Bear.
aw now, see what'cha went'n done? rubbed't'n that'cha didn't lemme come with ya'n family'n this lil holiday, lol. looks jest beautiful 'n soothin'. yepperz, i do such oft 'n then there's others i'm glad that i aint the need to return, lol. big
I'm sorry if it seems like I'm trying to rub it in - didn't mean it that way . . . you just know I'd take ya with us if we could!! And yep, me too, there are some moments I wouldn't want to revisit either - or look at the way I look in those photos !
@crazyhorseladycx You wouldn't just be tagging along - you'd be part of the family!
@much2say aw, thanks, hon! i reckon ya could tell those young'uns i'd be the nutbird aunt they'd ne'er heard 'f, eh?
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Great photo. I do look at my old photos every once in awhile. The last time I was up on Mt. Spokane in the summer, many, many years ago, they had a place where you could look though several site seeing devices (at that time, they were just mounted pipes you could look through) at several of the lakes in the area. Each one told which lake you were looking at. There were 6 or 7 of them.
Oh, that sounds neat! I didn't see any devices like that atop Snow Summit. Several lakes . . . there are that many lakes clustered in the area? I don't think I've ever seen 2 lakes at the same time atop anywhere out here!
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say Yes, I looked on the map to try to remember which lakes could be seen. I know there was Coeur d'Alene Lake and Loon Lake, so going with that here's the other lakes that had to be included: Eloika Lake, Newman Lake, Liberty Lake, Hauser Lake and Hayden Lake. Hayden Lake, Hauser Lake and Coeur d'Alene Lake are all in Idaho. Mt. Spokane is near the Idaho/Washington border. It is 5,887 feet.
@RichardMeister That'd be pretty cool to see all those lakes from one spot. And have you visited all those lakes?
I have pictures of me zooming through the trees at a ski resort on my mountain bike. Wish I was doing it every time I see them.
I can see you doing this in your avatar right now! I guess there are different trails for different levels of expertise . . . I admire the advanced riders who can fly on ramps and such !
@much2say - Oh, me too. Those guys (and girls) rock.
@teamfreak16 Is that what you do too?
@RubyHawk (21171)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I enjoy looking at photos. It's always fun.
I love it too! But of course I like to be at these places in person .
@RubyHawk (21171)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@much2say I don't do much traveling but I like taking pictures.
@RubyHawk We don't travel much either. I take a lot of pics of our kids.
That is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the mountains and lakes, so I live on a lake and want to drive 3 hours to the mountains for vacation. (Of course we haven't done that in a while) As for snow on the mountains, from taking Geology, if the mountain is high enough, even in the midst of summer, it can have snow on the peak. I noticed other posts with pictures, so I am going to check those out.
Aww - thanks! Well I envy that you actually live on a lake! Are there mountains around you? We don't take many "vacations" - it's really a few day getaway at best. And we don't go too far (but there are a lot of places locally that can always be explored, right?). It was rather chilly "up there", but chilly considering we don't know what real cold is living where we do in Southern California. It felt like it could snow to us, but I'm sure we were being wimps and it wasn't really that cold
@much2say The closest mountains is about 3 hours away, it is part of Wayne National Park and the Appalachian Mountains.
@Carmelanirel2 I don't know much about Wayne, but the Appalacians sounds really nice!! So are there a lot of flat lands where you are? We live in a "valley" so we see mountains all around.
I have pictures of my favorite place which is McCall, Idaho. I have pictures of the lake and all different areas. It is a lovely place and I miss it so much. Haven't been able to afford to go up there for several years now. You picture is beautiful.
Thanks! I just looked up McCall . . . oh, that's a beauty of a place too! Hope you can visit it soon as you love it so much!!
@much2say .....It's just a pretty place, no special reason. I enjoy going there. The drive up there is beautiful and doesn't take long to get there. Nice area.
@celticeagle For us it was a nice way to step away from the city - good to get away from routine. Is that a place where you can get to for even just a day visit?
• Pleasant Hill, California
All the time! My current screensaver is a view of the mountains near my cabin in Montana. I still haven't made it up there this Summer.
How nice to have your own cabin in Montana! Well maybe you can still make it up there . . . but at least it's yours and you can be there anytime of the year that you can get there!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@much2say Right Now, it looks like I may not make it up there until mid-September. I might freeze my tootsies off at night.
@TheHorse . Does it get chilly already in September? Such a different story from here as you know . . . when I think of September in Southern California, I'm still thinking summer! I wouldn't mind freezing my tootsies off to be in my very own cabin!
Lovely view! As we watch the Olympics, we see many places we visited in Rio. We've returned to some places several times. Gotta love traveling!
You must be watching some of the local areas they cover and go "Hey, we were at that very spot!" ! I marvel reading about your travels!
@much2say Thank you! If I read a book, I learn about new places to visit or relive the places I've been to. It's an awesome feeling. My younger son told me that I'm too romantic. Lol!
@DianneN But it's good to be romantic that way - and certainly it makes it that much more sentimental to visit these places!
What a scene that regales the eye ! Obviously,on the Snow Summit ,you can get a bird's-eye-view of Big Bear Lake .
Oh yes, if only I could show you the entire view as we saw it! It's funny to think we were riding in a boat down there and in the middle of it just the day before.
@much2say You certainly have fond memories of your time on Big Bear Lake .This getaway does rejuvenate you.
@changjiangzhibin89 It's not often we take this sort of vacation - so it was really nice. Hubby is making plans for us to go back hopefully during winter when there is snow - that will be an even different experience!
@sol_cee (13935)
• Japan
I look at some photos and wonder why I did this and that pose. lol
Oh my gosh, I cringe at some of my old poses . What was I thinking?!
@sol_cee (13935)
• Japan
@much2say not to mention the fashion. And the hairdo! lol
@sol_cee Especially in the 80s!
@dawnald (84157)
• Shingle Springs, California
Purty. Last time I was there was my Aunt's wedding, 2002, I think. How you be?
Good to see ya @dawnald ! It was really nice - and unexpectedly quiet (we thought it'd be crowded being that it was end of summer - guess it must be more popular as a winter destination!). I be good - and wassup wit you? Your kiddos are so grown up (I'm still on FB as a daily lurker . . . I just don't post and such - I try not to leave any evidence that I've been around )
@dawnald (84157)
• Shingle Springs, California
@much2say work, kids, boyfriend pretty much
@simone10 (22247)
• Louisville, Kentucky
What a gorgeous picture! I always relive a vacation when looking at photos and wish I was there again.
Thank you! Yah, I look at this now and wish we were there again. Hopefully the next time we go there will be whiteness all around (in winter).
@simone10 (22247)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@much2say That would be so beautiful to see it all covered in snow.