First Night of Bowling and My Embarrassment

@marsha32 (6693)
Last night was our first night of league bowling after not bowling in a league for 5 or 6 years. That was when the bowling alley was bought out by a church. About this time last year a new bowling alley finally was built and opened. As you can see from my picture, it's a lot more than just a bowling alley. It was like old times as half of the people we are bowling with bowled with us on Tuesday nights before. The first game I bowled a 149. I thought that was really good. After all, I've oly bowled 2 times in the last 5 years. Here comes my embarrassment. I crashed and burned on the first frame of the second game. Picture this: I walked up and noticed that one of my shoes was sticking. Dumb me just kept on going. Sure enough my shoe stuck and I went down.....right over the foul line. I fell to my hands.....yep, right across the foul line and onto the oily lane. You guessed it....there I went then sliding down the lane because of the oil. I was so embarrassed. While everyone was asking if I was ok, I was brushing the hair out of my eyes, reeling from a feeling of shock that was going through my entire body, wiping my oily hands on my jeans, and telling everyone that yes, I was ok. I wasn't ok, I really hurt my shoulder. Thankfully my left shoulder or I would not have been able to finish bowling if it was the right one. Oh, they all noticed me rubbing my left shoulder a lot the rest of the evening and asked about it. I did tell them I hurt it when I fell. On the way home I kept thinking how I needed to go to the ER, but I'm stubborn and getting home to finish up some clicking was more important to me. Today my whole arm doesn't hurt, just the shoulder. Again I chose not to go to the doctor. I don't think that anything is broken, I just think it's out of place. I hope so anyway. I probably should have gone for an x-ray just in case. Despite the fall and foul in the first frame, I still somehow bowled a 171 in that second game. In fact, I bowled a 171 in the 3rd game too. My average in league before was 157. I ended up with a 163 average last night. Oh I do hope I can keep that up!
@CinnamonGrl (5807)
• Paradise, California
Oh mannn. .I'm so sorry you hurt yourself, I hope nothing is broken! I was walking down the street from the bus to work once when my shoe caught, and did a faceplant. Well my hands caught me before the fact hit, but you know. . .So embarrassing in front of a whole lot of traffic. There was no oil involved, however. I used to love bowling back in the day. Can't do it now because of my back, but back then I had my own blue bowling ball with "Sue" on it haha. Sounds like you're pretty good!
@marsha32 (6693)
My bowling ball is yellow and has Jeannie on it. I bought it for only 50 cents at an auction because I love yellow.
I am stubborn like you. You may be thoroughly bruised. if it is out of place you need to pop it back in.
@marsha32 (6693)
It has a constant pop when I move it. It popped pretty big earlier. Still hurts, just not as bad...but still a lot if I try to raise my arm.
I think you should have gone to the ER. I hope your shoulder is feeling better. I would have been totally embarrassed too. I'm glad you ended up with a great score. I won't tell you what my average is. I'm too embarrassed.
@marsha32 (6693)
No need to be embarrassed over whatever your average is....several on the league barely have over 100 as an average. It should be so much more for the fun than the score. Unfortunately there are the real competitive teams no matter what who fight for the places that earn money.
@marsha32 My average is 70. I will get to 100 on a good night. It's been years since I bowled.
@marsha32 (6693)
@just4him One older lady was bowling with her walker. She has one of those ball holders strapped to her walker and she walks her ball up, takes it off and throws it. It did my heart good to see that she hasn't given up on her love of bowling.
I hope you can keep that up. I hope you heal properly too. I can imagine the shock of that fall.
@marsha32 (6693)
It's all better now. I was leery this week the first game going up to bowl, but eventually got over it.
@marsha32 It's good to get out and have some fun.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I am so sorry that you fell and hurt yourself. I hope you are feeling better today. I'm glad that you weren't seriously hurt but you probably should have gone to the ER just to make sure.
@marsha32 (6693)
Yeah, today I moved my arm and my shoulder popped. It seems to have eased a lot of the pain, but it still hurts.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@marsha32 It sounds like you might have pulled it out of it's socket.
How embarrassing. I play a bowling game on my grandson's DS. He upgraded to a Xbox 360 and so I inherited the DS. I do pretty well on there. Not sure I could still bowl the normal way. I think you did fine and I bet you do even better next time.
@marsha32 (6693)
I can't get the hang of the video bowling...even my 3 yr old grandson beats me at that LOL
@marsha32 ......On mine I have graphic options and I choose the one that has it all cut down to squares. I just put the ball where the squares are that line up with the middle of the pins and go for it. That seems to work well for me.
'tis a shame that nobody got'cha an ice pack, hon. i hope that'cher iced 't today? perhaps a pack 'f epsom salts'd help? mightn't be broken, but still most painful. please take care with 't, k? 's fer the bowlin'? dang, i'm tryin' to recall the last time i bowled...perhaps 20 years 'go? i'm sure that once yer shoulder heals (ya might not bowl with 't, but i'm thinkin' such still effects yer game), yer average 'tis gonna be e'en better :) sendin' healin' hugs!
@marsha32 (6693)
thankfully it was my left shoulder so didn't affect my bowling. My gave me cold packs that I put on it when I got home. That did seem to help.
@marsha32 i hope such's no longer givin ya any pain, hon.
Wow, well I hope your shoulder is OK..congrats on the game.
@marsha32 (6693)
It is, thank you. I didn't bowl near as well this week so should put my average back down where it should be.
I think you need to get your shoulder checked out. Isn't it odd how we always get embarrassed when we fall over, and insist that we are ok, even when we're not? Congrats on the good scores.
@marsha32 (6693)
I almost stopped at the medical center today to go into the same day care for an x-ray.
I hope that you will be okay with the shoulder.
• Rochester, New York
I wasn't big on bowling while growing up. I took bowling lessons and bowled on Saturday with other kids my own age, 8 or so, as a child, but grew disgruntled with it when my bowling was the worst on the "team" and those on the "team" let me know it.
@marsha32 (6693)
Well that was mean of them! My mom bowled when I was a kid and signed my brother and I up for youth leagues. Those leagues included instructions. I remember how to get the pick up on the left side of the lane, but I'll be darned if I remember at all how to do pick ups on the right side of the lane. When I get those it's mostly luck.