At last, I have finally flown propeller

@Asylum (48282)
Manchester, England
I enjoy flying and have no doubt flown a fair number of miles over the past 40 years or so. Despite the amount of flights that I have taken, I had never flown in a propeller aircraft. This is something that I have always wanted to try, but even short hops from island to island have always turned out to be jet engined craft. It came as quite a surprise to me to discover that my flight to and from Ronaldsway airport in the Isle of Man was propeller driven. You can certainly tell that you are not flying in a jet because the aircraft is pushed around by even minor turbulence. What a fabulous way to start my weekend away. Of course we landed here in the rain, which so far has not stopped.
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Propeller aircraft are usually slower and fly lower than their larger fanjet or turbine cousins... means you get to see more, if the cloud cover permits, of course. Enjoy your Manx holiday.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
Yes they are slower and fly lower, but I saw nothing. We climbed into a cloud over Manchester and remained in it until we arrived.
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Asylum Maybe the weather will be more clement on the return journey.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@pgntwo I hope so, but so far it is not looking likely.
That must have been an interesting trip. As regards the rain - can you take comfort from the fact that it's raining here too?
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
The rain is not going to spoil my weekend. I paid for a weekend break and intend to have one.
@Asylum That's the way to look at it. It's not too bad here at the moment, just the odd shower. I hope it's the same for you, or better.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@jaboUK The weather has not changed one iota so far, but it probably will once return home.
Fabulous to get to fly a propeller aircraft. while its raining can you shoo a lot of that rain over hereto California and some to the raging fire at blue "C ut in middle part of state 'San Bernadino county
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
That is the irony of it, we here in Britain are sick of it while many countries would welcome it.
My sister was driving home past the fire, she lives in Yucaipa. She said it was a horrible sight. All black and orange spanning a huge area. She was talking to me at the time. Those California fires are pretty bad. My native state.
So wonderful that you had the experience of a propeller driven plane. One experience to cross off your list.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
They have been replaced greatly as time progressed so I had resigned myself to the expectation that I would never have the opportunity. The woman sat next to me told me that she has flown that route often and wishes they would replace the aircraft with jets, whereas to me it was wonderful.
@nomus24g (21480)
Congrats
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I had began to believe that it would not happen now because the aircraft are becoming scarcer.
A propeller driven plane is interesting to try, once in your life. It's raining here too, it's pouring and I do not know when it's going to stop.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I do not care about Switzerland, just as long as it stops raining here.
@Asylum I do not complain, it's fresh today, send the rain here, it's fine for me.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck I would love to send the rain to you, but it seems content to remain here at the moment.
@sishy7 (27667)
I know you said it's fabulous, but I'll still ask... is it scary?
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
Well not to me, but I presume that some people would think so. I have known a couple of minor issues during flights but seemed to horrify most passengers, whereas I found them interesting.
@sishy7 (27667)
@Asylum Yup, it's scary...
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@sishy7 As long as the pilot is happy then so am I.
@simone10 (21670)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I am a little scared of flying and all that turbulence would really freak me out. I hope you enjoy your visit!
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I have always enjoyed flying, but find it does become boring after 4 hours airborne.
@simone10 (21670)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Asylum It bet it does get boring. What do you do during those times? Read or take a nap?
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@simone10 Just patiently wait for the aircraft to reach its destination.
@Platespinner (16532)
I flew in a propeller craft from Tyler, Texas to Dallas, Texas many many years ago...and my husband took me up in a Cessna 152 (which was the airplane version of driving around in in a beat up VW Beetle). Both were memorable experiences!
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
A Cessna would be a real adventure and well worth flying in. Those are all most a part of aviation history now.
@Asylum If was definitely a memorable experience!
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@Platespinner It must have been because you have not forgotten it.
You can cross that off your bucket list now! My uncle had a small plane. "Clear the prop" he would sing out just before he started the engine. While in the air he once gave me a flying lesson and I flew the plane myself. I don't think it counts for much unless you land or take off. Hope the rain clears up and if you spot the king, take a picture!!
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
Many farmers in Australia and the USA had private planes for crop spraying. Being a much smaller aircraft would have pleased me even more.
@Asylum That could be your next adventure! Hire a small craft. I looked it up and over here I can hire a one hour discovery flight for $50 using a groupon. Or a two hour flight to Crystal River for ice cream for $100. Of course I have to drive an hour in the opposite direction to get to the little airport. I wonder if that price includes the cost of the ice cream?
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries I would certainly enjoy something like that, but even if the equivalent is available near my home my eyesight would probably disallow me.
@Yadah04 (3025)
I always dreamt of flying, and i always wanted to be a pilot. That never happened though. And so i enjoy listening, or reading, to the adventures of people who actually flew. Very interesting.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I have lost count of the number of times that I have flown.
@Yadah04 (3025)
@Asylum good for you, you have flown so much. That must be worth the experience. And now i am practically drooling. Lol.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@Yadah04 The most interesting flight was over Siberia because the snow and cedar forests stretched for hundreds of miles.
• Portland, Connecticut
Oh my, that is a shame. I have taken a few prop planes and it is indeed a bit of an experience. I hope the weather clears up.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I thought that the flight was superb. I was like a child on the fairground.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Asylum Yes there is definitely the sensation of being on a ride lol
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@BelleStarr Sadly it is also more expensive than a fairground ride.
What a wonderful experience for you. I hope the rain stops so you can totally enjoy your trip.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
It looks as though the rain is here to stay, but I refuse to let it spoil my weekend.
@Asylum I hope the sun came out before your weekend was over.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@just4him The rain stopped for as couple of hours on Sunday then the brain returned.
Interesting. I have always wanted to see the Isle of Man. Was it hilly and such? I would think that short distances would be flown in a propeller driven plane.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
It is extremely hilly, which gave rise to the island's symbol, the triskelion. This was a spiked log rolled down the hill in defence. I am only a short walk from the centre of Douglas, but the street is seriously steep.
@Asylum .....Oh, sounds like good exercise.
@trivia79 (7918)
• El Segundo, California
you actually drive the plane yourself?
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
That certainly would have been an experience, but strictly illegal.
@trivia79 (7918)
• El Segundo, California
@Asylum ow i see! but if the authority doesn't know, it's not illegal LOL haha
@garymarsh6 (13201)
I must admit I am not a fan of turboprop planes and much prefer the jet engine! I agree with you that the different times I have flown in a turboprop plane they have bounced all over the place! Glad you landed safely and now you have finally flown on one!
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
It was an experience, which was why I was so delighted about it.
@Inlemay (16490)
• South Africa
was it a push and pull aircraft?
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
Not quite, but they did have someone tightening the elastic to turn the propellers so that we could take off.
@Ceerios (4756)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@Asylum - Koalemos - Prop aircraft are what I grew up with and are the only one I ever piloted myself. As to the plane you flew on that was buffeted around so much as not due to the propeller powering. It was mostly caused by the lesser turbulence at the really high altitudes flown in jet engine aircraft. Props don't works as well in the thin air up so high, but jets like it. -Gus-
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
A very fair point because I know that commercial airliners usually fly at around 7 miles high. We were certainly nowhere near that height.
• Bangalore, India
Hmm, nice experience indeed!
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
It was the first time for me, so it was quite exciting.
Another thing to cross off your bucket list. Hope it stops raining soon.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
It is still raining this morning, but that will not stop me from going out.