Confession: I married a knife and fork pizza eater. Are you one?

Pixabay Public Domain Image
Eugene, Oregon
Yes, even though she grew up in southern California, Anne, like more than a few people from back east whom I have dined with, uses a knife and fork when we have pizza. I sort of look around to see if people are staring, but most Oregonians seem pretty tolerant of strange dining habits. The first knife and fork pizza eater I met was someone I worked with from New Jersey where, he said, most people eat their pizza that way. So, confess, do you eat pizza with your hands as it was meant to be eaten? Has pizza made its way around the the world? Is it popular in England, Australia, Canada, China and the Philippines or where you live??
@responsiveme (16835)
Yes, pizza is very much here in India and we eat it with our hands.
• Eugene, Oregon
As we all should, lol.
@JamesHxstatic My own family still living in Quebec and still eat their pizza with utensils. They do not like watching me eating it with my hands.
@egdcltd (6895)
Pizza came from Europe! Yes, I eat it with a knife and fork as well. Admittedly, my favourite type is the calzone which you couldn't eat with your fingers, but I eat all types with a knife and fork (and most other dishes too; you can eat chicken wings with a knife and fork).
• Eugene, Oregon
I love calzone too! But I never eat chicken wings, even as a kid at home I avoided them. I actually was aware that pizza came from Italy, although there is some controversy about even that.
@egdcltd (6895)
@JamesHxstatic I don't think I've ever had pizza in Italy (I was only about a year old when I went, so it's doubtful) but I have had it in Malta, which has been influenced by the Italian diet, and in Italian restaurants in the UK (and, of course, American ones like Pizza Hut).
chicken wings with a knife and fork? weird to me!
When I lived in the province of Quebec, we did use a fork and a knife to eat our pizza. The first time I ordered a pizza in the U.S. and I had to ask for utensils, needless to say that my then American boyfriend was very embarrassed!
• Eugene, Oregon
I know that feeling, lol.
@CinnamonGrl (6066)
• Paradise, California
I'm your basic pick it up in your hands and shove it in your face pizza eater! That's interesting that some people would eat it with knife and fork. Do they have to use a steak knife? Doesn't seem like a plain dull dinner knife and fork would "cut" it lol.
• Eugene, Oregon
Anne likes a steak knife actually.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I have eaten pizza with a fork, but not a knife, if I felt the pizza was going to bend to the point of me losing part of the toppings. If you are embarrassed by your wife eating pizza that way, you need to read my post about my brother eating his cooked broccoli with his fingers In a fancy restaurant!
@Platespinner (17045)
I tend to eat pizza with a knife and fork, it's an effective way to prevent burning the roof of my mouth or having the cheese slide off in my lap. Of course the male members of my household (particularly my firstborn son) tend to cast their eyes heavenward when I insist on flatware.
We all eat pizza with our hands here. However, if a pizza is of the messy type, I will use a knife and fork.
@Vivenda (588)
• Portsmouth, England
Depends how hard the pizza is - and how many people are watching me at the time!
If my mother were still alive I probably would see her eating her pizza that way. She used to try and get my step brother to cut his hamburger in two. I think it depends on the situation. If was a first date or something where you didn't want pizza sauce on your mouth. LOL
• Eugene, Oregon
Oh yes, Anne always cuts her burger in half too.
@JamesHxstatic .....Good that she has nice manners. I won't eat a hamburger in a restaurant because I don't want to do that and feel that I should. LOL My grandmother's teachings stays with me to this day.
• Eugene, Oregon
@celticeagle That is really funny!
@topffer (35528)
• France
What would be weird in France, would be to eat a pizza without a fork and a knife. But we are also tolerant with foreigners.
• Eugene, Oregon
We foreigners are grateful for your tolerance too.
There are a lot of Pizza Hut and Domino franchises in Australia. It is a common and popular fast food. I usually use my fingers unless I'm with 'posh' people and minding my manners.
@sallypup (27965)
• Moses Lake, Washington
You caught me. You've been spying on me. Again.
• Eugene, Oregon
You of all people! If you come west that won't do you know.
@sallypup (27965)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JamesHxstatic I expect to spend time in a hippie tofu snortin' parlor more than a pizza parlor. By the way, the trip West is one week from tomorrow.
• Eugene, Oregon
@sallypup Cool, is Corvallis on the itinerary?
Where I live ,there is also pizza to sell,but it is not my cup of tea.However if I ate it, I would use chopsticks ,because we normally have no such a dinner set as knife or fork.
• Eugene, Oregon
That makes sense in your country for certain.
@EddieHands (37815)
Well I am not married, but boy does that pizza look good !
• Eugene, Oregon
It made me hungry when I posted it.
@CRK109 (14435)
I love pizza and mostly make my own. When it's too hot, I have been known to dive in with a fork and knife. But once it's cool enough for me to handle, I grab my slice with my hands!
• Eugene, Oregon
The only way to fly.
@UncleJoe (10617)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
How I eat pizza depends on whether Becky is with me or not.
• Eugene, Oregon
Ahhh, words of a wise man!
@akalinus (19951)
We love pizza but I have never seen anyone use a knife and fork to eat it. I wonder why they do that.
• Eugene, Oregon
Sometimes it seems to be a cultural thing from the comments.
its popular here in india whereas pizza is popular all over the world no doubt it.. but we eat in the traditional way which is using your own hands
@LuciCJ (199)
• Cluj-Napoca, Romania
In Romania, it usually depends where you are having it. If you have it in a restaurant, you definitely will have your pizza with the dedicated silverware. If however you take it away and eat it while on picnic or in your back garden, let's say, then there are no further reasons for formalizing oneself.
@ms1864 (6976)
• Bangalore, India
yeah, I have a friend who does that...she doesn't like to get her hands dirty. My dad does it because he doesn't have the teeth to bite into it.