Most people who work in America are either undereducated or over qualified.

Dallas, Texas
That's right. The majority of Americans who are recently graduated from either high school or 2 or 4 years of a university or a college are either too unskilled or inexperienced or over qualified for certain entry level positions. I used to read the classified section of the Dallas Morning News newspaper and the Dallas Times Herald newspaper and both of them listed job openings that looked like they required you to have 10 years of experience, have a Bachelor's Degree in Business or Law or Medicine but when it comes right down to it, there are too many college graduates with BA or MBA or other type of degree, managing a fast food restaurant, a grocery store chain or work with either a bank or one of the several City government offices, and this makes me kind of sick because, all the time I was in school playing trumpet in the band and drawing pictures in drafting class and playing chess at my leisure, I was never given the skills to go to work after graduation and besides that, even years of college did not land me the right job. It is just plain sick that Americans can get educated but they can't find a job that is best suited to both their aptitude or meet their personal expectations for the good life. It then only becomes a question of survival, existing and making due on the bare bones of living. Yea, the guy who has a sign under a bridge is making more than you as a sales rep at an office supply retail store. Go figure.
@libster (168)
• Richland, Washington
An extension of the problem in high school is that of college. Everybody is pushed to get a degree, but what are you going to do with a masters in English? Your time would be better spent learning a trade!
• Dallas, Texas
That is so very correct. There are those who have degrees who are working for a fast food joint and if only they had learned carpentry, plumbing, electricity or air conditioning mechanics they might have at least a fighting chance at some job that really pays good.
@LeaPea2417 (19855)
• Toccoa, Georgia
It really is quite sad. I think all High Schools in America should teach students how to balance a checkbook. It should be required. Many times my own kids (when they were in High School) would tell me that in particular classes, when a lesson had been concluded or a Substitute Teacher was there, is that all they would do is watch a Movie! This happened many times. Can you believe that? If they that much time on their hands , they should be teaching true skills that will help kids in later life, than let them watch movies.
• Dallas, Texas
That is a very good point.
This is the problem of all industrialized countries. We obliged students to go on with their studies and skipped too many entry base jobs that can be still interesting for those who do not want to study. Now everybody has to accept any kind of job, even if they have spent years in schools.
• Dallas, Texas
Exactly, many who don't bet a proper education accept the possibility of working blue collar all their lives and those who do well in school don't realize their own potential and aim too low for their job or career prospects due to having lowered expectations.
@cherigucchi (4431)
That seems to be interesting to know.
• Dallas, Texas
There are far more educated people who are unable to find work in America and it seems even unskilled laborers make money enough to survive but then they sometimes live 3 or more households to a residence and live in crowded home surroundings just to make ends meet.
@UmiNoor (3485)
I think the problem is no career guidance. Most young adults don't know what career is best suited for them. They probably just follow their friends or choose something that's easy. I know of people who studied a course in the University that has got nothing to do with what they're doing in their job. So what's the point of wasting time at the University?
• Dallas, Texas
Well, it's like life, Things happen while we're making other plans.