Worst Library Manners Ever!

So the kids and I went to a library the next county over. We have plenty of libraries where we live, but this one has the best and biggest used bookstore. After buying some books, we had time to go over to the children's section of the library. The kids found their favorite categories and sat at a table to read. Other kids were around reading silently too. I plopped myself down on a couch - and observed. I could not believe the manners of the kids - at least at one particular table! 5 kids were talking loudly, and screaming at times - running around to the other parts of the library. They were throwing things off the tables (there were crayons, papers, legos, and puzzles set up for the kids) and leaving stuff everywhere on the floor. This went on and on and on. And what were the parents doing? They too were conversing together out loud at a distant set of couches. Once and a while they would look over, but none told their kids to be keep it down, stop running - or anything! One was chatting away on her phone. Even the children's librarian seemed to be too busy on her computer and didn't say much even though the kids were only a couple feet from her. What planet were we on? Even my kids were shaking their heads. We left whispering by the children's librarian that this was such a noisy, noisy library! Next time we visit our libraries, we will be sure to thank our local librarians for doing what they do. They are sometimes criticized for being too strict on rules - ah - but there is good reason for that. And thank goodness for parents who teach their kids proper manners! How can parents just stand there and allow their kids to do whatever they want, especially in a public place like a library???
I am not all surprised by this.I see this often there and other places.The kids rule
But isn't it sad that it's gotten to the point where we are not surprised by this behavior anymore? I have to wonder how these kids are going to be when they grow up!!
@much2say just like their folks.
@moffittjc (43007)
• Gainesville, Florida
There is no question who rules most households nowadays. The kids these days control everything. The parents just do whatever their kids tell them to do. It seems nobody wants to parent anymore.
I was a teacher for 40 years. (I'm retired now) It often happened that we had undisciplined pupils who really got on the teachers' nerves. But when we had had the opportuniy of meeting their parents, we teachers thought that compared to them the children weren't really so bad and it was definitely not their fault that they couldn't behave.
Oh my! As they say, the apple does not fall far from the tree . I just have to wonder how in the world can these children be saved . . . or maybe they will just have to learn things the hard way down the road.
@much2say That's where teachers can come in. Teaching the young ones stuff from the curriculum isn't everything. Sadly, some teachers are too lazy to train the young ones, too. Over the years I became stricter which didn't diminish my popularity. I told my pupils that during my lessons I wanted to have a cerain atmosphere in my classroom and that they had to follow certain rules of behaviou which were not open to discussion. Interestingly, they accepted this. One has to tell them what's what! I always argued with teachers who complained about pupils in the staff room but who did nothing to discipline them.
@MALUSE Re your post: Why didn't the librarian interfere? They could even have told the parents and the children to leave.
@moffittjc (43007)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've noticed that libraries are starting to evolve, where they are now becoming community gathering points instead of just stuffy old libraries. Many now offer exercise classes, seminars, workshops, and recreation classes, so I imagine a lot of libraries nowadays are starting to become more like recreation centers than actual libraries. Our local library district has added soundproof "quiet rooms" in each of their branches, so if people need a quiet place to read or study, they go into the quiet rooms. I'll have to say, the rest of the library outside of the quiet room is quite noisy! But in your case, I do agree that it was rude behavior on the part of both the kids and the parents that they weren't more respectful of the needs of the rest of the library patrons.
Yes, libraries definitely have more programs these days to draw people in. I appreciate these programs - we go to them too - but even so I teach the kids it is still a library . . . there is never a reason to run and talk out loud freely in a library. I have seen college libraries with quiet rooms, but not in the public libraries yet. I just couldn't believe my eyes that this scenario was actually happening before me. I was saying in another comment that I felt like I was on Candid Camera or something - it was really that bad.
@moffittjc (43007)
• Gainesville, Florida
@much2say Wow, it does sound like it was bad! You should have said something to both the kids and the parents! If nothing else, it might have embarrassed them enough to force them to leave, or else get them to comply and actually quiet down!
@moffittjc I probably should have. I did whisper that this was a noisy, noisy library as I passed by the librarian - but that of course was not enough to shake up the room. I would have thought the librarian would do something so all the other patrons wouldn't have to feel like I did - but it seemed like no one else around me was bothered by this scenario!!
The children's library was probably tired of it. Sad that parents take so little interesting parenting now days. It is as if they just corral them until they are of age and then set them out on their own. No manners, no life skills-- nothing.
It's scary to think how society will be when they are grown up . . . we see too much of this going on everywhere. I have never seen a librarian so passive like that - it was unreal!
@much2say ....Yeah. Librarians used to be perceived as hard rule makers and keeping everyone quiet. I don't really blame her. Kids can be so mean now days. I wish parents took more responsibility.
@celticeagle That's the thing - parents should be the one handling their own kids period - it's not the responsibility of the librarian. Still it didn't help that the librarian didn't even try.
'pparently they allow such behavior 't home 's well . none're doin' those youngsters any favors by lettin' 'em act that way. i fear i'd been sayin' somethin' to the parents, the librarian 'n those young'uns. most disrespectful :(
Oh yes, it was quite disrespectful! And you should've heard the way one of the girls talked - oh my gosh I would give it to my kids for being that demanding to someone else. They weren't super little kids either . . . they were probably all above 3rd grade . . . they really should have known better. And sheesh - those parents - what in the world were they thinking to not say anything to their kids - they needed a big ol' smack in the head too!
@much2say no doubt the parents allow 'em to get by with such e'en 't home :( so yes ma'am, smack 'way!
@crazyhorseladycx It's really scary to think what a nightmare these kids might be in a few years - or in the future period if their parents let them go on like this. Yikes!
Wow, these parents are not parenting, eh? I remember when the high school kids would come in and sometimes get loud, but the librarians wouldn't allow it to out of hand. I remember when my youngest was about 18 months - 2 years old and I would take him and his older sister to the library every week to get books out. Well, he got to where he was so comfortable, he would run around by running down the aisle and of course he had the advantage, because if I go down one aisle to get him, he would run up the next aisle, laughing all the way. He only did it a couple times, because when I (and probably with the help of my daughter) caught him, we left and only my daughter and I got books. I remember him crying in the back seat and me explaining to him the reason he didn't get any books and that if he behaves next time, he will be allowed to check out some books. Needless to say he is well behaved when in public, because I think I had to take him out from the grocery store a few times too.
I could not believe these parents just yapped away in their conversations and not once did they go over to their children to make them stop. They weren't even very little, they were 8-9 year olds that should have known better. And that librarian - on my gosh - I have never seen a librarian be so passive like that! Well you were pro-active in teaching your son the ways of the library . . . that's what they need or how else are they going to learn?! You taught him a lesson and he learned big time from that. These parents obviously had not taught or enforced anything on their kids . . . they were older and didn't "get it" yet! Makes me wonder what's going to happen when they turn into teens - what a scary thought.
@much2say It is scary, more and more children are taking charge when they need guidance. I tihnk if I were you, I would have gone to the librarian and if she still didn't do anything, I would tell her that I will go to "whoever is in charge of that library" Now I know during children's hour it gets pretty wild, but that's okay, usually people are not doing homework or business work because they would know it is children's hour, but any other time is a time for quiet for those who have work to do. I said this because there were times I had to use the library for my school work and fortunately I went there before the high school let out, so I had no distractions.
@much2say I agree and let me know if you get any feedback, it will be interesting to see what they say.
What did the librarian do to stop those kids from doing those ? She has every right to tell them to stop since she is in -charge of the library and a ,library should be a silent place .
Sadly, she did NOTHING. Ok, maybe she said too gently a couple times to keep it quiet - the kids stopped for that moment - but then got crazy again. The parents were there and they should have at least done something - these kids were really out of of control!!
@much2say yes the parents should have done somethin to stop them.
@SIMPLYD It was very disappointing to see parents not doing their job, as well as that librarian!!
@thelme55 (14575)
That was not a good manner indeed. I still remember the time where I used to learned for my studies in the library as it was the only quiet place I could study far from home.
The library should be a place where people can study in peace . . . it should be quiet so people can focus and not be distracted. Luckily this children's section was away from the rest of the library to some degree, but still this was no way for kids to behave!
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Some parent just don't seem to care what their kids do, then when their kids get into trouble they say, "My kid would never do that!" I don't know how much "authority" a librarian would have with the parents sitting nearby.
Denial - these parents must be in total denial! Our librarians are pretty good about hushing kids in the library - even if the parents are there so they get clue that they should be watching their kids. It's funny how parents wake up "after" the librarian says something. Oh but the librarian at this library wasn't proactive at all . . . I could not believe that she did nothing as the kids were going wild right in front of her. And shame on the parents who did nothing as well!!
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say You never know, she may have had some bad run-ins with parents before and didn't want get involved.
@RichardMeister That's very possible, but then again she isn't doing her job!
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
They should be put out on a playground and not in the library, thats just rude for those who are trying to read and concentrate
I thought so too! Seriously, there is a park just a walk away from that library, couldn't they all have taken it over there? I was just appalled that anyone could allow their kids to behave this way in what's supposed to be a quiet library.
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
@much2say Yeah, I would of had told their parents something
@BACONSTRIPSXXX I should have. But there was a librarian right there in front of the kids. Hard to believe she didn't enforce the rules - a very mousy lady I guess!
@CRK109 (14465)
Lack of respect. And it begins with the parents. What a shame.
I don't even want to know how these kids will grow up - it's a scary thought!!
@CRK109 (14465)
@much2say I know. And imagine when they have their own children. They won't know how to raise them with any kind of good manners.
@CRK109 Ugh - can you imagine good manners being a thing of the past?
Some parents really do lack the skills necessary to parent. Also, parents seem to be far more interested in other things than their children.
I don't know what it is . . . it seems like parenting has gone in the direction of not making your child feel bad to the point where they are simply not learning the basics of proper behavior at all. I hate the parents who get caught up with their phones and screen time rather than supervising their children.
@much2say Me too. I remember the public library as a kid was quiet as could be since it was the rule that no talking was allowed.
@Corbin5 One would think that's a common sense thing . . . library = place where people get books to read . . . reading = quiet activity which requires quietness in order to focus. Such a simple concept that had been around and successful for years - what happened???
Oh my gosh seriously! They let their kids do anything. Just the other day, I went to Target. You see these two boys about 10 playing video games in the game section. There was only one working controller so they both were "sharing" trying to share and one boy was just plain cursing at his buddy or little other this f*king game , let me f*cking play stop interrupting me, like what really. This little boy KEPT cursing.
Isn't it terrible what comes out of these young mouths?? I'm seeing and hearing that a lot too - and sadly not just the kids, but adults too. It's horrible that people just talk cursing every other word without thinking - it's just part of life to them. And now kids are doing the same. I remember at one party this one boy who was not even 5-6 was saying F a lot . . . that was really bad!
@much2say yeah I'm sure the parents are using it which makes trains the kids it's okay to be used. He didn't studder used the word clear and loud.
@infatuatedbby They used to say in the old days that some kids need to scrub their mouths out with soap - ain't that the truth!
@HazySue (21336)
@much2say I don't know why parents allow their children to behave in such a manner. It used to be that they would be asked to leave if they could't make their children behave,
Yep - but these days if they were asked to leave, there would be nobody left in the library .
@HazySue (21336)
@much2say I guess you are right.
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
That's the problem with a lot of the kids today @much2say , the kids are the bosses now; not the parents. Had I have been in the library that day, I would have literally shouted, "SHUT UP!" Seriously, I don't put up with it. And it does get the parents attention.
It's as if the parents don't want to hurt their kids' feelings or egos . . . it's really a strange backwards way of thinking to me. My parents would have smacked me on the head if I acted like they did, but really we knew better than to do that because we knew what would happen. Hee hee - that would've been good to tell them to shut up - I wasn't that brave .
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
@much2say I was raised the same as you and knew what would have happened. You should see what I do in grocery stores when I see kids acting up.
@nanette64 Oh gosh, I can't believe how some parents will allow their kids to run around wild in stores and tear the place apart. No respect I tell ya!!!
Hate it when parents don't discipline their children in the correct manner!!
It's horrible, isn't it? I'd hate to think how these kids will be as they get older and brattier!
@much2say Hopefully they grow up a bit!
@annaroselock I hope so too . . . but they will need guidance - and I hope they get it sooner than later!
They do that in restaurants too. Some people just should not have children. They don't want to parent, so they don't. Too sad, explains why teachers have more trouble with kids now than in the past.
Oh yes, we see that in restaurants as well! I did see one fine restaurant that had a sign up front in the hostess area basically saying kids should be seated with their group at all times - and no cell phones at the table. Smart! I hate that some parents don't feel the need to discipline their children - it's as if they are afraid of hurting them or something - when they are supposed to be their guide!! I don't doubt teachers have so much to deal with these days!
My mother used to say that. You need a certificate for everything but not for making children.
@MALUSE She was right. It's silly.
Those kids thought of the library as children's park or their own home !Like father,like son ! No wonder the kids didn't know any better.Obviously No matter where Your kids go, they strike people as having a strict upbringing.
Exactly - they were treating the library like a park - and I don't even want to know how they act at home. Two of the mothers were Asian - and that really surprised me that they would allow their kids to act like that (my parents would NEVER allow such behavior - and we knew not to behave like that, especially in front of them!!). And that's the thing - it's as if these kids had no fear of consequences - they must be allowed to do whatever they want at all times!
@much2say Needless to say ,those mothers have spoiled their kids rotten and the uncontrollable kids would make trouble wherever they are.
@changjiangzhibin89 And unfortunately there are so many parents that do not control their kids . . . I see it everywhere!
It amazes me too that people let their children behave like monsters in a public place or even at home.
I've seen it in stores or restaurants or wherever - but not in a library for goodness sake. I almost felt like I must have been in some hidden camera tv show . . . it was really that bad!
@much2say A library would be the last place where you'd expect really rowdy behaviour.
@JudyEv Seriously this was the worst I'd ever seen it !
@bunnybon7 (36504)
• Holiday, Florida
so this was just a childrens library? if not then things have certainly changed. I should not be surprised. not many seem to be teaching their kids much these days nor for the past 20 yrs. either
Well, this was at a public library, in the children's section. This particular library has a separate sort of enclosed area for the children's section . . . but some of the kids were running back and forth to both areas screaming their heads off. Tell me about it - kids show no fear of consequences these days!
@bunnybon7 (36504)
• Holiday, Florida
@much2say parents don't seem to do their jobs any more. most that is
@bunnybon7 It's sad but true .