Why did woman wear gloves?

@ricki_911 (15811)
Toronto, Ontario
I was watching this video someone posted on Facebook about 100 years of fashion starting in 1915. I noticed many of those years until 1975 era they didn't wear gloves.
@RubyHawk (18917)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't know how wearing gloves came about, same as wearing hats I suppose. It was the style.
@ricki_911 (15811)
• Toronto, Ontario
I suppose so! I thought was it a fashion thing or was there a reason.
@RubyHawk (18917)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@ricki_911 I know of no reason. I believe it was just the fashion.
@ricki_911 (15811)
• Toronto, Ontario
@RubyHawk Good to know. I thought that may be why.
@sabtraversa (8465)
In the Victorian Era women had to cover as much as skin as they could, so if they didn't wear long sleeves they had to wear long gloves. So I guess this fashion rule kept on existing for the next years. Then gloves protect the skin from the sun rays, so the hands wouldn't age as easily. So I believe it's just that.
@Yadah04 (2788)
I never thought of it that way -- that they were gloves to cover their skin. But you do have a point. Very interesting.
@CinnamonGrl (5448)
• Paradise, California
I remember wearing gloves when we went to church when i was a kid. Of course, I thought of it as "fancy" and resisted the gloves. Plus mittens and gloves were always thinks I lost, lol. But they do look kind of classy. I'm just not sure they have much utility unless your hands are cold.
@ricki_911 (15811)
• Toronto, Ontario
I was just wondering the reason why. I know they use to do that for church too. But then looking at this video they did it often for woman. I was wondering if it was just fashion or like a thing woman had to wear as being disrespectful.
@MKAlubs (364)
With the resurgence in the mid 1970s I was wondering if it had anything to do with Michael Jackson but I guess not.
@Yadah04 (2788)
That became a fad only in places where it is cold, or are experiencing winter. I live in the tropics, and i never did see that fashion came about here in our place.
I don't know why, but I remember my mom wearing gloves when she dressed up. I thought it was elegant, but of course had completely gone away by the time I was a teen.
I remember that it was a must for women and girls to wear gloves when dressing up in the 1950s. Just a fashion trend of the times, I suppose.