I Have No Idea Why She Does This

Molly is petrified of thunderstorms. Molly is a double-coated dog. She has an undercoat and a top coat of fur, so putting the well-known Thundershirt on Molly to ease her fear and anxiety would make her overheat big time. Molly heads right into the fenced backyard as soon as thunder rumbles. She places herself underneath her chosen hosta and day lily plant that are underneath the eaves of the house. Molly rides out the storm in that little spot that makes her feel safe. I can check on Molly during a thunderstorm since her furry body is up against a basement window. Periodically, I go to the basement, look out the window, and check on her welfare during those storms. Perhaps Molly is going back to her wild roots. Wolves just may find a well-covered outdoor place to hide if frightened by thunderstorms. Molly may not like the way the inside of the house sounds with rain pounding on the roof and thunder making the house shudder a bit, so outdoors she goes. As long as I can check on Molly often, I will let her ease her fears outdoors. If we tried to keep her indoors, her fear would only be heightened. Photo: Molly's Safe-From-The-Storm Spot
You are very understanding of Molly's fears and her way of coping. You'd think that she would want to be close to you, wouldn't you?
Yes, but apparently, outdoors is less frightening for her.
That's interesting she does that. My dogs just hid until the storm was over.
Yes, our old dog Bo used to squeeze himself into the powder room and stay there until the storm passed.
That's good that she knows where to hide whenever there is a thunderstorm. But what if it rains , i suppose she will go back the house .
No, she stays in the rain, but she is protected by the eaves that hang over the plants so she just gets a bit wet.
@Corbin5 Oh really . She likes it that way .
That is amazing! Doodles hides under my bed.
Yes, she is the only dog out of the five we have had that has done this.
@Corbin5 Poor baby.
My dogs are not affected at all by thunder or fireworks or anything, brave little dogs I guess
When we had the three toy poodles, not one was afraid. I suppose it depends on the dog.
Storms frighten our dog too.
I always say that summer is a cruel season for Molly-too hot, 4th of July, and thunderstorms.
Most dogs are scared of thunder. I am glad that Molly found a place where she feels safe until the storm passes. It is good that you can check out her too without having to go out.
Yes, I can see her cute little body right out the window. She really does seem calm out there despite the thunderstorm. She just curls up and sleeps in that spot outdoors.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Years ago I had a dog that was terrified of thunderstorms too. He used to hide behind the refrigerator which always terrified me because I was concerned for his safety there.
Wow! Yes, behind the refrigerator could be a dangerous place for a dog to hide. Our old dog Bo, a big dog, would hide in the powder room squeezed behind the toilet during thunderstorems and he was a big dog.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Corbin5 That must have been really uncomfortable for him. My dog was tiny so it was easy for him to hide in strange places and impossible for us to get to him when he did.
@Gina145 It broke our hearts to see poor Bo suffer so much on the 4th of July and during thunderstorms. Just not fair. One time I took the garbage can from under the sink and when I turned around Bo was in the cabinet.
@silvermist (20085)
@Corbin5 So,that is the spot.But she is not there in the photo.? It was taken earlier from outside the house ,I suppose.
Yes, that is the spot. Easier to take a photo when there is no rain.
@silvermist (20085)
@Corbin5 Didn't you mean when the thunder is not in full force?
@silvermist I did! Fixed it! Going for more coffee. Gotta focus! Thanks my friend. However, maybe I should be brave and venture out there to snap a photo when it is pouring rain and thundering like crazy. Well, nope, not gonna do that.
That is interesting, Molly preferring the hosta to the indoors. Mildred my cat heads immediately for either under my bed or under my claw foot bathtub! But she is also a strictly indoor cat and dosn't know anything about the outside.
Well, at least poor Mildred has found a few safe spots when those darn thunderstorms show up. Molly says summer is the cruelest season.
@Corbin5 I personally don't like either thunderstorms or blizzards! I'm turning into a chicken myself!!
@LindaCPearson As the years go by, the more chicken I get!!
@PainsOnSlate (20414)
Very interesting, never thought of leaving the dogs our in a storm. Mine when I was a teen went crazy in storms,We lived in the country, I wonder if we left him out he might have felt better...
Well, Molly has 24/7 access to the fenced backyard, so she can go in and out all day and all night if she chooses. When the storm is over, her a-bit-soggy self comes through the dog door to see Mom and Dad. Molly cannot tolerate the heat of summer, and I think the cool rain does not bother her a bit.
Makes sense. When I was a kid we had hundred of acres of land but a road in front of our house so the dog was free when someone was outside with him but he was on a run or in the house during the rain. I'll bet the water felt good for Molly and can see why she likes to be outside. @Corbin5
@PainsOnSlate Yes, even if it is just a gently rain without lightning or thunder, she will go outside and just enjoy the cool raindrops. Winter is Molly's favorite season.
@sallypup (27975)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Poor baby. Airplanes fly low over us sometimes. Horrid loud rumble. Our pups so far are not choosing to go nuts with that racket. I sure don't like it.
The pups can calm Mama down when the airplanes fly low!!!
@sallypup (27975)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 That's a great idea. Some of those gigantic airplanes are so low you can almost see the pilot.
@RubyHawk (28313)
• Atlanta, Georgia
So would I let her go where she feels safe. Many animals are terrified of thunder. You would think that like humans they would get used to it.
I believe dogs do not have the ability to have the idea of "no danger" from previous experience become ingrained in their brains. Poor dogs.
@RubyHawk (28313)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 You must be right. Dogs never seem to get over it.
@shshiju (10572)
• Cochin, India
Oh Molly's nature instinct is smart . May be she finds the bushes are more comfort than home in storm.
I think she does. I am just glad I can check on her by looking out the basement window.
@shshiju (10572)
• Cochin, India
@Corbin5 Yes. that's good. Some of the animals including horse and dogs had basic instinct to predict earth quake and storms.
@miniam (9235)
• Bern, Switzerland
So understanding from you to let her chose the spot she`S most comfortable in when these thunder storms start.
I know if we kept her from that safe spot she chose, she would be even more anxious.
@miniam (9235)
• Bern, Switzerland
@Corbin5 True,let her be at a place she feel safe
@TheSojourner (17306)
I am sorry to hear that Molly is so scared. I'm not sure what I am looking for in the photo. I can't see her...
Oh, that is just her spot by the window. Somehow I have not had the courage to go out there and take a photo in the pouring rain.
@Corbin5 I am glad to know that I didn't miss something! I was thinking it was some sort of optical illusion! LOL
I had once a dog who was afraid of thunder but she would just sit right next to me and would feel better with my hand on her. Being next to me made her felt secure.
That is nice that your dog came to you for comfort during storms. Molly chooses to get out of here as fast as she can.
@Corbin5 It only shows how much she trusted me.
@sprite1950 (14498)
• Corsham, England
Dogs do the strangest things during a storm. One of my dogs used to try and climb on the kitchen worktops when it thundered! I have no idea how he thought that would help!
Wow. On the kitchen worktops is an unusual place for a dog to go during a storm. Our dogs can be a mystery to us, that is for sure.
@sprite1950 (14498)
• Corsham, England
@Corbin5 He could never get up there but he would keep trying
hard telling why thats her spot but she feel safe there so thats good and its not out in the open so she really is safe
Yes, as long as I can check on her out there while she rides out the storm, all is OK.
I am not an animal clinical therapist so I cannot offer a reason for her behavior
I have researched online to find any reason why she does this, but so far, no luck.