This Guy Should Be Stark Raving Mad by Now!

I do not know how that guy driving the ice cream truck in our Chicago suburb maintains his sanity! I know he has to drive around in all the surrounding suburbs in DuPage county too. Having to listen to Scott Joplin's "The Entertainer" over and over and over again has to mess with the that poor driver's mind! Hours and hours of "The Entertainer" eating its way into that poor fellow's brain must drive him stark raving mad. I am hoping the driver of the ice cream truck wears ear plugs to avoid having the longest-running earworm in history. If the poor fellow is eventually diagnosed with stuck song syndrome and requires psychiatric intervention, I will take up a collection to help cover some of the cost. Pixabay Public Domain Image
PIANO LESSONS: http://www.bachscholar.com/learn/ JOPLIN SHEETS: http://www.bachscholar.com/joplin/ BEST SELLERS: http://www.bachscholar.com/best-sellers/ TEC...
I should think that he probably just blocks it out, or doesn't even hear it any more. I've heard that happens when people live under the flight path of aeroplnes, or near the train tracks.
I should think this would be the case too.
@norcal (3211)
• Nevada City, California
I used to live right next to the freeway. After a while, I didn't even notice it anymore.
I suppose he would have to get used to if not, poor fellow would lose his mind. Maybe eating tons of ice cream helps.
Most of the vans here seem to play 'Greensleeves' which would be nearly as bad.
@asfarasiknow A cousin and I played Greensleeves as a duet once at an eisteddfod and our teacher said it was originally written as a dance and so shouldn't be played too slowly. Unfortunately the adjudicator was a singing teacher and said we played it too fast! :)
On yes, Greensleeves would get on one's last nerve too!
{gigglin'} i'm sure he's learnt to jest tune out that tune 'r no doubt there'd be the need fer such treatment. most kind 'f ya to start off the offerin' to pay fer such :)
Well, the poor fellow is trying to make a buck. Probably some college kid. I would be glad to help if the driver needed some help to regain his mental health.
@Corbin5 i'd sure need 't, lol.
@sallypup (30134)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Its too bad there aren't a couple more songs for the guy. He probably isn't allowed to wear ear plugs, either.
I think a variety of songs would help the poor fellow out.
@antonbunot (10052)
• Calgary, Alberta
I hope he won't suffer from poor hearing soon!
Well, I bet his hearing will be impaired a bit if he does not find another job.
Funny that you write about this topic today, I was thinking about the same thing last week when I kept hearing the ice cream truck guy.
An ice cream truck is a wonderful thing, but the guy really could use a variety of tunes to play.
lol yeah he has to be about koo koo. I am feeling a little one flew over the cuckoos nest myself today.
Yes, he may end up being cared for by Nurse Ratched.
@Butchcass4 (6016)
We have an ice cream truck that goes through our neighborhood and I never thought much about it. But after reading your discussion now I'm thinking yeah they must get stressed after listening to that music over and over. God bless the ice cream man/woman!
I bet the driver is glad when cold weather rolls around! No more listening to the same old thing again and again.
@Corbin5 You know it! I wonder if he has a job during the winter months?
@Butchcass4 I bet college students do the ice-cream truck job during the summer months. I bet they are glad when classes start up again!
The guy actually went postal and was found driving around the neighborhood shouting, ' I scream for ice cream! I scream for ice cream!'.
He must have! I bet they have to hire a lot of replacement drivers every time a driver goes "postal!"
@Corbin5 I bet they are running out of 'replacement drivers'!
• Preston, England
I love ragtime music and The Entertainer never fails to please me
Yes, I enjoy it too. I suppose listening to it to hours on end would make one a bit tired of it.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 we had an ice cream van that played the theme to The Good The Bad And The Ugly - I have heard one use the music to The Godfather too - both violent movies not for kids
@arthurchappell Those tunes definitely do not fit ice cream vans. Strange indeed.
@Hanyouyomi (1948)
• Dallas, Texas
FINALLY! AFTER ALL THESE YEARS! I FINALLY KNOW THAT STINKING JINGLE'S NAME! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! XD
@Hanyouyomi Well, on one post here, as a retired teacher for Pete's sake, I answered a grammar question here incorrectly! I am going to stop mentioning that I taught for 30 years so that I can make as many mistakes as I would like.
@Micmac (9765)
I wondered why our ice cream truck driver listened to the tune 'Jingle Bells' all the time he drove by in summer. Probably It reminded him of cold snowy winter time when he would be free from hearing that same old tune day in and day out. Poor guy had to keep his sanity in check somehow.
I know. I was in a different suburb and "Jingle Bells" was coming from that suburb's ice cream truck. Well, I suppose the song means cold, just like ice cream.
@Micmac (9765)
@Corbin5 Yes it was odd, but your guess would explain the correlation.
Like many annoying things that guy is probably used to it - or he's deaf. We don't get the ice cream man out here in the boonies, I'd love to hear a truck once in a while.
That ice cream man sure does make kids happy, most adults too!
@Corbin5 I haven't heard or seen an ice cream truck since we left New Jersey sixteen years ago.
@silvermist (20094)
@Corbin5 I agree with the opinion,after a time he sort of blocks it out.We can do that you know.
Hope he does have really good blocking-out skills!!
@silvermist (20094)
@Corbin5 I hope so.
@UncleJoe (11432)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I was glad when local ice cream trucks switched to "The Entertainer". I don't think I could have stood another summer of "Turkey in the Straw".
Well, at least "Turkey in the Straw" would allow those who hear it to practice their square-dancing skills. Turkeys, for some strange reason, just despise that song.
@UncleJoe (11432)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Corbin5 That's because turkeys think the words to the song are so derogatory.
@KristenH (25345)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Oh dear. Was it Good Humor? I haven't seen a truck here all summer.
I not sure if it was Good Humor, but whatever it was, it comes every summer. I remember Good Humor trucks in the 1950s growing up.
@KristenH (25345)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Corbin5 Aww. I miss those days in NJ. I've only seen the ice cream truck once since I moved two years ago in my neighborhood.
Or maybe he will just pull over and shoot his truck and eat all his profits. In other words, a complete breakdown. lol
Oh yes. That would do it. Ice cream has to be soothing for anyone who has gone nuts!
When I was a child the music from the ice cream truck would excite me.
Me too! Parents did not have much money, so the ice cream from the truck was a rare treat.
• Mumbai, India
you really play very well please to hear that.
Glad you liked the song.
@OreoBrownie (3653)
• Commerce, Georgia
That's old times music.