What mother in her right mind let her three year old ride and fall out of a roller coaster with no adult around?

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Last week there were three amusement park accidents in four days. The one in wanted to write about because it was pure negligence on all parts but the poor innocent three years old who fell out of the rollercoaster. This happened within an hour or two from my house. It took place at an amusement park named Idlewild and Soak Zone in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. This happened on the roller coaster called Rollo Coaster. The way this happened is even though there was a minimum of 48 inches tall to get on the roller coaster there were a THREE-year-old with his SEVEN year old brother, and there were no parents with them. Nobody actually knows the answer to where the parents were, A person i am not going to put her name in this discussion which grew up near there and has to season passes to the park alleges she was behind a different group of three children and their parents. One child wasn't tall enough, and the operate of the ride said that the child could go on because the supervisor wasn't around. Excuse me? I think he has a job to protect those children. And as for that 3 and seven years old children what parent in their right mind lets your two youngsters that small go on an adult roller coaster without parental supervision at least. I would check myself into a state hospital if in letting my three-year-old go with his older brother who was still too young and my child fell out of it at three years old and had to be flown to a hospital in Pittsburgh I would have to be insane!. Would you raise a storm if your child was against the rules let on it? And would you let your child run around an amusement park at those ages without your supervision?
@CinnamonGrl (5807)
• Paradise, California
I was terrified of losing my children in a crowd. So no, I would never let kids that young go off by themselves and for sure not let a THREE YEAR OLD on a roller coaster. This whole thing is horrifying. And WTF was the ride operator doing letting akid that little on. OMG this is infuriating. I didn't even realize it was a three year old, gawd.
@coffeebreakwhatever my sister was constantky with my nephew when he was younger he will be 11 tomorrow (Tuesday) and finally allowed to stay himself for the afternoon when he gets home from school but he has to text my sister when he gets home!
@coffeebreakwhatever same with my sister. He is going into 5 or 6th grade I forget which because they held him back a year!
@moffittjc (43982)
• Gainesville, Florida
Bad parenting choices like this happen more than you think! I manage municipal swimming pools, and you wouldn't believe how many parents just dump their young kids off at the pool, and then leave them there all day. Most don't even know how to swim. We have a policy that a child has to be over 12 years old to get into the pool without a parent, so after these young kids get dumped off, they have to sit there all day because we won't let them in, and they don't know their phone numbers to call their parents or their addresses to tell us where they live. Pretty sad that the world is getting this bad.
@moffittjc (43982)
• Gainesville, Florida
@coffeebreakwhatever Parents have figured out that we are the cheapest baby sitter in town. Drop the kids off at the pool in the morning, pay the $3 to get in, and leave them there all day. Can't beat that price for anything! And the bonus is that when they pick the kids up in the afternoon, they are so tired they go straight to sleep when they get home! A parent's dream come true!
@moffittjc I think that is a great policy! Are the little ones allowed in a baby pool? Or is it under 12 with ault and kiddie pool? Parents today just look for babysitters for their children so its the pool as kids and the mall as teenagers! Some parents today are too self absorbed!
@moffittjc (43982)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marty1 We don't have baby pools anymore, we took them out and replaced them with splash pads (or spray parks, as some people know them as). But whether someone is using the splash pad or the main pool, they still have to be accompanied by an adult if they are younger than 12.
My nephew worked at that amusement park last summer. I am shocked they even let the 3 year old on..Why wasn't he on a kiddie coaster?
@snowy22315 It was the operator they said had a history of letting people who weren't tall enough to get on the thing and they the last time ii heard on the radio have no idea what the parents were doing. I guess they were little and wanted to be on the 'Big Boy' roller coaster. I think it is horrible.
Three years old is way too young to go on that kind of a ride.
@susan2015 I agree much too young.
@sugartoes (41159)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I heard about this & I was just shocked to hear what had happened I wouldn't let my kids go on the rides if I wasn't going on them & that's why parents need to THINK before acting or not take them cause that's a SURE way for something to happen they DON'T expect.
@emptypockets exactly my thoughts! They don't even know anything about the parents. They don't know if they were even there i believe i heard on the radio!That is the big mystery about the parents!
@dodo19 (33037)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I don't understand this. I have 3 kids, all under 5, and there is no way I would let them do this. How could these people let their kids do this?
@thedodo19 the problem is they don't know anything about the parents and where they were.
@thedodo19 I just did some more research the parents were there as they said after he fell 12 feet the highest part after he talked to his parents. But we don't know his condition. Persinally I think the parents are embarassed as they won't let one word be released about his condition. I say make it as public as possible that the parents are so neglectful!.
@dodo19 (33037)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Marty1 I have to agree with you. I feel the parents were neglectful. I feel that the guy who let the kids through was neglectful as well, but the parents should have known better than to let these kids wonder around. I hope this child pulls through.
@sol_cee (15824)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
That is tragic. What could have been a happy event turned into a nightmare.
@sol_cee I agree it could have been a great day. I have never been there but know people who are good parents and take their kids there abd watch them say it is a really nice anusement pak. When used correctly it is a pleasant place!
Yeah, that is insane and, prayers going out to him, he should have never been allowed on the ride, either one of them really with out an adult.
@trbrocks420 In agree at least a parent and my prayers go out to him, too
• Pleasant Hill, California
I would not. A 3-year-old should be under adult supervision. Even if you let them "run off" a bit, to support their sense of independence, you're actually close by, secretly watching their every move.
@thehorse I agree with you. Until I was 10 years old my mom carried me everywhere when we were out. I was an extremely skinny child I was so active. I didn't hit 30 piunds till I was 10 that is when I got too heavy for her to carry then she held my hand everywhere!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Marty1 When I work with younger kids, I have an invisible leash on each one. They know that my main rule is that you come to me when I ask you to.
@TheHorse great rule to have. I have seen people who put something like a leash on the kid at the mall attached to their backs.
@JESSY3236 (6738)
That's terrible. I don't have kids, but if I did, I wouldn't do that. I think it's the parents fault, not the park.
@jessy3236 I agree I don't ride amusement park rides because I am afraid of them. If I had any kids, I would trust my 49-year-old sister who also happens to be a responsible adult who adores roller coasters take my kids. But they would have to be at least 12 years old, and they would have to meet height requirements! She would take good care of her niece or nephew and I would have my kid in his or her bed that night they went!
@JESSY3236 (6738)
@Marty1 I love amusement rides.
@miniam (9236)
• Bern, Switzerland
Parents sometimes make poor choices,when nothing happens,you do not hear about them,when something like this happens,it makes you question so maybe they have made some poor decisions in the past but went unnoticed because nnothing happened.
@rina110383 (24095)
If I have a 3 year old child, I might not even bring him/her to a crowded amusement park, moreso, let him/her ride on a roller coaster. That negligent parent should be punished.
@rina110383 yes the parent deserves to be punished. I agree wholeheartedly.
@CRK109 (14459)
I'd like to think that no one running an amusement park ride could let any child of mine go on a ride because I would be right there overseeing what happened with my children. It's dangerous enough for people old enough to go on their own. I know darn well that if parents aren't going to take care of their children in an amusement park, surely no one else will, either.
Simple answer.... NO!! AND NO!!!
@akalinus (17275)
When my kids were that age, they rode things in kiddie land. Little cars, airplanes, boats etc.It is insane to let a three-year-old on the roller coaster, even with an adult. The little boy that was killed on a water slide the other day was not a hundred pounds. Those rules are in effect because you need to be a certain weight or height because the safety features are built for adults, not children.
@Shiva49 (13389)
This is irresponsible behavior from all involved especially the parents. I think even other species know how to take better care of their offspring - siva
@OreoBrownie (3634)
• Elberton, Georgia
The parents should be in jail, and it hope the child is OK. The operator should be fired and the company should be sued. Have I covered enough.
@ida123 (6247)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
I can't let my child ride without my supervision and especially to this 3 year old child?
@PainsOnSlate (20328)
That is child abuse, the parents should be looked into. I would never allow my kids to do that on their own.
@epiffanie (10412)
Oh dear! some parents are obviously not in their right minds.. And what amusement operators in their right minds would allow the 7 and 3 years old kids get on that coaster without adults with them?.. crazy!