A Lesson From The Little Boy Pulled Out Of Rubble

Well, after watching the news last night, I just feel very stupid. They showed a 5-year-old boy who was pulled from the rubble in Syria. Now, all week I’ve been complaining off and on because I don’t have a new watch yet. I stopped to think about the importance of that and other things after seeing that story. In many instances, I think the things that I complain about I shouldn’t. We need to remember what’s really important. Our freedom, no war over here, and not having to worry about many things that they do in other places on this earth. I will try not to complain about silly things like not having a watch for a few days.
@sugartoes (41236)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I seen that too it was really sad to see that, it broke my heart that baby lives in the condition he does & the way things are. So yeah when we THINK life is tough just think about what other people are living with in their lives & how tough it is
@silvermist (20073)
Yes many times we complain about not having something or other.I am always reminded of this quote by Helen Keller- “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”
• Greece
Unfortunately those who have power to change things do not have the hearts be softened by this little boy's plight.
@silvermist (20073)
@41CombedaleRoad You are right.Many do not care.
@sunrisefan (18532)
You remind me of a boy who wanted so much the shoes on the show window of a shoe store and kept asking his mother to buy the shoes even if his shoes were still in good condition. One day, while the boy again passed by the shoe store and longingly admired the shoes he wanted, he saw a beggar (a boy too) who had no feet. That brought him to his senses. He realized that he was much better than the beggar who had no feet while for him, it was only new shoes that were missing.
I agree with you. I try to never ever take my freedom or well being for granted. But I hope that you can get out on the weekend and get a new watch.
Very well said and, same here I really shouldn't complain. I am alive and, well with a roof over my head.
@HazySue (21937)
@Susan2015 it sometimes takes an incident like that to straighten us out. It is hard to remember that there are those who are worried about surviving day to day while we are worried about material things. It does put things into perspective.
It's easy to forget how fortunate we are and how we let little things bother us sometimes
@Platespinner (16782)
It is truly sobering to stop and think about how petty our "first world problems" are in comparison to what so many others on this planet have to deal with.
That is why I want my son and even my husband to learn about people who are in worse circumstances than we are, so they can see their complaints are very minor compared to what others are living through.
@cacay1 (33002)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Let us just be thankful the boy is saved,so terrible.How did the boy reach the place.
plus you can go buy one, it's different when what we are complaining about has an easy fix.
@Yes, that is so true!!
Yes, we always should be aware of the suffering of others and the fact that we are spared. We certainly do need to stop complaining over trivialities of everyday life.
we've a spoilt society. one's who's demands they feel ought to be met instantly. 'tis a learnt habit. there's always, always someone worse off than ourselves. i'm glad that this opened yer eyes to the sufferin' 'f others. i shudder to think what those folks're goin' through
A shocked Syrian boy pictured sitting in an ambulance covered in blood and dust after an air strike has become a symbol of civilian suffering in Aleppo, drawing worldwide attention. The announcement Thursday followed pleas from the United Nations and the E
Good and bad stuff goes on all the time, but that doesn't mean we aren't allowed to 'complain'/talk about something that may be trivial to others.
@AbbyGreenhill You missed my point. Some things compared to others, aren't as important.
@Susan2015 No, I got your point.
@ms1864 (6977)
• Bangalore, India
just a few days?
@ms1864 a few days without a watch.
@alberello75 (18008)
• Genova, Italy
Think you, that people who "run away" from Syria, coming soon in Italy. In fact their target, would go to France, but it seems that on the border, not everyone can pass. Keep in mind that I, however, am inherently not very knowledgeable about this.
@ElicBxn (60884)
I can relate. I do try to not complain about things because I do know how good we have it.
Horrible injustices of life. The innocent victims--innocent women and children, suffer the most from the atrocious acts of their fellow inhabitants involved in violence and terrorism. We, in the countries our forefathers fought for our freedoms, happiness and abundance mustn't let anyone take that away from us.
@suziecat7 (3399)
• Asheville, North Carolina
What you say is so true. Our own concerns are sometimes so petty compared to others.