The Concert that Never Was

Manitou Springs, Colorado
Out of all the concerts I've seen, this was going to be the most epic. Back in the mid-90's, a mind-blowing tour was organized: in order, Gang of Four, Anthrax, Public Enemy, and The Sisters of Mercy. The show was scheduled for Red Rocks (where U2 filmed their Under a Blood Red Sky video,) and my friend and I had tickets. We planned on doing some heroic drinking that day, both inside and outside the venue. We're talking margaritas at a locally-owned Mexican restaurant in town, followed by beers in the Red Rocks parking lot, and more beers inside once the gates opened. In other words, we were planning on some serious drinking while watching four wildly diverse bands, with a wildly diverse crowd. And it never happened. The tour was cancelled right before it hit Denver. Why? I've never heard an official reason but Sisters leader Andrew Eldritch put it bluntly: "It seems as though America still has a problem with black crowds and white crowds being in the same crowd." (Funny, but that seems not to have changed all these years later.) It was the day that never happened. We ended up trading our tickets for a David Sanborn show, which is a story in itself. And here we are, some 20 years later, and the only band of the four that I've managed to see is The Sisters of Mercy. But oh, man, would that have been a fun day!
Dominion / Mother Russia by Sisters of Mercy Lyrics: In the heat of the night In the heat of the day When I close my eyes When I look your way When I meet th...
@crossbones27 (12929)
• Redlands, California
So true in regards to sharing the stage. I actually think it is more acceptable for whites and blacks to hang out at all hip hop concerts than it is when they share the stage with rock, metal, or punk rock genres. I am not sure as to why that is. I know punk rock seems to call out racism every chance they get, but you will hardly see any black people at a punk rock show even if hip hop artists are there to share the stage with them. Maybe black people just really do not like punk rock, but you would figure they would like ska, considering the music is so influenced by reggae. Then again, not many black people like Rage Against The Machine. Those songs lyrically seem like they would be easy for black people to relate to. Cool song by the way.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
I'm not sure what went on before it was cancelled. For all I know, a bunch of fighting at prior shows forced the cancellation. I hope not.
I don't buy the excuse that in the mid 90s that blacks and whites had a problem being in the same crowd. If that were true, then there would be no sporting events or other concerts or attending a TV show taping. Sure, a NASCAR crowd isn't going to mix with a hip hop crowd but the kind of crowd interested in that concert lineup would be liberal and appreciate of black music. A BS reason for canceling.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
You have to keep in mind that Eldritch is kind of a jerk. But it's the only reason I've ever heard.
• New Delhi, India
Who is The sister of mercy?
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
They are a legendary goth band.
• New Delhi, India
@teamfreak16 and what is goth band?
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
@ModernDayWriter - There is a link to one of their songs at the end of the discussion. That's goth.
I hate it when that happens.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
I'm still bummed about it. And this was in the 90's.
@FourWalls (7950)
That sounds like a rather diverse line-up, one where some fans (like hard-core rap fans of Public Enemy and hard-core fans of thrash metal Anthrax) might not get along. Then again, on the other hand, the fans may have been great and one of the bands may have been upset that someone got a bigger ovation than they did. I'm sorry the tour got canceled before it got to you.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
Other than the Rock Werchter Festival, that would have been the best one-day lineup I would have ever seen.
• Eugene, Oregon
Despite the cancellation, I do hope that you managed to have a drink or two that day.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
Oh, we did some drinking that day!
Sorry to hear that it never happened. I bet it would have been a blast.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
Oh, it would have been epic!
@Ronrybs (7085)
• London, England
Most intriguing. Would love to know what was the story there