What Kind of Apples?

@noni1959 (2845)
We have an orchard of apple and pear trees but they are mixed. We also have yellow plum and grape we discovered while going deeper into the forest. One tree up by the house already have red apples but I have no idea what they are. The ones below in the orchard are in various stages and sizes. If I can figure out what they are it would help with my planning for freezing, canning, and baking. Also when I can pick to ripen in the house before the elk, deer and bear eat them up. A coworker suggested cutting pieces out of apples from each to see if bitter or sweet if green. What if they are green and just not ready?
@fcmondez (427)
• Quezon, Philippines
We do not have apple trees here in the Philippines so we just buy them in the supermarket. Maybe you should wait a few days before picking them up to see if they change color.
@noni1959 (2845)
Some will change in September - mostly the red ones but there are varieties that ripen in July/August like the one by the house. I'll go pick a bunch of those today. The people who lived her before didn't leave any info on them.
• Denmark
@noni1959 Haven't you got any neighbours you can ask?
@fcmondez (427)
• Quezon, Philippines
@noni1959 if you pick them by mistake and they are still not ripe, will they still ripen if you stock them for a few days first? Just wondering because it works for bananas. :)
@rina110383 (24224)
I wish I know something about apples but they don't grow here in my country.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
When I was growing up there was a apple tree on the farm with very small apples. Everyone called them "crab apples." They were a bit on the bitter side but still eatable. I don't think we ever canned them.
@sishy7 (27736)
Oh, that would be an impossible task for me... I have no idea, almost, about the different kinds of apples...
@Ujjawal29 (253)
• New Delhi, India
Just take an apple and check by cutting it. I think thats the best you can do
• Denmark
What if? You just wait a bit longer!
The green ones are still full of anti oxidants but they are not as sweet . . . better to be cooked down with a little nutmeg and cinnamon (if you are NOT diabetic cause cinnamon for a diabetic is dangerous).