'Freedom of Speech' and The Internet

By JJ
How many times have you seen references to 'Freedom of Speech' by people upset over having something deleted on a website? "They are violating my right to free speech!" Nope. Most times, they are not. 'Freedom of speech' is not the right to go stand in someone's yard and scream and holler stuff. In fact, it doesn't even, of necessity, cover your right to stand in your own yard and scream and holler stuff. After all, if it is 2 AM and the neighbors are sleeping, you could be arrested and charged with disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace. And even if you are quietly and politely saying something on a website, and it is deleted by the owner(s), that is not a violation of 'freedom of speech'. After all, you are free to go and make your own website and state those opinions. Freedom of Speech is actually 'the right to communicate one's opinions and ideas without fear of government retaliation or censorship.' (Definition from Wikipedia) Even then, there are limitations as to what is considered 'Freedom of Speech'. One thing it is not is a guarantee to be able to say anything, anytime, anywhere. Of course, you are more than welcome to try...
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search This article is about freedom of speech in general. For freedom of speech in specific jurisdictions, see freedom of speech by country. For free speech restrictions on Wikipedia, see WP:Free
@Platespinner (16711)
Of course if I go yell in my yard at 5 AM the neighbours can call the authorities on me and I can be charged with disturbing the peace, but when the sanitary engineers come through my neighbourhood making lots of noise at 5 AM it's perfectly acceptable...
Maybe if you can get a legally qualified job to stand and holler in the yard at 5 AM...
@JolietJake Personally I'd rather be asleep at that hour!
@Platespinner I would too, but Scar starts exercising HIS 'Freedom of Speech' demanding to go outside between 3 and 4 most mornings
@inertia4 (26298)
The internet is a vast world. There is no regulations on the internet like in real life. It is an open forum. Sites designate guidelines and if anyone goes outside those boundaries, then they get in trouble. As for the internet itself, there is no regulations.
'As for the internet itself, there is no regulations.' I have to disagree there, somewhat. From a legal standpoint/view, there are things not permitted by laws of some countries.
@inertia4 (26298)
@JolietJake I get that, but as a whole there is none. And countries are still fighting and looking for ways to restrict it. But it is not that easy since it is international.
@inertia4 For instance, the way they keep trying to shut down The Pirate Bay and other such sites.
@Jackalyn (5686)
• Oxford, England
Well said. I think we should treat people on the Internet the way we would be expected to elsewhere. If people take time to think there are polite ways to say anything.
But being 'polite' isn't really the point. After all, if you make a post here, for instance, that is simply "I saw a duck" and it gets deleted, that doesn't violate your freedom of speech, but many people would claim it does. THAT being said, politeness does have its uses. And many times we can disagree on points without getting mean about it.
• New Delhi, India
You can post anything just because you have freedom of speech?
No you can't. There are many things you can't post here.
• New Delhi, India
@JolietJake absolutely correct that's what I meant to say
........and everyone has their own idea as to what this freedom is and does.
Most of them erroneous in their assumptions.
@JolietJake ......Isn't that the truth?
I think that common sense trumps freedom of speech, even in the middle of the night while the neighbours are sleeping. Its just too bad that not everyone has the same quota of common sense.
Or like they say "Common sense isn't very common these days"
@skysnap (17590)
I think freedom of speech if stretched long enough becomes trouble.
I don't think it is trouble as long as people understand what it really is.
@topffer (28533)
• France
The notion is not the same here, because some talks are forbidden by law : being obviously racist or doing the apology of a crime might send somebody to court. This said, any site owner can remove a comment which is not against the laws, and some media are doing it and are keeping only the comments following their line... It is something rather more complex than people are thinking usually.
Exactly. Many people think it means they can say anything, anywhere, anytime. They don't seem to 'get' that it is not a 'free pass'.
In India, it's very hard to express any thing especially if there's is somethin against a religion or a political party.. the basic right of freedom of speech is lost here and you would be jailed
And then again, the instance of being arrested for saying something would give further publicity for what you are saying...it's a two-edged sword
there are alot of things people think are rights that really arent what the law means
@Mike197602 (13310)
• Worcester, England
There's no such thing as true free speech. We live in countries that are more free than others but true free speech doesn't exist in either place. On the net there can be near true free speech but you'd need to own your own site. Here there is absolutely no free speech as whatever we say can be removed by admin for any or no reason
• New Delhi, India
@JolietJake Very nice and insightful article. :-)
Hahaha well I learned this in school when I was called into the principals office. We cannot say anything we want if it hurts others.
There is nothing to add, you have very well explained this subject.