Ketchup: The Forgotten Condiment

@Raelove (17576)
Saco, Maine
Let's face it. There are some foods that are just made better by the condiments we use on them. Egg salad just cries out for mayonnaise, while a hot dog generally calls for the addition of mustard and relish to complete the experience. People dip their shrimp in cocktail or tartar sauce, a roast beef sandwich isn't the same without horseradish sauce, and French fries seem naked without a dollop of ketchup to dip them into. I like most condiments, but use some more than others, my top choice being mayonnaise, while some people prefer its alternative, which is a tangier dressing that goes by the trade name of Miracle Whip. I don't eat shrimp that often, or roast beef, so I don't even keep the condiments that go with those on hand. I do, however, keep one in the fridge that I hardly ever use, and that's ketchup. It's not that I don't like it, it's that I never think to use it. If I go out to a burger joint, I will use some there on my fries. But while a lot of people love it on their baked beans, I've never been partial to that. I do like ketchup on eggs, and occasionally on a hot dog or hamburger. But for some reason, it's the "forgotten condiment" for me, as I never think to use it. I remember making some one summer when I had tons of tomatoes from my own garden and others given to me. It was very different from the commercial type, as most things are, and quite time-consuming to make and can. Now, a small bottle of ketchup lasts me several months or more. And by that time, I try to find some way to use it up rather than throw it out. For some reason, ketchup just does not stand out to me as something I need to put on certain foods. I doubt I'm suffering nutritionally from that lack, as commercial brands of ketchup contain a lot of sugar and salt, so I may actually be doing myself a favor by not eating it that often. In the end, I doubt, too, that I'll starve to death if I never eat it again, as there certainly is more than enough other food around to make sure that never happens! (Public Domain Image)
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
We use ketchup quite a bit on hot dogs, hamburgers, and fries. My brother uses it more than I do because I can eat my fries without it. But I do have to have it on a hot dog or hamburger.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
I actually like it on hotdogs and burgers, but I never think to put any on! LOL
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Raelove We usually take out all the condiments needed and have them on the counter so it is easy to see and use.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
@simone10 I live alone, and I take the things out that I need. I just never remember the ketchup!
We use quite a bit of ketchup in our house. My grand daughter does not like ketchup though. She prefer ranch dressing on everything.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
I'm with her. I am a ranch dressing fiend. I like just about every type of food dipped in it.
@Raelove That is the way she is. It is funny she doesn't even want to eat around us if we are eating ketchup. It is too funny.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
@Happy2BeMe That is funny...
@Hate2Iron (8022)
You are right... it's something that sits in our refrigerator for months. A small bottle lasts a long time in our house.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
Same here, but I do live alone, too. So maybe if I didn't, it would get used up faster. I don't know...
@Hate2Iron (8022)
@Raelove there are 3 of us here and no one likes the stuff very much. Oh, just thought. I do love to dip grilled cheese sandwiches in it though ;)
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
@Hate2Iron I never tried that. Cheese does go well with anything tomatoey...thanks!
@MKAlubs (452)
I only use ketchup for two things; french fries and raw onions. I like to take a large square piece of raw onion and dip it in ketchup. Yum. I never put ketchup on hot dogs or hamburgers, only french fries. Actually I don't put ketchup ON the fries but rather I dip the fries in ketchup as I eat them. As for mustard, I never use that yellow stuff that Americans call mustard. I am a Grey Poupon snob. A bottle of ketchup will last months for me but a jar of Grey Poupon goes very quickly.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
I'm a French fry dipper, too. I don't like them smothered with anything. I like a splash of vinegar with them, too.
@MKAlubs (452)
@Raelove - The joy of french fries and ketchup is in the dipping. You have one hot and crispy item (the fry) and one cold and wet item (the ketchup). It's the combination that is so wonderful. If you pour the ketchup over all the fries then the fries get soggy and cold and the ketchup gets warm and runny. Yuck. The two must be kept separate until the very second before putting them into one's mouth. That's the way I prefer it anyway.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
@MKAlubs I tried some potato chips that tasted like tomato ketchup awhile back. They were awful. You're right. The hot crispy fry should be dipped just a little into the cool ketchup. Works for me.
I would only eat ketchup on French fries, and that is it. Won't use it on any other food. Poor ketchup.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
LOL, I know...
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
I'll be having a hamberger today with ketchup & mustard @Raelove . I even put ketchup on steak and pork chops.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
I don't like anything on fresh meats. I like to enjoy the flavor of the beef or pork, etc. Like I said, I am not against using ketchup on a hamburger. I just never think to do it!
We are opposite. I have a great dislike of mayo which is "nasty" to me and gross when dripping out of a sandwich. I can only tolerate mayo in tiny doses in potato salad or hold tuna together. I do like ketchup and yes, the sugar content is bad. I like lots of mustard.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
I do like mustard, and I like mayo but use it sparingly. I like experimenting with different types of mustards, and particularly like the grainy types.
• Bournemouth, England
I like it if I use it sparingly. Too much of it and that vinegary taste really overwhelms. I buy one which is a mix of both tomato and brown (fruity) sauce.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
I get that. I don't know if we have such a "brown sauce" ketchup here, but I know that it can be made with lots of different things, including mushrooms!
@1creekgirl (11930)
Have you ever used ketchup in your vegetable soup? I have for years and it's really good.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
I've never tried that. I know people who use it on plain pasta. I tried that and did not like it at all. My mother used to make a hamburg/potato/onion hash that was good with ketchup, though. And I like it on shepherd's pie, too. But I don't eat those things very often, hence I rarely use ketchup.
@Dena91 (4630)
Mike loves ketchup, I am more a mustard girl. Neither of us are fans of a lot of mayo, just some in potato or macaroni salad is about it. My Nana use to keep some horseradish mixed with mayo in her fridge and would put it on sandwich's or when she made a roast beef for a Sunday supper. I tell Mike I need to make some and see if it is something we would like to use, just haven't done it yet. Have a blessed day
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
I amazed myself when I first tried horseradish sauce and found that I liked it. I can't think of too many things other than beef that it would go well with, though.
I personally don't eat a lot of ketchup but my grandchildren pour it on their food
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
That's a kid thing. To me, a little goes a long way.
Ketchup, mostly called tomato sauce in Australia, is very popular with many young people. Some seem to have it on just about everything.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
Same here in the U.S. I guess I'll just have to experiment and try it on different things.
I still use ketchup with fried meat. I do sometimes mixed ketchup with mayonnaise.
@sabtraversa (13331)
I used to LOVE ketchup and despise mayo or mustard. Well, now it's the opposite. It's too sour for me now, I think.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
There aren't many condiments I hate, other than really really hot sauces. There are lots of Asian type sauces that I want to try, too.
I love ketchup. I put it on omelettes, hamburgers and other things. i think it is very tasty.