A bit of protection on Writing Sites

@tallawah (9315)
Kingston, Jamaica
When you join, read the TOS (terms of service). You will learn if/when you will be paid. A few sites pay automatically, (or so they say) most limit your pay by setting 'thresholds', that is , for example, you are paid when you reach $10.00. Thresholds are set to limit payment. They are especially vicious when every item has to be moderated before publication. You don't need a University degree to know how your redemption will be held back when a moderator squats on your item like a hen on eggs. For example, take this site I'll call 'Base'. Base has the slowest moderators on Earth. It takes over 24 hours for your items to be published. (That's the Usain Bolt mod, there are a few items which will take 48 hours to publish). Base keeps your earnings down by delaying publication. The longer it takes for them to publish, the longer for you to reach the threshold. Coupled with that delay is one of those "We pay on the 10th of every month all items which have reached the threshold before the 10th of last month"; means that you can write your fingers off in June, the items are published in July, and you don't reach the threshold until AFTER the 10th, so that you won't be paid in August but Should be paid in September. Let us explore this. You have written 40 items. Each item has taken more than a day to be published. More than a day to start receiving views. Base knows this and has worked it out. It is not an accident. The more work you do, the slower they publish. The slower they publish the longer for you to reach the threshold. The longer for you to reach the threshold, the more items you will write. Base insures that the Mods go on holiday between the 8th and 10th of a month so that many writers will not need to be paid Next Month. I'm belabouring the point, yes, because you need to appreciate the kind of rip off Base is. That Base will, when it goes down, owe you money. There is no way for one Not to be owed when Base collapses. Unless You read the terms of service, you note the slow moderation. You note the fact it is August 8th and you have $9.45 and you know that no matter what you do you will not be allowed to reach $10 until the 10th passes. So sit on your hands. Write nothing more. You can share, you can read and comment on other people's work, but write nothing more. Your bank should be at $10 by the end of the month, having made a few cents here and there on views, comments, whatever. If necessary, write an item or two to get you to $10. Now sit down and watch and wait to see if you get that $10. Write nothing more. If you do get that $10 fine. Start writing again, if you can stomach having to wait so many hours for your items to be published. If you can't be bothered, at least you didn't lose any money. Be very conscious of tricks. Trick One... Slow moderation to cut down your earnings Trick Two... Set Dates when a threshold must be reached to be paid Trick Three... Set Payment for the NEXT month; (not this one) This would, as has been proven, give the site a huge bank of items it can use to earn advertising revenue, and hold back the 'pay day' for a writer, so when it goes down, the Owners have a nice chunk of change.
@cxndie (1062)
• Kolkata, India
I know this "Base" you speak of. I have stopped writing on there.
@tallawah (9315)
• Kingston, Jamaica
It is almost a comedy program. I will write and mind bet myself as to when the item will be moderated. It's kind of a gallows humour, I admit. I'll sit back and see what happens. I imagine Base will pay me by Next month... until then... I won't be writing there...
@cxndie (1062)
• Kolkata, India
@tallawah I dont even know how to delete my blogs. I don't want it to be on the site.do you have any idea how to delete posts on Base?
@tallawah (9315)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@cxndie well you can edit them to nothing
Sounds like it will definitely go down. A shame that well-calculated ways of making it difficult to earn are characteristic of this site.
@tallawah (9315)
• Kingston, Jamaica
I find it so funny because I predicted it
@skysnap (18039)
True. There is one similar trick in freelance world too. The buyer of the article wants "sample article" to be written before getting accepted lol.
@tallawah (9315)
• Kingston, Jamaica
a free sample... yah...
@rina110383 (24070)
Great observation! One of the reasons why I don't join writing sites. I have other online sites but not writing sites. I prefer doing legal writing jobs on Upwork and doing projects on translation sites than wasting my time on those writing sites.
@tallawah (9315)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Once it gets ridiculous it is more a comedy program than a writing site. I mean do they think we are that stupid?
that's true friend
@tallawah (9315)
• Kingston, Jamaica
They can fool some people some of the time