Well, "Gully Gee!"

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
We live close enough to the coast here that, when we throw bread out for the small birds and squirrels, a few seagulls also often pay us a visit. It seems to depend on the time of day, and it almost always happens in the late afternoon. Two or three of them will perch on one of the building roofs here and just scream away. Besides the wild turkeys we see here all the time, the seagulls are the next largest birds. It's impossible to miss their big white and gray bodies when they swoop down to grab some bread, as they cast wide shadows across the grass. They really are gluttons, too, as they swallow everything whole, and they literally fill their throats to bursting with food. We've got quite the competition going on here among the turkeys, hawks, crows, squirrels and seagulls. It's safe to say that whatever we toss out on the grass doesn't sit there long. And whatever those critters happen to miss, well, the night prowlers like skunks, raccoons and foxes make quick work of it! (Public Domain Image)
Seagulls are scavengers, and are, therefore, protected birds. Once at a school where I taught, a kid threw a rock at a seagull that was bothering him. The police arrived the next day to investigate. I have no idea how they knew about the incident. Perhaps the birds carry cell phones?
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Hahaha...I suspect someone saw the kid do it and tipped the cops off. It's illegal to harm them here, too.
@Raelove Must be so. They were all shocked, since they consider gulls pests. But if nothing ate the garbage we would be up to our armpits in the stuff.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@ElizabethWallace That's the natural cycle that so many humans resist. SOMETHING has to take care of the gazillion tons of garbage we dispose of each year, so we should be thanking the gulls, not criticizing them.
i personally miss the vast array 'f critters that'd tend to such. made havin' a compost pile a bit 'f a challenge though, lol.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, I remember when skunks and raccoons would visit my compost pile. But they had to eat, too!
@Raelove lol, yes ma'am, they did :) i ne'er minded such myself, the skunks also helped keep the insect population down 'round 't.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@crazyhorseladycx That's right...
@CRK109 (14465)
A similar thing happened to me at my old house. And it confused me because the house is quite far from the beach. But I'd tossed out bread for the birds. I got the regular little birds, and then pigeons came (which is VERY strange) and then seagulls! It had never happened before! I wonder what the new owners of the house will do now! lol
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
LOL! I still wonder how the birds are faring in my old place where I used to feed them all the time. From what I hear, the new tenants--a very young couple--have no interest in such things. I wonder how often the birds landed on that high deck expecting something to eat and getting nothing for their efforts! I miss that place, but life goes on...
@CRK109 (14465)
@Raelove Yes it does and the birds will find someone to feed them. Although I felt like I was the only one in my neighborhood interested in feeding birds and squirrels. Here at our apartment building, we have a lovely woman who plants beautiful flowers all the time. I should ask her if we would be allowed to have a bird feeder or two. That would be so nice!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@CRK109 Yes it would. You'll have to look into that.
@Hate2Iron (7859)
I keep looking out the window for critters, but nothing so far! The bears... those I don't want to see lol!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I wouldn't mind seeing one. Here in Maine, we have black bears. They're generally not confrontational as long as they're left alone.
@Hate2Iron (7859)
@Raelove well, thats good to know... I have never seen a bear and the thought of it, freaks me out more than a little.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@Hate2Iron They're more afraid of us than we are of them, seriously. All they're ever looking for is something to eat...garbage, berries, birdseed, etc. I'd love to see one!
While we were away and well inland from the sea we found seagulls on a lake which surprised us. They seemed well out of their normal environment.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
When I lived about 15 miles inland near a pond awhile back, I'd see gulls in the middle of winter flying low over the ice looking for fish, I presumed. Wherever someone had ice-fished, there was a hole, and that's where they, and the bald eagles, would congregate.
@Raelove These didn't come begging for food which was a bit unusual. It would be interesting to know if they stay there year round or if they were just holidaying. Maybe, like us, they'd come to see the wildflowers!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv You'll never know, 'cause they ain't talkin'!
Gulls are pretty much pigs that will wrestle away food. They will approach close if they spy you eating something.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
At the nearby resort known as Old Orchard Beach, they've put up signs telling people not to feed them. That's French Fry Central down there, and the gulls have been known to pull fries right out of people's fingers or mouths.
@Raelove I can believe it. Gulls are a pest and nuisance.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@JohnRoberts They can be. There is no scene along the coast of Maine, however, that is complete without at least one seagull in it.
noisy creatures the sea gulls every morning when the Vietnamese grocery store opens ;they throw out a lot of stale fish and here come the sea gulls lots of them squawking and fighting over the fish. we are just three miles from the Pacific Ocean lol EW
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That's about how far I am from the Atlantic here, give or take. There's a small market/restaurant down the street where the seagulls hang out. And of course, we're also just a stone's throw away from what's known here as Hamburger Alley, where all our fast food joints are. So they always have lots to eat.
You have a wildlife menagerie!!! The skunks in the night would give me pause, however.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, they do me, too. But I am rarely out at night, though I do get a strong whiff of one from time to time.
@sabtraversa (13326)
I can only hear them here, but it's fun to see them on the beach, fighting with pigeons and sparrows. I must say pigeons are quite strong as well, although they're smaller in size. Well, pigeons usually wander in groups, and unity is strenght, too.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That is true.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Wild turkeys (like chickens) amuse me, because they seem so serious about what they're doing, which is basically pecking the ground most of the time. Seagulls can be NASTY to each other when food is involved!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I had fun the other day watching how the squirrels managed to outwit the gulls. Those squirrels will stop at nothing to get at the food, and this one kept dodging the gulls and crows, and it succeeded more often than not. Squirrels are much more agile than large birds, much to their gastronomic benefit. You're right about turkeys...big proud birds whose main focus in life is to strut and peck at the ground.
• Mumbai, India
I also have many squirrels in my chicoo plant love to watch them at evening time they eat up everything kept in the garden.Such a cute creature....
@JustBhem (36815)
• Davao, Philippines
I remember watching Finding Nemo. They always say, mine mine. And its making me laugh.