Goofus

Otis Orchards, Washington
When I heard the word “goofus” the first thing I thought is it meant someone who is a little off the mark. Someone who is a bit immature. When I researched the word I found it had nothing to do with a person or people. It actually came from a free-reed, saxophone-like instrument originally called a couesnophone but that was hard to say in English so it was called a queenophone. The name was eventually shortened a “goofus.” But there was a cartoon title Goofus & Gallant that showed Goofus doing things immaturely while Gallant showed how a more mature person would handle the same situation. So Goofus could have become a name associated with someone who was considered immature. The fact the “goofus” closely resembles the word “goofy” may also make it sound like a person who is a bit off the mark. Here’s the song “Goofus”:
Skip navigation UploadSign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Find out whyClose Rosane Maia SubscribeSubscribedUnsubscribe165165 Loading... Loadin
I've never heard that song before!! I associate goofus with "goof" too . . . but somehow I think of doofus too. Who knew that originated from an instrument - I've never heard of it either! I was thinking maybe it had a funny sound .
@RichardMeister It seems it's really hard to recover once the popularity goes down - seems to happen with most musicians that are big for a long time. There will always be fans, but it takes a lot to stay current - especially with sales. Everyone's popularity will peak at some point - it can't last forever.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say That's true. If I remember right they went from 4 x platinum to just platinum which is still pretty good. There are so many Carpenter songs, there for a while I was finding one I didn't know about nearly every day. Richard put out a new CD called 40/40 that was 40 hits the Carpenters did. The other 40 stood for 40 years since their first recording. I believe that was 1969 so the 40/40 must have come out in 2009. I also understand they had 10 hits in a row before their record sales took a slump.
@RichardMeister I wonder what made their sales take a slump . . . was their sound just getting "old"? Or maybe newer music and sounds just kept scooting them over to the side. In any case, I guess they did pretty well during their prime.
@suziecat7 (3399)
• Asheville, North Carolina
Love the video. It was light-hearted and fun. I have never heard of a goofus before.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
The only thing I don't like about the video was it's a bit blurry. I had heard the word goofus before but always thought it meant someone who wasn't very bright.
I like the sound of the word.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
All I can say is, "Yeah."