My Ten Favorite Crazy Album Titles: East Side Story (#9)

@FourWalls (15226)
I'm back from a wonderful day with my dad to tell you about the next album in my countdown of albums that have funny or silly or just plain crazy title. Some of these might only make me laugh, but so be it. #9: East Side Story - Squeeze If this list were in the order of the quality of the album instead of the album title this would easily be the number one album. What a terrific album, start to finish. Squeeze is one of those bands that should have been massive everywhere. More than one critic has called the songwriting duo of Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook "the new Lennon & McCartney" (which, of course, is a kiss of death in a lot of circles). Simply put, Squeeze made some of the absolute greatest pop music in history. For many, 1981's East Side Story was their magnum opus. Featuring some of their classic songs (especially "Tempted," which featured former Ace lead singer and future solo and Mike + the Mechanics singer Paul Carrack on lead vocals), the band worked with a number of producers (Elvis Costello, Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe) for the album, but you'd never know it by the flow of the album. Squeeze has other album titles that could easily make this list, too: Cosi Fan Tutti Fruitti and Argybargy could fit. But I picked East Side Story, with its play on the title of the classic, award-winning play and film, West Side Story ("we were originally gonna call it West of Eden," Tilbrook joked on the Robert Klein Radio Show in 1981), for the list. And yeah, the music on the album had a lot to do with the choice. East Side Story Recorded by Squeeze Released in 1981 Here's one of my favorite songs from the album, showing the brilliant and funny songs that Difford and Tilbrook create:
They were often called UK Squeeze here and had a unique sound. I wasn't big on Black Coffee in Bed but Tempted (by the fruit of another) was a great song. Why is East Side Story a crazy album title? You want a crazy title, try Pulling Mussels from the shell.
@FourWalls (15226)
It's just a humorous play on the play title "West Side Story." To me, anyway.
Ah, Squeeze. What a classic band. And people think of them as some run of the mill alternative band, if they even think of them at all. You're right. Should have been huge.