Throwing your money away...

How often do you throw away your money? Just toss it out for the trashman to collect and carry off? "Why, I am quite sensible with my money!" you may say. "I don't waste any of it, and I surely wouldn't just throw it away!" Well then, I hope you are not buying any of the following things: *Toilet paper *Kleenex *Disposable diapers And the ultimate item designed to be bought and simply thrown away... *Trash bags All of these are things that could be done without, but we would rather have the convenience of using them and discarding them than having to do lots of laundry...or having stained smelly wastebaskets sitting around. (Of course, the impetus behind this was taking the trash out this morning and realizing I just used the last trash bag and need to buy more) Can you think of other items that you use and just throw away?
@Missmwngi (9984)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Failure to recycle what can be recycled is another money thrown away
Yep.
@VidaVida (133)
• Jakarta, Indonesia
U smart enough.... I like u
McDonald's and all the JUNK food out there.
Really that is just a different kind of food, which we need, if not that particular type.
@JolietJake if what Mcdonalds classifies as food is what they believe food should be, a refresher course is needed
@sabtraversa (13336)
Chewing gums! I'm also bad at managing razors. Toilet paper too, well, we have bidets, if we're really dirty we can wash, we don't waste tons of paper. Tampons, absorbents, tissues.
Once I sat and started thinking, there's all kinds of stuff.
@sabtraversa (13336)
@JolietJake We don't really throw our money after all, as long as we're happy while we're using it. Water can be expensive too.
@sabtraversa I need to learn from the birds and Scar...just bathe in and drink from a puddle
I use toilet paper a lot . I use it to wipe any spilled thing or liquid on my lampshade table . I use it when i am wiping my lips of lipstick . So , i am always throwing my money . Oh my !
It probably wouldn't be a lot, but I wonder how much the average person spends on 'disposable' things...razors is one that costs a bit.
@JolietJake Yes, they're just cheap indeed , so it's not much waste of money . Yes, razors can be a bit of a cost .
@Missmwngi (9984)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Now that makes the two of us ha haa,I also use alot of it
@Platespinner (16520)
I use disposable toilet paper...but I used cloth diapers with all four of my kids, and I prefer a good old fashioned handkerchief to a paper tissue. When it really comes down to it most of us opt for convenience rather than sustainability.
@Genipher (5136)
I'm guilty of that. I did a mixture of cloth diapers and disposables before giving in to the convenience of the latter.
@Genipher When my oldest was a baby (he'll be 22 in less than a month), there was no disposable diaper that could contain his messes. I figured if I was going to have to wash baby poop out of every item of clothing he wore I might just as well be using cloth diapers. Lo and behold the rubber pants actually contained his messes. I tried disposables again with the youngest but every brand of disposables we tried gave her diaper rash.
@Genipher (5136)
@Platespinner Ug. I remember those mornings. It's nice when they grow out of that "blow-out" stage. That's one of the negative side-effects from the disposables...diaper rash!
@Genipher (5136)
I'm looking forward to the day when we won't have to buy diapers or baby wipes anymore. How 'bout shampoo? I've found hair can be washed just as well with baking soda. And soda is cheap!
@dfollin (12744)
I like that picture! But toilet paper is a must have
@Genipher (5136)
@dfollin I agree!
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
Paper towels. But then again, since I recycle everything and burn all the rest, I'm good to go @JolietJake .
@dfollin (12744)
I wish we had a fireplace to burn stuff or lived further out where we could burn stuff outside.
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
@dfollin It sure does make a difference. The commercial on TV about the fact that toilet paper rolls could fill up the Empire State Building twice is enough to give people pause I would think.
@thelme55 (14574)
Toilet paper is a must. Buying things that I donĀ“t use is throwing away my money and so I became frugal. Well not in food but I seldom eat junk food.
@sishy7 (27647)
I just re-use plastic shopping bags as trash bags...
@dfollin (12744)
So do I for the smaller trash cans, but I am staying with my mom and uncle right now and they won't do that. They waste money on those small trash bags
@sishy7 (27647)
@dfollin Down here we don't have to line the garbage bins with large plastic trash bags for the garbage truck to empty them. I just line the smaller trash cans with plastic shopping bags, change them once full, tie the full plastic bag up, then toss it in the garbage bins outside. Once a week we wheel the garbage bin out by the curb for the truck to empty it.
@dfollin (12744)
@sishy7 No we do not have to line the outdoor can's but all trash in there must be in plastic bags.
@vandana7 (65019)
Yes. I buy vegetables. I ingest, and well, it is not thrown away, it is kind of flushed away..
But a body needs food to survive, that's a bit different.
@vandana7 (65019)
@JolietJake ... In case, what I am eating ..needs to be cut down..I am 12 kgs overweight...obviously I am eating more than I need to.
@vandana7 Most of my money goes to 'waist'
@koopharper (6284)
Anything called Swiffer.
We spend a bit on stuff we could clean with a rag, a mop, and a bit of soap and water
@JolietJake Gotta make at least an effort to be clean.
I always felt like toilet paper was just flushing away money lol
@VidaVida (133)
• Jakarta, Indonesia
Very funny, :D
We still write checks, buy plastic ziploc type bags, aluminum foil, and wax paper and plastic wrap. Those are just off the top of my head.My grand parents wrote checks but I know they did without most of the others. Oh, also paper towels, and paper table napkins.
@dfollin (12744)
I have to use my checks so little that I cannot find my check book,lol In the long run using the plastic zip lock bags saves money. Because if you keep food in the bags in the freezer or holding bake goods, etc to preserve them in the freezer and keep air and ants from spoiling food.
@shivamani10 (11232)
• Hyderabad, India
How many are realizing this? I think there are few. These things are meant for throwing the money only...you are riight.
@ilocosboy (34325)
Dresses, sometimes we only used it once (especially for rich and famous) and then forget it.
Most of them can afford to waste it
@Genipher (5136)
@ilocosboy Like...a wedding dress?
@dfollin (12744)
@Genipher Good point!
@wolfie34 (26793)
I am a strong believer of you get what you pay for if you buy cheap then you can't expect it to last, so in the long run you are throwing money out, it many be economical to buy the cheaper brand on the shelves but you can guarantee it won't last as long and you end up spending more. We have become a very 'disposable' society with no thought too of how this effects the environment, after all where does all the rubbish go? We produce tonnes and tonnes of rubbish each year per household. So that's more landfill sites and as the population grows even more, trash continues to grow. And as you said the money thrown away would probably feed an entire country for a year.
Dang wolfie, ain't seen you in a long time! Did you just come back recently? (I was the Lamb years ago)
@wolfie34 (26793)
@JolietJake Hi Lamb, came back yesterday, all the other sites seem to have disappeared. Impressed Mylot is still going, thought I'd give it another try, still prefer the old format though.
@wolfie34 This one is very different, but after you're here a bit, it'll seem like the same old place, pretty much
@dfollin (12744)
Well if those things like diapers, toilet paper,kleenex were used it is not wasted. And the trash company that picks up the trash requires that everything must be put in a plastic trash bag.
Our trash company does not require a bag...just a trash can. And people used to WASH diapers...not use them once and throw them away.
@dfollin (12744)
@JolietJake yes people did use to wash them out. But I guess if you want to look at it from a point of view of wasting....... you are wasting time,detergent and water. Have you ever heard the saying, "Time is Money"?
@dfollin It is still cheaper...quite a bit cheaper.
@louievill (18674)
Smoking is more glamorous since it involves special gadgets like lighters and ashtraysburning is more sophisticated than just throwing it away which is very naive
Guilty
@louievill (18674)
@sugartoes (40759)
• Greencastle, Indiana
there's a lot of things we buy that we later throw away, like paper towels paper plates plastic cups the list goes on but it's the way people work to make life simple & less work everyday
And it keeps the garbage collectors employed
paper towels. the hubs refuses to use the kitchen towels....