Garden Cleaning Time

@Raelove (15177)
Saco, Maine
I find it ironic that the best summer weather arrives here in Maine just about the time when the gardens are starting to fade or go to weeds. That's when I have the most energy and want to get out there and work among the green things, but it's the reverse of the spring process: instead of planting new things, I'm trimming old dead ones back or pruning them down to the ground. Most of these plants were already growing here before I moved in, so it's been a learning experience for me. Someone stuck a small metal trellis in the ground to hold up the rose bush, and it's tilted over to a bad angle so that the bush rests up against the building. The shepherd's hook that I hang my birdfeeder on is also tilted, so I plan on righting them both once all the plants have died and I can move all my pots out of the way. I've bought a tarp to cover everything with, as I don't want to bring pots with dirt still in them inside for the winter. That's just an invitation to whatever bugs are living in the soil to come out and invade my living space, and that's the last thing I want. So once the area is cleared, I will stack the pots and cover them with the tarp for the winter. Also, some of the pots I bought were very cheap, so the plastic is cracking now from exposure to sun and high temperatures. I didn't pay much for them, so it won't be a huge waste to throw them away. As sad as it is in a way to be slowly emptying the garden, I'm already setting my sights on what I'll do next year. This first year involved seeing what worked out there, so next year, I'll be able to expand where I put my pots of flowers. It's only August, and I'm already looking forward to it! (Public Domain Image)
@Teep11 (6445)
There's a lot of gardening going on. Having the work around the bugs and heat must be something. Gardens are great to have. I'm sure the tussling in the garden generates the results you're after. Take care.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
I love doing it. It's very satisfying work.
@Hate2Iron (7325)
Planning your next garden sounds like fun. At the moment, I have no idea what or when I will have to close up the garden. I don't know Manitoba very well at all after a week! ;)
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
It's a learning process, but a fun one!
@KristenH (19920)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Go for it Rachel. My sunflower already bit the dust this summer. I blame it on the weather.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
I hate seeing things go, but I hate the messiness of it all more.
@KristenH (19920)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Raelove Me too. I gave up on getting another plant and maybe try in the fall, when it's not so hot. Any ideas for fall flowers?
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@KristenH You can get a chrysanthemum in a pot. But for flowers that bloom in the fall, you have to plant them in the spring.
@divalounger (2277)
I also say go for it! But I love pruning--it is my favorite garden activity--
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
So do I. It makes things look so neat and trimmed.
@Raelove That is one of the reasons that love autumn so much--the air is crisp and I can get out there with my clippers--enjoy!!
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@divalounger Oh, I will, thanks!
• Lakewood, Colorado
Sounds a lovely garden Rachel..you are lucky to have a place to do this my friend. I cant wait to see what you have next year.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks, dear. It's not a big place, but it's more than I ever dreamed of, and just the right size not to be too demanding.
You will get it done even if it takes a couple of days. We are going to have a garden next year.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
It's a work in progress. As things die back, I'll remove pots and keep trimming. Then I'll straighten that trellis and shepherd's hook, and cover my pots up for the winter.
@peavey (15865)
Spoken like a true gardener! Next year is always on my mind, too. It's not quite time to start cleaning things up here, but it's getting close. I cleared a protected space to plant a few more radishes and some lettuce before cold weather but I'm still waiting on the rest. I did a lot of gardening in pots this year, more than usual, and I haven't decided for sure, but will probably do the same next year.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
That's what I do here mostly, though I did scatter some marigold seeds on the property's mulch, and they grew! I plan on doing more of that next year and putting up a small folding fence so the lawn service doesn't pull everything up!
@peavey (15865)
@Raelove That's a good idea. I had marigold seed that I didn't get planted this year. You have trouble with the lawn service, too? I had sunflowers growing and I put a rock border around them, just in case, and sure enough... they string trimmed them down. Amazingly, some weeds nearby didn't get touched.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@peavey I always worry when I'm not around when they "weed." They're pretty good about it if I'm here to mention it, though.
sometimes 't takes a few seasons to learn what grows best where when yer new to the territory. i hope those plastic pots're recyclable 'n find their way to a center 'nstead 'f the landfill. i'm with ya, 's the weather's turned cooler here 's well. i wish to be plantin' 'n playin', but 'tis too late to get some plants started. 'f course, others 've still time to get established 'fore the frost hits 'n the bitter winds 'f winter blow. so glad to here that'cher makin' plans fer next spring/summer!
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
I recycle everything, so no worries there.
@Raelove that's good news coz ya wrote "won't be a huge waste to throw them away". :)
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@crazyhorseladycx No it won't, as I paid only $1 each for them.
@Plethos (4847)
ive always wanted to grow pumpkins, just so i can carve them for halloween.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
Well, do it. They're one of the easiest things to grow if you have space to let the vines ramble.
@Plethos (4847)
@Raelove - good luck ! hope it all works out and that your thumb gets greener !
@sallypup (20874)
• Moses Lake, Washington
My hubby remarked this morning that it felt like Autumn. The weeds are healthier than me but we've expanded our reach a bit. Now that its cooling a tad I will and should be able to get out with the gas Weeder and redo some paths on the property. You are a good example for me. Thanks.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
My friend moved to Port Angeles, WA, and says she finds the weather chilly at times. I'd love it!
@sallypup (20874)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Raelovejoy I imagine Port Angeles would be similar to some of the port areas of Maine. A planet away from me even though I am in the same state.
It's nice to tidy up between seasons and get organised for the next one.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
I'm still at it when the weather allows. It's too damp today, so I'll wait until things dry up.
I can feel your excitement for it all.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
Now that I know what I have to work with, it'll be more fun.
@Platespinner (18095)
I need to clean out my beds and plant my fall garden. If frost holds off I should be able to get a least a good round of lettuce before gardening is done for the year.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
That is so great. I miss gardening in the ground. I may try a few more veggies in pots next year, if I can keep the squirrels and chipmunks out of them, that is.