Would you accept an online marriage proposal?

Perth, Australia
I have no idea why this popped into my head. Nor if this has actually been done before but if your lover asked you to marry them via Facebook, email, MyLot....or any other sites where you talk online, how would you feel? I mean putting aside those relationships where people live so far away from each other who rely on the internet to keep in contact. Not talking about those relationships. But how would you feel if that's how you got asked? Would you feel disappointed that they didn't put much thought into it? Be annoyed? I know I'd feel like I wasn't special.
• Denmark
Everybody knows that many people meet each other online nowadays and also marry. As far as I know such marriages are as successful as the ones which began with real life meetings. But online meetings certainly develop into personal meetings sooner or later. That means that there is the chance to propose in person. I wouldn't have the feeling of not being special. More that the partner was a coward.
• Perth, Australia
@MALUSE That's a good point too. Cowardliness could definitely be apart of something big like a marriage proposal.
@MALUSE Exactly. If marriage is being considered, certainly the people are spending time together.
@cacay1 (32383)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@MALUSE, wow very good explanation, agree.
@Daljinder (20226)
Depends on the person's character and personality. That special one would even make that online proposal memorable. Not necessarily by going all out. But just by being himself! Some people like to prepare and some like to do things spontaneously. So yeah ...depends!
@topffer (31815)
• France
If you say "yes", he will make a Skype phone call to your parents to ask officially your hand.
• Perth, Australia
@Daljinder Good point actually. If it was literally just a "Will you marry me" online, I don't know....just seems boring and like no effort was put into it. But yeah it still does depend on the person and the couple as well with how they are and what they like.
@cacay1 (32383)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@moffittjc (38209)
• Gainesville, Florida
You mean I can't propose to you through myLot? LOL Seriously, that is something that needs to be done in person, and I would hope the guy would make it s special occasion somehow. And yes, the man needs to put some thought and attention into the matter, as he is soliciting his partner for what should be a lifelong commitment. And lifelong commitments can't be taken lightly. So, effort is a big deal in a marriage proposal!
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc lol nope. Sorry. It has to be more special! Very good answer! I sometimes wonder how I would be proposed to.....well IF it will even happen! I hope it is something special and well thought out.
@sabtraversa (10033)
@moffittjc A public declaration, a post on myLot. The content must be breathtaking, with a photo of my man kneeling with a ring on hand. That would only work if I met this person on myLot, that would be very romantic and meaningful. I'm easy, right?
@moffittjc (38209)
• Gainesville, Florida
@VivaLaDani13 I will pop the question to you when you least expect it! But I promise it will be special!
@skysnap (17489)
I know this girl online.. she's 22 young and we are communicating almost every day.. distance friendship.. and she did asked me that question. I being 10 years older than her, I directed her back to her own age group. The reason being india is conservative and it's suffering with such age gap. If i were to be in US or other first world country, I'd have given thought about it.
• Perth, Australia
@skysnap That's fair enough. I mean you have to be comfortable with it all too anyway.
@skysnap (17489)
@VivaLaDani13 yeah true that.
@vandana7 (58981)
I have known marriages that are successful with that age gap.
@topffer (31815)
• France
Why not with a text message? I am perhaps conservative, but I think that a marriage proposal is something important enough to need to be done face to face, and not by email or on FB.
• Perth, Australia
@topffer lol a text message would be so horrible! And I agree with you completely!
@sabtraversa (10033)
@topffer @VivaLaDani13 A text message. It makes me go back in time, now I think of a piece of paper, like in the primary school years: Will you marry me? YES or NO, check the answer! At least text messages have a cost.
@vandana7 (58981)
I am from your club...perfect marriage proposal is the guy placing a pillow on the floor, and then kneeling on it...so that there is no injury to the knee and asking for the hand, which hopefully does not come out of the arm pit, kissing it...and proposing the Romeo...or whichever Shakespearean play it was...
@rina110383 (24224)
I'll just ignore the proposal. I prefer being asked personally and not online.
• Perth, Australia
@rina110383 Have you ever wondered how you'd like to be asked? Like the location etc
@rina110383 (24224)
@VivaLaDani13 No. I even doubt that someone will have the guts to ask me for marriage. People around me tell me that I intimidate them and I appear to have a strong personality to some. Most likely, no one will ever dare to propose.
• Perth, Australia
@rina110383 You never know. Just people say so doesn't make it true. People just may like / see your personality as a challenge too. To ask you to marry them.
@vandana7 (58981)
Moles, warts, bad breath, missing teeth and body odor are important too..
@Daljinder (20226)
@vandana7 um........ you forgot this
@vandana7 (58981)
@Daljinder ... Oh yeah..the seat should be in the right place too.. or did you mean constipation.
• Perth, Australia
@vandana7 haha true!
seems most impersonal to me :( i'd then run screamin' like my hair 'twas'n fire :)
@vandana7 (58981)
Not at all! It is meant as a joke...nobody is serious!
@vandana7 some're very serious from what i've been told...been some years 'go, but they'd go to the local waterin' hole (aka: boot scootin' joint, aka: local bar) pourin' their woes out when such 'twas either thwarted 'r 'twas 'xcepted 'n then regretted.
• Perth, Australia
@crazyhorseladycx lol I can imagine someone running around like that!
@CinnamonGrl (5772)
• Paradise, California
It's ridiculous for me to even think about it now, lol. I don't even date any more. But. . .I would not want to be asked anywhere that wasn't private. For me, that's a very romantic moment, I'd want it to be just me and my sweetheart, and I'd want it sealed with a real kiss, not a "virtual" one lol. I feel like you do, like it would make me feel not very special.
• Perth, Australia
@CinnamonGrl I like the idea of it being private too actually. Not having a go at the ones who do this but for me personally, I'd hate to be asked with a huge crowd around me. Like how some proposals are done at a baseball game or at a family gathering or something. I mean what if the answer was no lol how embarrassing!
• Paradise, California
@VivaLaDani13 oh gawd yes, think of the humiliation.
@msiduri (5777)
@VivaLeDani13 This is so sudden! Besides, I have to tell you, I'm already married.
• Perth, Australia
@msiduri lol that's cool!
@zarlamain (24146)
For me, not really. I would reject the marriage proposal if it was done online. It wouldn't seem as sincere and I just wouldn't like it. I like the traditional, face to face marriage proposal.
• Perth, Australia
@zarlamain Yeah I understand what you mean. I'd prefer face to face too.
@zarlamain (24146)
@VivaLaDani13 Yes, much more sincere!
@Daljinder (20226)
@zarlamain @VivaLaDani13 Butt...butt...butt.... Sincerity doesn't depend on the mode of proposal. It depends on the person doing the proposing whether online or face to face.
@dodo19 (29276)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Honestly I'm really not sure. I think I'd be a little confused at first. But maybe I'd accept. I'm not quite sure at all.
• Perth, Australia
@dodo19 It would be a very odd way to be asked and would be such a let down. I think a majority of girls / women day dream about such a day to happen and hoping it's something magical. Online doesn't sound magical or romantic at all lol
@dodo19 (29276)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@VivaLaDani13 lol. Doing it online doesn't have the same effect.
@Daljinder (20226)
@VivaLaDani13 If a person wants to he can make the online proposal more special than the face to face one. Plenty of sources online to do that. Skype call, roping in friends / family for special arrangements, setting up stage/ location for proposal to happen, candles, dinners, whatever, luring the girl to the location on false pretext, etc...etc... lol Imagine a park and a pathway lit up with lights leading to a private set up and a laptop screen with your guy online.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
When I read your title the first thing I thought was you were talking about a couple who only knew each other via the internet and I thought, no way should a woman accepted such a thing. But after reading the post and understanding exactly what you mean, I think a woman would feel very let down by such a proposal. Even if they lived apart and kept in touch by the internet I would still think the woman would be somewhat disappointed that he didn't make a trip to do it in person. Doing it by the internet makes me think the man isn't confident enough to think she will say, "Yes." It would be much easier to be told "no" on the internet than in person.
• Perth, Australia
@RichardMeister That is true. Even people who are madly in love have a chance of a marriage proposal being declined. I do feel bad for men for doing such a thing though. It is a major step and can imagine it being really stressful not knowing how the woman is going to react. But still, online is a very weak way to show you want to spend the rest of your life with them.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@VivaLaDani13 I agree with you. It may be a hard thing for a man to do but doing it on the internet just doesn't seem right to me.
I would prefer mine in person.
• Perth, Australia
@Tampa_girl7 Yeah I agree! I'd rather be in person so I can then hug and kiss him.
I would want it to be in person.
• Perth, Australia
@paigea Me too!
@sabtraversa (10033)
If someone proposed to me in person, kneeling etc, I would be overemotional... argh, can't even think of it. I'm pretty sure my current boyfriend would propose in the classic manner though. However I would appreciate a "distant" proposal, only if it's followed by a great date with engagement ring and a bouquet of red roses. At least I would be ready.
• Perth, Australia
@sabtraversa lol yeah that is something I wonder about. Like if I was ever to be proposed to, I hope I was wearing something nice lol
@JESSY3236 (5479)
I would no because I'm already engaged.
• Perth, Australia
@JESSY3236 Congratulations! How long have you been engaged for?
@JESSY3236 (5479)
@VivaLaDani13 It's been over 10 years.
• Perth, Australia
@JESSY3236 Have you guys set a date yet?
• Dhaka, Bangladesh
i dont think yet what i will do..if i got then i will think about it..
• Perth, Australia
@kamruzzaman5ndc That's fair enough. :)
• Dhaka, Bangladesh
• Perth, Australia
@kamruzzaman5ndc Why the sad face?
@cacay1 (32383)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Maybe others are glad if their love proposes marriage anywhere, hehehe.
• Perth, Australia
@cacay1 lol that's true! I guess it just depends on the person.
@cacay1 (32383)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@VivaLaDani13 , yeah it depends on the person's way of thinking, it is just on line proposal by the way hehehe.
@noni1959 (2845)
If the relationship wasn't long distance, I would not accept and would rethink the relationship.
• Perth, Australia
@noni1959 Yeah that's very understandable!