How are stay at home moms (SAHM) viewed in the eyes of society?

How does the majority of society view SAHM? As a society run by economic gain and consumerism, I have noticed a trend that more mothers return to work shortly after giving birth. Women who are expecting are always asked WHEN they will be returning to work not IF. So how are those mother's who decide to stay at home viewed? Note: I decided to rephrase question (Are stay at home moms (SAHM) considered lazy in the eyes of society?) to current.
@zarlamain (24866)
Good question. I assume ignorant people would assume stay at home mothers to be lazy for staying at home and not contributing to the household income, but of course that is wrong and those people are ignorant for a reason. Stay at home mothers are working hard to raise the kids and take care of the house. They are working hard nonetheless, but because of this pressure placed by ignorant people on mothers, they take on jobs right after giving birth or a few months later to contribute to the household income even if their bodies are still in pain from giving birth. They mistake themselves as being lazy because of the pressures people put on them. So, the child or children are left at daycares or with babysitters or other family members and these mothers just go off to work. It's very unfortunate.
It is undortunate that mothers feel that presure and miss out on their children's memorable milestones.
@zarlamain (24866)
@JellyBeanMkr I agree. It is very unfortunate.
@cupkitties (7598)
Of course lazy, non contributing. If you're a single parent SAHM then people treat you like a charity case. I guess because people forget we're not in the 1800s and women haven't had to depend on men for their financial needs in ages. Even if you're earning money, because it's not in some stuffy office located 50 miles from home, it's deemed as being "not a real job".
Yeah i agree that if mothers decide to work from home, they are given a rather odd look and a doubtful OK.
@Genipher (5288)
I'm a SAHM and I've never heard any negative comments. I think, if anything, the ability for one parent to stay home is looked at with envy rather than disdain.
@skysnap (18229)
I think society always respected SAHM. Parenting is not an easy job.
@cherriefic (4813)
Yeah I guess. They thought staying at home is an easy job.
@CinnamonGrl (6074)
• Paradise, California
I don't think anybody thinks they're lazy.. A lot of mothers work because they have to.