Ta da! my first beef stew all by myself without any help at all!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Here I wanted to share with all of you my lotters the first ever meal I cooked it is beef stew from the crockpot. I didn't know that one puts the meat on the bottom according to my sister. So I let it stay on today (Sunday) from 5:30am to 1:30 pm and it turned out decent loking. Then I mixed it and my sister says you don't mix crockpot meals during cooking, is that true? I put it in the freezer and ate an Arby's sandwich as it would get bad first. I made the beef stew so I would not waste the meat I defrosted. I decided I am going to eat all the foods in my two freezers and refrigerator. Just get basics like milk, juice and yogurt. It is a fun game to save money! I froze it so I will have lots of food in the house for the upcoming winter that should be brutual. Did you make your first beef stew in a crockpot? Was it good or looked good?
I don't think it matters if you mix it. I wonder what your sister's reason is. Maybe I should try it. I like the slowcooker for stew.
@paigea I will trust you since my sister admitted she never made beef stew and I know for a fact she eats cereal for dinner! So thank yo for making me feel better!
@Marty1 I am sure your stew will be great! I need to eat everything in the freezer too.
@paigea yes I have a freezer that is overflowing. Everytime I open it something falls out of it!
@Hate2Iron (8029)
I don't think that we have even unpacked our crockpot yet?? I do need to find a few new recipes though... or talk our vegetarian daughter into trying beef stew. She just might like it!!
@hate2iron yes, get that crockpot unpacked. There are thousand recipes out there just waiting for somebody to use them!. Next try is lasagna! Yes your daughter just might like it. Give you a hint I am partially vegetarian and read to take my mind off the animal that I am eating and I don't really like meaT but need something to fill me up! If I think of the animal I get nausea.
@Hate2Iron (8029)
@Marty1 That is her to a tee...
Yes, save that money my friend by using what you already have!! I have never made beef stew since I do not like to cook, but you did a fine job with yours! I used to just mostly cook meat, potato, and vegetable for Josh and Brad. I just stuck all in the oven and that was it. Josh grew to tower over us and is very strong, so it worked for him. Congrats on your new dish! Hugs!!!
@corbin5 I had such a good time cutting up the potato, celery and carrots! I bet you are the best cook in the world! I just have to hope it tastes okay as I forgot to taste it! It is frozen by now! Thanks for the compliment! Love you! I won't ned to shop for months I bought so much Saturday almost 300 dollars worth of food!
@Mike197602 (13937)
@Marty1 forgot to taste itthat's against the law for a chef
@Mike197602 lol! I really didn't because I wasn't in the mood for beef stew today!
I have never made beef stew but congrats to you on accomplishing this!
@shaggin didn't you once tell me you and your daughter are vegetarians? I am eventually going back to vegetarianism. I am eating meat while I amlearning to cook. I am getting reserach done going to the library almost everyday. I will get back on a plant based diet!
@Marty1 Yea my daughter and I are vegetarians! Excellent memory you have! My son ears meat but he wouldn't eat beef stew so I have never made it yet. I love cooking in a crockpot but I do not do it very often.
@shaggin If your son wouldn't eat beef stew is he a picky eater? There are so many things my 11 years old nephew won't eat. He would never eat beef stew either! I never cooked in a crockpot before my beef stew! I haven't cooked very much but am learning!
No, I made my first beef stew in a Dutch Oven a long, long time ago. It was delicious. You are not supposed to open the crockpot lid once the food is there. Congratulations for thinking ahead.
@marlina I can't make anything in the Dutch Oven my mom had me buy her for her last, unbeknownst to her, last Christmas. She couldn't lift it either, But then after that it was food delivered every day. Or, m friend Bob would come over and bring us food from places where they didn't deliver! I thank you for telling me about not opening up the crock pot once the food is in it, I was not aware of that. How does one know when to shut off the crockpot then?
@Marty1 The reason not to open the crockpot is to keep the temperature even. After so many hours, it is ready (according to the recipe)
@marlina Thank you for answering my questions. I never thought about keeping the temperature even. And I admit I didn't use a recipe. I just did what I thought I remembered my mom did when she made beef stew in a crock pot. I will use directions always in the future. I am going to try and cook casseroles and things on the stovetop. I can handle stove top, but will follow the oven directions to the letter!
It looks really good. You did a great job. I have never used a crock pot. I do my beef stews either on the stove top or in the oven.
@l_b I am not that experienced in cooking oven and stove things. I am just learning!
@Marty1 well you are doing quite well.
@Happy2BeMe thank you!
@Mike197602 (13937)
With anything cooked in a slow cooker it doesn't matter if you mix it. Just maybe coat the meat in a flour/pepper/salt mix as that makes the sauce a little thicker. Then just chuck it all in and leave it to do its business. Looks nice A nice addition to that would be dumplings...beef stew and dumplings is one of my favourites.
@mike197602 thanks for the thickening advice as the gravry was a bit runny. But it looked edible!
@Mike197602 (13937)
@Marty1 looks nice from here
@Mike197602 thanks!
@nomus24g (25191)
I am not into much of red meat...just chicken only
@nomus24g this is the first meat I ever made and first meal! Actually, I plan on geting up to chicken one day! Don't want to take it too fast!
@nomus24g (25191)
@Marty1 Good luck!!
@nomus24g thank you!
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Your beef stew looks really good! You did great on your first meal.
@simone10 Thank you! I haven't tried it yet but am looking forward when I can eat a meal! But I may not eat it as I am keeping a vegetarian diet these last two days!
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Marty1 I wish I could just eat vegetables but I like having meat too much.
@Drosophila (16697)
It's potatos, celery and? I love stew so always after new recipe
@drosphilia I put a handful of baby carrots and the sauce was a bistro au jus . I buy it in a jar in the supermarket. I didn't have a recipe just tried to do what I remembered my mom did! Besides that and of course the beef that was all I added!
@MKAlubs (452)
Congratulations on your first beef stew. It looks great. My first beef stew was so long ago I don't remember. Beef stew is one of my favorite things to cook, especially in winter. I've never used a crockpot, though.
@mkalubs thanks! I used a crockpot because I am just learning to cook. I will use the crockpot quite a lot. I have a lasagna recipe for the crockpot!
@CinnamonGrl (6074)
• Paradise, California
I don't use the crockpot very often, but the last thing I tried was pot roast, and the recipe for it said veggies on the bottom. It came out pretty good, but for some reason I prefer the roast cooked in foil slowly in the regular oven.I put the Lipton's onion soup dry mix on the bottom and top and that is really tasty and tender.. Anyway, that's what came out really good and tender for ME, lol. Might just be the meat was better, you never know for sure what quality you are gonna get. The stew looks really good!
Crockpot cooking is one of the greatest and simplest inventions to making great home made stews, casseroles, puddings, and small turkeys, roasts, and veggies ! Good to hear you enjoyed as well, oh and mixing is strictly by preference of cook !
@Micmac (9622)
Your beef stew looks yummy. I cook beef stew often simmering on the oven. I like mine hot and spicy with chili spice, tomatoes and potatoes. I never used a crockpot. I am thinking of trying one.