Does money make you happy?

@Drosophila (16952)
Ireland
Does money make me happy? I want to say no. But really, there are times when the answer is "yes". When does money make me happy? - When I got paid for a job well done. - When I can spend it on the things I want. Outside these two remits, I can't say it does anything more for me. So I always hope I will get paid for the work I do and I'll always be able to afford the things I want. How about you? Does money make you happy?
I don't believe that money can buy you happiness but it can make your life a lot easier. As long as I have enough money to get by then I am happy with that. I don't need a whole lot of money and the best of everything. Happiness comes from within. I try not to stress to much about money. I can stretch a dollar along way if I have to. What truly makes me happy is my family and the love for each other. Money can't buy that!
@louievill (12422)
Money is a blessing, it's a material blessing
@cacay1 (22710)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Drosophila (16952)
@Happy2BeMe I don't think money can "buy" happiness, but it fulfils the following functions that lead to happiness: i) as a reward/recognition of good work. ii) as a tool to help you & people your love to solve materialistic problems. If money can solve a problem, then it's not a real problem. - someone wise once said. iii) it represents security and freedom for quite a few people out there. I think oftentimes we leap to apply money's purchasing power to happiness.. but in reality, it's not that makes us happy.
@WorDazza (7193)
• Manchester, England
As the old saying goes, money doesn't make you happy but I'd love the chance to find out. I'm honestly not bothered about money! Maybe 25 years ago it was all about the money. I always thought having more money would make me happier. I've learned the hard way that the more money you earn the more money you spend and not always wisely. Now I'm planning an early retirement based on a minimal lifestyle requiring a minimal amount of money. As another saying goes, happiness isn't about getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got. Time makes me happy these days, not money!
@cacay1 (22710)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Drosophila (16952)
@WorDazza The keyword here is "got" xD If you got nada nil naught..might be an issue there.
@skysnap (17383)
These days only money and food makes me happy :D
@cacay1 (22710)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Drosophila (16952)
@skysnap I am so with you 110% on food there!
Yes!!!! A life without financial stress and affording the best possible health care? You bet.
@cacay1 (22710)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@JohnRoberts, I bet, you're right.
@Drosophila (16952)
@JohnRoberts no stress in general is good! so ya, definitely don't want to stress about money.. I do well to stress about other things.
@sol_cee (9572)
• Japan
No money, no honey.
@cacay1 (22710)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@cacay1 (22710)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@cacay1 (22710)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
that is true.
@dodo19 (21178)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I will admit that having enough to pay the bills and feed my family does make me happy. It is a good feeling knowing this.
@Drosophila (16952)
I know what you mean. It's good to sleep without worrying about consolidation of debts
@dodo19 (21178)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Drosophila it really is. Not being able to make ends meet can add a lot of stress.
@Drosophila (16952)
@dodo19 absolutely. truth be told, I prefer to worry about something else
• Calgary, Alberta
Yes it makes me happy because it saves me from financial problems. Money can also help my soul because if I have too much money I can do charity work.
@Drosophila (16952)
HAHAHHAA I like the charity one! You is right
• Calgary, Alberta
@Drosophila Also if I have money, I can look as ugly as Donald Trump but I will still be able to have a hot wife.
@Drosophila (16952)
@CaptAlbertWhisker hahaha.. hey its not the money... she's after his erm diplomacy!!!
Only when I can do what is necessary - like pay bills on time and yes, get the things I want and need. Otherwise no, money does not make me happy.
@Drosophila (16952)
oh ya definitely able to sleep without thinking about money troubles is a plus!
@Drosophila Yes it is.
@marsha32 (5875)
It doesn't buy true happiness, but I'm sure not very happy when I don't have any! I never have much that is my own money as I don't earn much myself. I feel happier when I do have a few dollars in my wallet.
@Drosophila (16952)
Indeed, I think joy is different from happiness, one is long term, one is short. :)
@EddieHands (26690)
Yes it does! Money buys me toys, cherry pie, and candy. I love money !
@Drosophila (16952)
you forget pizza!
@CRK109 (10495)
I have a love/hate relationship with money. I wish I didn't need it at all.
@Drosophila (16952)
Absolutely, I did go through a tough patch and totally know what you mean
@CRK109 (10495)
@Drosophila the line that best comes to mind is "money is the root of all evil". And I do believe that.
@Drosophila (16952)
@CRK109 I guess it's the love of money aye! I need to really re-read the parable of the rich fool a few times, as I have a propensity to get too $$$ focused
@LoriAMoore (10407)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Nope, it's just a means to an end.
@Drosophila (16952)
Indeed, I do prefer not to have to lay awake at night and worrying about it
@marie42 (988)
• Shreveport, Louisiana
I will be happy if I could just pay my bills every month.
@Drosophila (16952)
Amen to that
Money in and of itself...no, because it's something we create and place value on. Money as a means to and end...it's a needful thing in order to get things we need to live on...and some of those things are detrimental to our physical and emotional well being...that is, simply a reality...even if one were to take a minimalist approach to how one lived, it's still a reality.
@Drosophila (16952)
Absolutely! I must admit one of my happiest days was when I paid off all of my students debts. :D
@LeaPea2417 (8507)
• Toccoa, Georgia
It makes me happy when I have enough to pay the bills.
@Drosophila (16952)
That's definitely a major one
Money makes me happy in the way it allows me to live a comfortable life and not worry about pennies.
@Drosophila (16952)
I concur! so true!
Yes. I love getting paid for my hard work. I love to buy clothes for people that need them and see the smile on there face. I love buying the new fencing so the animals are happy. I love feeling safe in a good car. But do I worship money? No. God gives me what he wants me to have and that makes me happy.
@Drosophila (16952)
That is indeed very very true.. Money is important but not that important. I used to worry about it a lot more, now I've found God, I'm more chilled. :)
Yes, because i can buy my necessities with it and we can be comfortable with the things i can buy with it . Though , it's not that happiness we feel when we are with the family and with praying .
@Drosophila (16952)
absolutely! I think the joy one receives from spiritual and relationship activities are not the same as one get from able to pay the bills and so on. the 2 doesn't necessarily need to conflict as long as they are given the appropriate priorities. I feel often times, we are told to take a 0/1 stance against money, and that is somewhat extreme and not necessarily good.
@Drosophila Yes, they give us different kinds of happiness.
@efanxing (51)
• Hebei, China
It reminds me of the Debate we often have in our middle school:LOVE OR MONEY.? In the debate, they often quote the sayings such as :Money talks, Money is not everything. Money is the root of all evil, and so on. so I think these sayings in some way tell us the answer.
@Drosophila (16952)
to be honest, I always find these debates odd, why must I choose between Love or Money? In reality, I've found the two complement each other in the right order. e.g. I love my work, I enjoy it, I do a good job so when I get money for it, I am happy. The reverse is also true, i.e. I hate my work, I don't want to do it, I do the bare minimum.. when I look at my paycheck, I wonder if the money I receive is worth it? so, you see how money in this relationship Love & Money actually goes hand in hand. Is Money the root of all evil, no. But greed is the root of all evil, greed encompasses more than just money. I guess ultimately money is a tool.. it is important but not to be worshipped
• Hebei, China
@Drosophila couldnt agree more.
@trivia79 (7975)
• El Segundo, California
money does makes me happy on a moderate level.
@Drosophila (16952)
Glad to hear it, yes, not having to worry about debts is good
@trivia79 (7975)
• El Segundo, California
@Drosophila yep. because too much can lead to bad things.