I Just Found a Site Striving to Improve Internet Privacy

Midland, Michigan
I must have clicked on something while looking at a members discussions yesterday, for I got a tab that asked if I wanted to add something to my browser to block info from leaking out when doing searches. It was some type of privacy alert. I've checked into it further and it looks legit. Below is the link. I just requested that the BBB look into this business and I did finally find their contact info. It looks like they've helped people and businesses out when the government confiscated their computers and info without any warrants. They helped by providing legal expertise which can also be corroborated by people outside their organization. I've done a lot of reading about this site today, and discovered that it's been in business for twenty-five years and it's mission is to protect free speech while protecting privacy and they get involved in many things related to that and similar infringements. I believe the site that I first saw was a site pretending to be the one linked here. It's happened before, but previously the url had the EFF's name spelled out which seems a common way to trip up unwary consumers into thinking they are looking at the correct link. Thankfully I didn't download anything from that original source.
(Note that EFF's Technology Projects, such as HTTPS Everywhere, have a different privacy policy, available here) The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is committed to protecting the privacy of visitors to our website, as well as our members and voluntee
Will take a look at this. Thank you for providing the link!
• Midland, Michigan
I've not downloaded anything yet to my computer nor my browsers until I check into it further, but after reading several pages it's sounds like they are on the right track.
That would be a welcome addition to anyone's computer today as too much is reflected from our online activity. I'll have to check this out.
• Midland, Michigan
It explains on the page I put there, I think it was, how they track visitors, how they encrypt the info so they can't even find the IP address and how soon things are deleted. They are working to get better laws passed to either disallow companies to amass all the info they do or to at least inform the consumer how to opt out when possible. From this, maybe I won't want a smart phone after all even if I ever can afford one.
@CinnamonGrl (5807)
• Paradise, California
Interesting. Sometimes I worry about adding anything for fear there is something else attached that is actually harmful. Sometimes you think something is helping you but it's actually spyware or something. I'll check it out for sure.
• Midland, Michigan
That's why I wanted to check it out first myself. It looks legit. I've not checked it with the bbb or other similar places yet. I can also have my computer guy check it out and see what he thinks. I don't know whether he's concerned about the privacy issues online yet though, or not.
• Midland, Michigan
@akalinus I did as you suggested here and the only thing that came up with scams were places this site went to bat in court where some other entity was being scammed. I found that the site showing here is legit, but the one that I originally saw isn't. They were using the name of the legit site without permission and trying to get unwary consumers probably to download malware and such. I found out some things on how to tell the difference which I may share later on. I don't remember whether the legit site actually provides something for the browsers protection. It may be that they don't. I looked a few days ago and don't remember right now, but I do know that if they do have something it's not the same something that I almost downloaded. THankfully, Firefox wouldn't let it download and that's when I went looking for answers.
@akalinus (15811)
@MarshaMusselman If the browser won't let you load it, believe it. Stay away from anything that your security says is bad, too.
@akalinus (15811)
Not sure I would trust it. I don't trust much these days, especially popups.
Thank you! That is something worth investigating.
• Midland, Michigan
I put in a request to the BBB since they don't have them listed yet. I figure they can find out whether it's legit or not. I'm not sure how long it may take though.
@MarshaMusselman That's a great idea!
this is sort of questionable to me.Have to think about it
• Midland, Michigan
I've not found out whether or not it's legit, in fact I was kind of hoping that someone else would have heard about this already. I did put a request in to the BBB for their imput, but I don't know how long that may take.
@cahaya1983 (10053)
I would usually do a little bit of research before signing up. Especially since there are lots of spyware/malware these days.
• Midland, Michigan
Agreed. I've been reading and haven't decided whether to use it yet or not and it may take me months before I know anything more.
Sounds interesting, but I'd need to know a lot more before I added anything to my browser.
• Midland, Michigan
I'm not adding it just yet either. I'll probably do more digging first to see what I can find about it to make sure either way. They don't provide any contact info which is highly unusual. I'm hoping some of the computer guru's here will have heard of this already.
@DaddyEvil (24795)
• Aurora, Missouri
Hmmm... well, that is certainly interesting, Marsha! I'll do some looking into this, too... I appreciate the head's up on it!
most interestin', ms. marsha. i so dislike all the farmin' that goes 'round via the net :( i've got my system purty spoof proof 't the moment, 'r so i think? i'll do a bit more readin' 'n this ~ thanks fer the info :)
Sounds like a good thing.
It seems worth looking into, I will get around it it eventually.
@akalinus (15811)
So is this link good or bad?