My year as a military bride

@sallypup (30110)
Moses Lake, Washington
For one year I lived about 5 hours across a mountain range from my dearly beloved. Some married couples live like this as just normal. For us, it was not normal. He had finally landed a decent job. Due to his sight issues he couldn't get a job exactly where he wanted. If somebody offered him work, he had to pick up and move it. So he did. Mean while I was in the middle of being a caregiver for seniors in their homes. And we had a house to deal with. And yes, dog and cats. So he got an apartment over at his work place area. I stayed at our old place and did my best to carry on. Many weekends I drove the miles over the mountain pass to visit hubby in his apartment. Sure was not fun when Sunday arrived and I had to leave. Alone again. Probably stress nailed me a couple of times. I fell off our bed once and hit my already weak shoulder and upper arm hard enough that I thought I'd broken it. Another time as I waited in a construction zone for traffic to move, an SUV whammed into me and woke my fibro up some. I loved that house by the sea. I loved those woods hikes and explorations in firs and ferns. But hubby was East and I was West. I had to quit the caregiving work and figure out life over where sagebrush and magpies live.
I dont know how people do that for long, it seems tough
@sallypup (30110)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Jessicalynnt Makes me scratch my head, too. I know a guy who worked over here during the week and went home to Portland weekends- at least a 5 hour drive one way.
@sallypup that would stink!
@sallypup (30110)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Jessicalynnt I couldn't handle that drive each and every week.
@RubyHawk (30532)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I can imagine how hard it would be separated from your hubby. I hope it all worked out well for both of you.
@sallypup (30110)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@RubyHawk Good to hear from you. His landing the job propelled us above the poverty line. Sweet.
@RubyHawk (30532)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@sallypup it's always good to have higher earnings.
@sallypup (30110)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@RubyHawk For sure. And hubby finally after years and years got a job that reflected a bit of his education.
I must be missing something - I thought you said he was ib the military and that was the reason you were separated....
@sallypup (30110)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@AbbyGreenhill I tried to show that I was comparing my year to that of a military bride. I wasn't one but it felt like I was.
@sallypup I was a military wife and lived with my husband, I guess I didn't quite get what you were trying to say.
• Eugene, Oregon
Glad that he found a good job, but too bad it took you so far east aince you love the west side.
@sallypup (30110)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JamesHxstatic And now that he is heading toward retirement, we are in the crosshairs of what to do? Better services West side. Better trails West side. Better culture and university west side. And yet we are planted here. Thinking....
@epiffanie (10447)
I can imagine how difficult for couples to live away from one another .. I didn't want that for myself so I told my husband not to work overseas even if the salary was double..
@sallypup (30110)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@epiffanie Overseas would be super hard to deal with.
lol a lot to be said for sage brush and magpies as they were part of live in my home state as a child I would freeze there now but it did prepare me for life in other] places too
@sallypup (30110)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Mappies are so loud!!
@responsiveme (18294)
We travel back and forth now, so I understand what you'll went through. Thankfully all that is behind you and one day we hope to be back together :)