A Lot of Fruit Will Waste

@noni1959 (3103)
We have a large orchard full of different types of apples, plum, grapes, pear and wild hazelnuts. I've been picking as they ripen and sharing at work, eating here, making what I can to freeze and eating some more. There is no way to get them all off the trees to keep the bear, elk and deer from breaking branches or the fruit wasting. We live very far from town and people we know to ask if they want to pick. My daughter is worried someone will get hurt and sue as well. We did have someone try at my old house once when they came to pick plums. It came out as they were faking it so they never got anything. Next year I'll be ready with dehydrators and have more time since I'll be retired. I hope my arthritis stays stable and I can can and do more.
@CinnamonGrl (5806)
• Paradise, California
awww, I hope you're able to do that, too. Arthritis is a pain in the patoot when you want to do so much.I can understand your daughter's concerns about someone being hurt on your property, it is disappointing to have to think like that.
@noni1959 (3103)
It is disappointing as I want to share. The orchard has ruts and such from tractors and the grass is tall as we can't get the large tractor in without the branches hurting it. I take the quad in and carefully walk. Arthritis is a pain for sure. I was born with it so adapt but sometimes over do it and pay for it. I have a feeling today will be one of those days.
what a shame to let such go to waste, but hopefully the critters won't be causin' too much damage. if'n y'all can pick the fruits, ya might see 'bout donatin' 'em 't one 'f yer local shelters/senior citizen centers. those dehydrators rock fer such. 'course i ne'er could keep 'nough 'f the dried, the young'uns 'd eat 'em faster'n i could make 'em. not complainin', 'twas glad they preferred such o'er sugary snacks.
@noni1959 (3103)
I took two boxes to work again today and this weekend I'll pick more. I'll see if the shelter will take them. Some stopped accepting outside food because of regulations. I hate the idea of waste but if the critters have a good feast, it will be OK for the ones left. I just need to get them off the trees.
@noni1959 whilst i 'nderstand why there's a need fer regulations (to prevent folks from bein' poisoned by chemicals/'r foods that've spoiled) i think they go too far :( i'd come help ya if'n i could, hon.
It is so sad to think you can't offer the fruit free because someone might take advantage of you. Someone here sells dehydrated apples and they are really yummy. Nothing added to them which is all good too.
@noni1959 (3103)
It is sad. There is a coworker hinting to come but she has sued four people and right now in the middle of another and I'm definitely not bringing her out here. Saturday I think I'll buy a dehydrator and make a bunch of dried apples and pear.
@noni1959 Some people have no shame, do they? I'd put a restraining order on your co-worker.
@Teep11 (7013)
Freezing the fruit and giving the fruit away is a good idea. Leaving the fruit behind could leave a lot of rotten fruit to clean up after. It's so nice to have access to fruit trees. Enjoy a grew Monday.
Yes, the dehydrators are a wonderful idea! It is a shame for all that good fruit to go to waste.
@egdcltd (6605)
Have you tried preserving any of them as jams? Admittedly, I think that's time consuming.