Times of Worry and Doubt

Daytona Beach, Florida
I’ll tell you the one thing which always brings worry to mind when growing up is the fact that you have only one parent left and other than that you are quite alone in the world. In my situation as a teenager I realized that my mom and I also had a two generation difference as she had me late in life. With dad gone my godfather who lived in Westchester, New York also took a hand in my upbringing so I knew that there would always be someone else I could rely on. There was also an elderly woman who accepted me as her sort of adopted grandchild. This was of some comfort to me because I certainly didn’t want to find myself all alone and scared or in a situation where I needed some advice and didn’t have anyone to turn to. The first incident which brought me some worry was when mom found out she had a polyp in her stomach which had to be operated on. I was in high school and fifteen years old then. This involved mom having an operation and spending some days in the hospital. Up till then I had never been on my own and it didn’t sound good to me. Oh, yes, I know Hollywood would tell us differently. A teen finding herself alone and throwing wild and crazy parties. That was the farthest thing from my mind. I had to figure out how I was going to get through the nights on my own and get up in the mornings to head for school. I’ll tell you that from this incident I have memories of going to school and in the afternoons one of my girlfriends had a boyfriend who already drove and had a car. So we would all pile in and they would drive me to visit my mom. Everyone waited in the car and I went up to visit. Changed mom’s flowers that someone had brought and spoke with her for awhile. Then it was home, some time with my friends, doing homework and making sure I fed myself and the ritual would begin again the next day..I was so glad when mom finally got back home. The second time I was already a young adult at university 20 years old. I attended Long Island University Brooklyn Center by choice so I could live at home. This was mostly due to the fact that I really didn’t want to go away to university, my mom would be all alone, and it would cost way too much and we certainly couldn’t afford it. My mom continued to work for the Latvian newspaper several blocks from where we lived and I took the subway to school every day. One day I was ready to leave for school when the phone rang. My mom had fallen on the steep stairs at work and appeared to have broken her leg or ankle and they were waiting for an ambulance. Now the newspaper offices were in an old building which had three floors and very steep staircases. God was with mom that day when she slipped and fell because if she has taken a tumble down those stairs mom would have joined dad right away in heaven. That day I didn’t go to university instead I rushed to mom’s work place to get there ahead of the ambulance. Sure enough she had broken her ankle but didn’t need an operation. She stayed in the hospital close to two weeks and had a cast from the foot up to the thigh. When I went to take her home it was a regular circus for me to get her into the taxi. I had no idea now to roll her in and I was worried that I would shut the door on the cast. She spent another 4 weeks at home and I had neighbors who were friends coming in shifts to take care of her while I went to school. That is why I really wish that I had had a large family which would have made things so much easier.
Yes families can be helpful my friend..I am glad you had the people you did to be around at least. It must have been hard and scary for you alone. Some families however do not cooperate so well.
Mom and I lived in an apartment and we had Latvian people all around who I knew well yet I was still afraid to sleep alone so it was a very tough time @TiarasOceanView
@RubyHawk (25111)
• Atlanta, Georgia
My mother had to raise her children by herself, so I can understand how you felt. My dad left home when I was seven years old and we had a rough time, but we got through it although it wasn't easy. I had one uncle and one step uncle but they were no help to us. A large family would be helpful.
I totally agree @RubyHawk how I would have loved to be able to turn to older siblings who perhaps already had families.
@RubyHawk (25111)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@RasmaSandra So would I have loved older family members. I have four sisters and one brother, we are close but out kids are not.
@1creekgirl (10327)
Sounds like your life experiences have helped you really appreciate friends and family. Bless you!
It has certainly been a learning time @1creekgirl Blessings to you too.