Hiking in Acadia

Winston Salem, North Carolina
It’s hard to believe that we’ve been home from our summer vacation for a full four weeks already. Life has mostly gotten back to normal, but I’m still digging through photos in an attempt to put together a photo book of our trip and my right ankle is still a bit tender from my unwise decision to wear sandals on our first hike in the park. I own a pair of good hiking boots, but usually opt against wearing them in warm weather since they make my feet hot. I have a pair of sport sandals that meet the demands of most of the trails that we hike in our home state, unfortunately they weren’t up to the surface conditons on the mountain trails in Acadia National Park. Acadia has two types of trail; easy and flat and strenuous straight up and down. After that first hike I stuck with my boots for all hikes with any significant elevation change. I’ve turned my ankle a time or two in the past, and given time it will back to normal...of course it might already be back to normal if I hadn’t hiked another 50+miles on it in the week after I turned it. Maybe someday I’ll stop having to learn everything the hard way.
I have alpine hiking boots and regular hiking boots. Guess what? I don't hike, but they were too cute not to buy. I wear them for traveling in the winter.
I wear mine a lot in the winter. They're warm and comfortable. Warm is not a positive attribute this time of year.
@UncleJoe (8071)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Back in the 70's I always wore leather engineer boot when running heavy equipment. I spent a sweltering week on an open dozer with no cab shield. The bright yellow steel decking would get so hot that I had to repeatedly a water hose to fill these water proof boots to keep from burning my feet through the soles.
Ouch! Apparently that experience has been seared on your memory! Before we headed home from the beach last week the 19 year-old wanted to go walk along the shore beside the channel to the intracoastal waterway at Ft Macon. The sands were scalding hot, and after wading in the surf and collecting a significant amount of sand on our feet we didn't want to put our footwear back on until we'd rinsed off the sand (past blisters have taught us that sand in shoes can be rather unforgiving). Had I thought about it I would have take video of my teens scurrying across the sand to the next shady spot or chunk of granite from an old break-wall in an effort to cool their feet (I'm sure we looked pretty funny to anyone watching).
@UncleJoe (8071)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Platespinner Oh, Yeah! I remember those days as a kid during the 50's. My short legs made the scorching beach seem a lot wider between the car and the water.
@UncleJoe Funny, I don't remember EVER being a kid in the 50s...
bless yer heart, i'm sure that 'xtra mileage didn't help much. hope ya get 'er healed soon. i'd love to be able to do hikes such's that :D
I enjoy hiking tremendously, but last month's vacation was a bit of a wake up call that I'm not as young as I used to be, and trying to keep up with my teenagers might not be such a good idea.
@Platespinner i reckon such 'd be kin to paintin ceilin's? we find the next morn there's those lil muscles that we seemed to've plum fergotten 'bout :)
@crazyhorseladycx That sounds about right! I think half my body is composed of muscles that are usually allowed to relax and tend to take it rather personally when I attempt to make them move around a lot!
50 km, that is a lot of hiking. Hope your ankle heals soon.
Not 50 km, 50 Miles (closer to 80 km). The ankle isn't too bad, it just aches a bit at the end of the day.
@Platespinner 50 km would still counted a lot! I do that in a month or two maybe.
@paigea normally I get 40-50 miles in a month...doing it in a week was a bit of stretch!
@silvermist (15807)
@Platespinner The sight of that trail sort of scares me.It is wonderful that you could go hiking like that.Hope your ankle gets healed.
Some of the trail was a bit scary, but the view was pretty spectacular!
@silvermist (15807)
@Platespinner Yes,the photo is good.
I hope that your ankle heals soon.
Thanks Marie! Fortunately it's only a minor "ache" and isn't much more than a minor annoyance at the moment.
@norcal (3272)
• Nevada City, California
Wow, that sounds like an active vacation.
I don't think my husband is capable of putting restful and vacation in the same sentence .
• Eugene, Oregon
When the going gets tough, the tough get going, and you proved it.
It was keep going or be left behind. My family isn't always very sympathetic when it comes to those of us who might not be quite as fit and limber.
It's good that you can still can hike those kind of trails . Me, after rolling down a hill we hiked in my younger years , i never tried every again. That one in the picture is a scary trail for me . I never will try that . Are you in the picture by the way ?
I took the photo. The person close to the camera is my youngest daughter, the blue further up the hill is my older daughter, and the small patch of orange is my 19 year old son.
My teen twisted her ankle wearing Dr Martin boots on a long walk a couple of weeks ago
I have a pair of Merrell boots that managed to provide the support my ankle needed to be able to keep hiking for the rest of the trip.
Are the trails man made? Those steps have been hewn out haven't they? That looks really hard work.
There are some sections of the trails that are man made, in that the rocks have been rearranged a bit, there were also a few areas where they had anchored iron rungs into the granite, but overall the trail was as natural as possible. There was significant effort to keep the trail on the rocks and not on the exposed soil to limit damage to local flora.
@Platespinner That's good to know.