Have You Ever Seen the Aurora Borealis?

Photo courtesy of wikipedia.org/commons
Laguna Woods, California
Although I have traveled in the state of Alaska, all the states along the U.S. border with Canada, the country of Canada (multiple times) and Great Britain, I have never had the opportunity to see the Aurora Borealis ... sometimes called the northern lights. I have been told that it occurs much more frequently in the winter months and most of my "northern exposure" has been in the summer and early fall. However, I have been in parts of the northern U.S. during the winter and still missed the Aurora Borealis. Although I have seen videos of it, I have never seen it in person and it is one of the amazing world experiences I would love to enjoy. What about you? Have you seen the Aurora Borealis? What did you think of it? Or, is there something you have never seen, but would like to?
I have never seen the Aurora Borealis either. Never realized it until now.
• Laguna Woods, California
@jstory07 - Since you live in Oregon, I would think it would be possible for you to have that opportunity someday ... although you might have to travel even a little further north. I understand it is spectacular!
I haven't seen the Aurora Borealis but I have seen the Aurora Australis when we lived in Ravensthorpe near the south coast. The southern lights were rarely seen that far north of the Antarctic but I guess we were just lucky that evening.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - How wonderful! I forgot about the Aurora Australis, but I'm sure it is spectacular!
@DeborahDiane I can imagine how miraculous the auroras must have seemed to ancient peoples. They still look miraculous to me although I've read how they come about.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - I imagine ancient people thought they meant the world was coming to an end ... or some great omen!
Yes, I see it all the time! Mainly in the winter as you said. I don't know if that is because we are rarely outside when it is dark in the summer or if it happens more in the winter. I hope you get to see it sometime.
• Laguna Woods, California
@paigea - How wonderful that you have gotten to see it!! When we toured Alaska, our guide told us that one of the best parts of the Alaskan winter was getting to see the Aurora Borealis ... so that is why I assumed it happens more in winter. Perhaps, however, it was just that the nights are so long in Alaska during the winter that there are more opportunities to see the northern lights.
@DeborahDiane And the daylight is so long in summer, there is hardly a chance to see it.
• Laguna Woods, California
@paigea - You are right. A person would have to stay up really late to see the Aurora in the summer.
That would really be something to see.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Susan2015 - I agree that it would be fabulous to see the Aurora Borealis. Maybe I will have the chance one of these days!
@LoriAMoore (12597)
Nope, three times to Alaska and haven't seen them but I think I'm going to Iceland in 2017 and hope to see them then.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LoriAMoore - Wow! A trip to Iceland sounds like a lot of fun. You'll have to write about the trip when you get back!
@rina110383 (21987)
Haven't seen one. Looks beautiful in the photo. I wish we have them here in my country.
• Laguna Woods, California
@rina110383 - I'm not sure what country you live in. I know that it is rare to see the Aurora in the U.S. except in Alaska and, sometimes, states like Maine.
@skysnap (17590)
Never seen it, but wish to see it for sure.
• Laguna Woods, California
@skysnap - I guess it is pretty rare for people to have seen the Aurora Borealis. One of these days, I hope I get to see it.
We saw a bit of them from home here one summer actually. I remember that there was something in the atmosphere that was causing them to appear from so far away, it was the only time that we've ever experienced them. They are a sight to behold.
• Laguna Woods, California
I have heard many times that the Aurora is magnificent. I'm glad you have gotten to see them!
I have never seen it in person either.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Tampa_girl7 - One of these days, maybe we will both have the chance to see them!
@Dena91 (3476)
I haven't seen them either but would love to. Have a blessed evening.
• Laguna Woods, California
You have a blessed evening, too! Perhaps, someday, we will both have a chance to see the Northern Lights!
@122037 (287)
• Vancouver, British Columbia
I always want to see the northern light, but I do not have time. Many of my friends saw it. They told me it is amazing and like a dream
• Laguna Woods, California
@122037 - Since you live in British Columbia and appear to be young, I bet you will have a chance to see the northern lights someday.
@122037 (287)
• Vancouver, British Columbia
@DeborahDiane For sure, A three days trips is enough.
• Laguna Woods, California
@122037 - Go for it! Write an article about the Aurora Borealis here someday.
@PainsOnSlate (18564)
As a child my bed room had a bank of windows. I learned to sleep without curtains... Many times I would wake up in the night because of the Northern Lights,The light and movement of the light would wake me up. I was always happy to see them and would watch them until I fell back asleep. In Alaska last week, they talked about them but I never got to see them, I looked but no luck. I live in Canada now and haven't seen them since I was a child in New York.
• Laguna Woods, California
@PainsOnSlate - What a wonderful memory! We sleep with our blinds open so we can see the sunrise ... but I never get to see anything as spectacular as the Northern Lights!
@DeborahDiane While in College in Vermont I remember standing out in the snow on a dark night watching them too. Now thinking about it I'm wondering if winter is the season for them? I'll have to look it up.
• Laguna Woods, California
@PainsOnSlate - What a beautiful memory ... the Aurora above the snow. How spectacular!
@wiLLmaH (8158)
• Singapore, Singapore
Whoah! That is on our bucketlist :)
• Laguna Woods, California
Seeing the Aurora Borealis is on my bucket list, too.
@wiLLmaH (8158)
• Singapore, Singapore
@DeborahDiane I hope before we hit 45 years old we already saw it :)
• Laguna Woods, California
@wiLLmaH - I hope you get to see the Aurora by then, too.
@moffittjc (31746)
• Gainesville, Florida
When I was 12, my aunt and uncle moved to Barrow, Alaska for a year for a construction project my uncle was in charge of. During the time they were there, my brother and I went out to visit them for about 3 months. Although it was during the summer, we were so far north that we could easily see the northern lights all the time. I was completely fascinated by them, and would sit for hours watching the beautiful glowing patterns!
• Laguna Woods, California
@moffittjc - Wow! You just answered one of my questions. It is possible to see the northern lights in the summer if you wait until it gets dark. That is good to know!
@moffittjc (31746)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DeborahDiane You have to keep in mind, though, that we were WAY above the Arctic Circle, so I'm not sure if the northern lights are visible in other places in the summer. There's not too many cities/towns that are located above the Arctic Circle!
• Laguna Woods, California
@moffittjc - I've been to Alaska, but never any further north than Fairbanks. I understand you can see the Northern Lights much further south than that at some times of the year, but we didn't see them. Maybe next time!
@Shiva49 (8786)
I don't think I would be able to as it is not visible from where I live. I can check for a video however - siva
• Laguna Woods, California
@Shiva49 - They are not visible where I live and I don't expect to go that far north again in my life ... but you never know. It could happen!
@Shiva49 (8786)
@DeborahDiane I just saw a you tube clip - what a show! siva
• Laguna Woods, California
@Shiva49 - I have seen YouTube clips of the Aurora, too. ;Amazing!!
No, I haven't either. Going to a cold place in winter is just not on my to do list. I have lots of things I still would like to see although, like you, I have seem many things in my past travels.
• Laguna Woods, California
@ElizabethWallace - I rarely enjoy going to cold places in the winter ... although it has happened a few times. However, even when I have been in cold places in winter, I have never seen the Aurora!
@DeborahDiane It doesn't seem fair. You paid the freezing your nose bill, you should have been able to see the Northern Lights.
• Laguna Woods, California
@ElizabethWallace - Ha Ha! You are right! It's not fair that I have been to Canada and the northern states in the winter and still didn't get to see the Aurora!
@akalinus (12442)
I lived in NY state and never saw it until one night. The news ran a banner across the bottom and said that if we went outside, we could see the Borealis. I rushed out into the cold winter night. It looked much like the photo above, all green. I know it comes in other colors, also. That was the only time I ever saw it.
• Laguna Woods, California
@akalinus - I'm so glad that the news stations told people that the Borealis was going on at that moment. How exciting!
@akalinus (12442)
@DeborahDiane I would have missed it if not for that.
• Bangalore, India
very nice pic. wish we had such wonderful thing to see in our country
• Laguna Woods, California
@sosapanla - I'm sure you have other beautiful things to see in India!
• Bangalore, India
@DeborahDiane definitely. India itself is beautiful!
that 'twas one'f the 'perks' when i was hangin' my hat'n alaska fer a few years - to sit out'n the roof 'n watch that magic 's 't danced 'cross the sky. i've e'en a pic i took enlarged 'n framed. dunno how i managed to keep that one, whilst the others lost fere'er.
• Laguna Woods, California
@crazyhorseladycx - I'm glad you kept that photo because it sounds like it brings back some pleasant memories!
@DeborahDiane yes ma'am. 'f bitter cold nights (that's when they were best, lol) 'n climbin' out 'nto the quiet 'f night. most peaceful 'n what a light show!
@responsiveme (12552)
The name is magical...I've heard of it in many stories., first of which I read long ago...The snow Queen....fairy tale. ...but not seen it as my country is too far south.
• Laguna Woods, California
My part of the U.S. is too far south, too.