Time to Wash the Kitchen Floor

@Raelove (16820)
Saco, Maine
Since I moved here last fall, I've kept up with spot-mopping this linoleum kitchen floor at least once a week. Or, I wipe up grungy areas with some all-purpose cleaner and paper towels. I did that early this morning, before putting the cat's food and water bowls down, and the paper towel came up with black spots on it. OK. That did it. As hot and muggy as it's been today, I decided that it was time to get this floor thoroughly washed. I set up my tower fan so that it blew on me while I worked, and got busy. It's a long and narrow kitchen, and I don't have a lot of furniture there other then a table, chairs, and desk, so it didn't take long to get everything moved into the living room. After dust mopping, I went at it, and it took about 1/2 hour to wash. I read a book while I let it dry, and now everything's back in its place. I use a standard sponge mop with the retractable squeezer fit into the arm and just regular floor cleaner that I buy at Dollar Tree. I have used cloth mops in the past, but they're too hard to wring out and they get too grungy. I remember my mother doing her floors on her hands and knees years ago, not only washing but waxing as well. I don't go that far. As long as it's clean, I'm happy. And now it is! (Public Domain Image)
I remember doing my floors and then putting down newspaper so I could get across the room when I needed to until it dried. So silly thinking back now.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Yes. My mother would do her floors while we were at school, let them dry, and then put the papers around by the door so we could take our shoes or boots off there without tracking. When I do a floor, I turn fans on so it dries within minutes. I walk around barefoot or in slippers inside, so I don't track much dirt in.
@Raelove .....That is what I do now. But when young I didn't think to take my shoes off.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle I've walked barefooted over a wet floor and just went over it again. Or my cat just HAS to walk across it wet, so I have to redo it...lol
@louievill (18100)
You are like my wife and my mother, always cleaning the kitchen floor. From time to time after they have cleaned, i spray our kitchen floor (tiles) with lysol disinfectant that I mix myself and put in a spray bottle then spread it out with a mop, um the kitchen smells so fresh.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I love how some of those products leave things smelling so nice.
@louievill (18100)
@Raelove the new blue lysol really smells good and it is hospital grade, it's also very cheap cause you can make a lot with their suggested dilution.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@louievill I do like the smell of that one.
@CinnamonGrl (5740)
• Paradise, California
I do the hands and knees things because I can see little spots better. Also the position for mopping is actually worse for my back and neck than getting all the way down is. Trouble is, now the KNEES are going lol.
My knees are shot so its not feasible for me to even consider washing the floor kneeling
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
That's my problem. My knees went a long time ago, so I have no choice but to go the mop route.
I used to help Mum wash our kitchen/dining floor and we'd do it on our hands and knees. I could never do it now. I have a mop something like yours although it has a cloth pad rather than a sponge.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I really do need to upgrade this mop. I am hoping to get one of those units with the disposable cloth heads. I had a cheap one a year ago, but for some completely dumb reason, I thought, "I won't need that," and got rid of it. Not one of my brighter moves, as that would have come in SO handy here.
@Raelove We have a floor that is vinyl slats that look like wood. The cloth head I use can be replaced when it wears out. We don't have any carpet now.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv In the U.S. that is called laminate. I had that in my last apartment and did not like it at all. It was a dark color, and showed dust, white cat hair, lint, etc. all the time. I sometimes had to mop/vacuum twice a day to keep the tumbleweeds from forming in the corners. If I were to ever have the option of putting laminate in, it would be light colored. Here, I have a mix of white linoleum and dark carpeting. I have a love/hate relationship with it, as I need a vacuum for the carpet and a mop for the lino.
I want to get one of those spin mops. They spin most of the water out of the mop. That way it takes less time for the floor to dry.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I've seen those, too. For this floor and with this cat of mine, I think I'd like to have one of those double-duty rigs that uses either dry pads or wet. Cat hair is one of my biggest problems, as she sheds ALL. THE. TIME.
@Raelove we have two cats so I know exactly what you are talking about. There is one that has a reservoir to put your choice of cleansers and a pad that is washable.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@ElusiveButterfly I found a coupon for a Swiffer WetJet. Might look into that.
I remember my mom doing the same. Remember she would warn us not to step food on that waxed floor until it dried. I use a sponge mop too, but found a washable microfiber cover that goes over the sponge that I can toss in the washing machine when dirty.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
My mother used to put newspapers all over her clean floors. LOL
@Raelove Hooray for our Moms!!! They were so clever!!
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@Corbin5 Yes they were. AND they hated seeing all that hard work get messed up the minute we got home from school with our muddy or wet shoes!
@moffittjc (41159)
• Gainesville, Florida
Just a few minutes ago, I finished giving my bathroom and shower a thorough scrubbing. I do a regular cleaning once a week and then about once a month a do a thorough scrubbing. I did the thorough scrubbing tonight, since I had some extra time on my hands and actually felt in the mood to clean! It's always such a nice feeling to have it all done!
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Yes it is. I live alone, so things don't get really dirty. I vacuum/dust mop every single day, but I'm pretty lax when it comes to dusting furniture. And with a white cat that sheds all the time, it's a constant battle.
No more for me.I use the swifter jet.I loved it
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I would like to get one of those, too.
My Mom had a huge kitchen and hall and she did all the floor cleaning on her knees also. I do it with a Swiffer.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
That'll be one of my next purchases as soon as I can afford one.
My mom always did our floors on her hands & knees. Those days are long gone for me & now I do all my floors with a steam mop. Sometimes I have to do my floors more than once a week
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I really should do it more often, but it's not one of my favorite jobs. When I have some extra money, I want to invest in one of those wet-jet mops. I used to have an all-purpose mophead that I could buy those dry or wet pads for, and I got rid of it when I moved. I have kicked myself for that. I do have a big dust mop that I can use those pads on, but it's a chore taking the dust pad off and on.
These days mom mops the floor in my entire living room and kitchen.lucky me. But I wonder why the floor does not smell fresh after she had mopped it.it smells so bad like rotten fish.