Food Prep Weekend

@noni1959 (3739)
I grocery shopped for two weeks and kept it healthy to prep meals so I have no excuse for grab and go. Grocery shopping can be so exhausting for me. After putting the perishables away I had to rest awhile and had some hummus with chicken to revive myself. I was so proud not one junk piece hit the cart. I did eat a free cookie at the store... I made roasted broccoli with cauliflower, onion, shallots, peppers and spices, roasted and baked chicken diced up and shredded, turkey loaf with oatmeal instead of bread, onion, spices, egg and BBQ sauce, a Mexican cole slaw, mixed green salad, hard boiled eggs, Pico de Gallo, and mason jar lunch salads for work. I was too tired to finish so today will be 25 breakfast burritos made with egg, tomato, onion and cheese to freeze and three different healthier made oatmeal cookies to freeze as well. I'll go pick pear, apple and more blackberries to freeze and cook up batches of treats to freeze as well. No excuses. First I'm having a lazy morning of coffee and on here. My daughter got home last night and looked in the stocked refrigerator and said, "I don't know what I can eat." I gave her the meaneyes and she happily filled her plate.
@skysnap (18039)
I just had dinner but feeling hungry again :P
• Aberdeen, Scotland
Your post is making me hungry, sounds lovely.
@noni1959 (3739)
I want to make some homemade hummus as well. I love fresh made foods and lately avoiding the fast food places. I feel better when I do. It's a challenge when out and about though.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Sounds like you have a lot of good things fixed to eat. Sometimes nothing looks good and that may have been why your daughter said what she did. But it sounds like your "meaneyes" shook her out of it.
@noni1959 (3739)
She was looking for the junk lol. We try to keep each other in check while trying to get healthier. It's a long process but we are getting better at it.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@noni1959 Good to hear you're getting better at it. Keep it up.
@noni1959 (3739)
@RichardMeister This past weekend I did a crock pot enchilada soup, sausage and roasted veggies, and a blueberry cake with huge blueberries from here. I'm trying to keep it up on the weekends. Tonight I made mason jar lunches for work.
@fcmondez (421)
• Quezon, Philippines
Oh, I love grocery shopping! What I don't have is the refrigerator that is why I can't stock up on perishables and healthy food. I have been wanting one for so long but we are still waiting until we can move to our condo unit. We are renting currently. Keep up cooking healthy!
@noni1959 (3739)
I hope you can get one soon. I was without one once when mine broke and it wasn't easy living out of an ice chest.
@fcmondez (421)
• Quezon, Philippines
@noni1959 Yes.. we don't even try the ice chest thing. What we do is go to the supermarket and buy ingredients on the day when we will be cooking. Since it is a hassle to go to the market everyday, we always end up buying processed or canned goods which really unhealthy.
@noni1959 (3739)
@fcmondez When I ate out of an ice chest, I also bought a lot of can too but tried to get stuff like black beans, whole wheat tortillas and such but still fell short of healthy.
kudos fer yer healthy shoppin', hon. the hubs's gotta tend such here, the body'll not hold out fer such 'n then be able to safely drive home..much less haul'n the groceries. thankfully i'd ne'er that trouble with my young'uns, they preferred to eat fresh schtuff. funny how all that changed when they got out'n their own, lol.
@noni1959 (3739)
I love fresh fruit and been trying to eat more daily. Sometimes these bad habits come back. It's funny how they change on their own for sure. lol
@rina110383 (24070)
Those are mouth watering meals!
@noni1959 (3739)
I'm going to make an enchilada soup this weekend. I'm trying to get back to making new recipes a couple times a week.
@sallypup (28651)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That's a lot of work! The food sounds very tasty. I wish I could go out and pick blackberries. Another plus for moving to Western Oregon: blackberries. You are working hard at your health.
@noni1959 (3739)
The blackberries really take over but the berries are so delicious. I am still picking them and sharing at work for those who live in the city and don't get to go out picking.
Our son would say there was nothing to eat in the house when we had just gone shopping. Kids are strange critters!
@noni1959 (3739)
My kids did that growing up too. Matter of fact will still say it even if their houses or mine is full of food.