who do you think you are?

My spit has had the DNA extracted from it and the results are in. *drum roll* I'm 98% worm! No, of course I'm not. I am, however, 98% European. This isn't a surprise. A healthy balance between British and western Europe, followed by a fair bit of Irish {I have no Irish ancestors in my tree}, quite a chunk of Scandinavia {that'll be those pesky Vikings} and a smidgeon of Italian/Greek and Iberian Peninsula. Oh, and a teeny tiny freckle that may be European Jewish. More exciting was the other 2%. This appears to be West Asian {Caucasus}. My money's on Turkey, but I'd rather it were Afghanistan or Iran. Persia perhaps. Something romantic. Maybe I'm descended from Mary and Joseph. Ooh, la la. I think it said that less than 5% of British folk have this Caucasus element in their DNA so if you have it too, there's a good chance we're distant relations. I was skim-reading though, so I may have not read it properly. Whichever it is, it does now confirm the kinky-ness of my hair, as predicted by a former hairdresser I loved, a man who came from Greece. I sadly left him behind in Norwich fifteen years past. That's who I am. Who are you? {I'll be honest, the Irish [16%] has really thrown me. Do I have to start celebrating St Patrick now?}
ya got'chers back, too? i twas a bit shocked by my own, though not far 'hind 'ja. 97.1% northwestern european :) now if'n i can jest figure which program to download the genetic schtuff to, i'd 've 't made. that bein' the part i took the test fer anyhow :) i'd the need to giggle a bit, 's the dna tests debunk some 'f the families hunt fer our genealogy. nah, i've not the heart to share such info with the aunt who spent 40 years trackin' such down, lol.
I downloaded my results from Ancestry.com to Gedmatch and it opens up lots more relatives.
@BelleStarr mine 'twas done through 23and me, so's they could study my screwed 'p genes...'n hopes they'll find a link/cure fer crohn's.
@crazyhorseladycx You can still download them to gedmatch. Log into the site it will tell you how.
I am Irish and Scottish as my dads /Clark family started from Londonderry Ireland and my mom's Richey family came from' Scotland and I'm all American,
So, in theory, you could have bits of western Europe and Scandinavia too!
And the Clark's may be English transplants. so no telling.
@akalinus (22837)
There must have been a tall, dark stranger in the family's past some time. Intriguing!
I know ... and an intrigue which will likely never be solved.
How fun is that. I had mine done too. I am 100% European. (which is actually wrong but the 1% they call Finnish Russian is my Native American) 45% Western Europe, 38% Irish, 11% Iberian, 3 % Great Britain, 2 % pesky Vikings My grandmother was born in Cambridgeshire which comes under Western European and my French Grandmother's ancestors are from south west france thus Iberian. it is fun isn't it.
It is fun. Definitely. But it raises more questions, which is so frustrating! Husband's paternal ancestors are Cambridgeshire through and through. Do you know where your grandmother and her family were from?
@Poppylicious Yup, she was born in Newton in the Isle and her mother was from Sutton St James which is just over the Lincolnshire Border. My 3rd great grandparents were married in March and their daughter was born in Wisbech St Mary.. My ancestors were in that area for several generations. I have driven all around this area many times since I love genealogy.
@BelleStarr I got married in March too, but that's a secret, so shush now! Some of my family are from the Wisbech and King's Lynn areas. :)
@thelme55 (15633)
I have not done DNA test. I think I am almost 100 % Asian . Oh well, my grandmother from my mother side was a mixed Spaniards. A mestisa. Maybe there's a 2 % European in me.
It would be fun to find out!
@thelme55 (15633)
@Poppylicious yes, it could be but expensive too. I suppose.
@thelme55 It is $99 and goes on sale often at Ancestry.com
@pumpkinjam (5800)
I don't know really. I know that my mum's family can be traced back several hundred years and you won't get more than a county or two away! My dad's side, I'm not so sure. I'm fairly certain we're mostly British European. My surname, I have read, is German Jewish but has meaning derived from somewhere in Italy. So, still European but I have no idea about any family from other countries, only those who have spread around from mine and my parents' generations,
My Mumsy's maiden name is either French or Scottish according to surname bods. I'm not sure how that works as it sounds far more French than Scottish!
@Poppylicious That is strange. My Mum's maiden name is Gaelic or Celtic. I can never remember which way round it is. I think it came from Wales and the spelling changed with a move to Scotland. Again, I have no Welsh or Scottish family that I know of! My partner, on the other hand, can trace his surname back to 1066 as his ancestor was related to William the Conquerer. So he knows his name is a corruption of a French name and it's one of the oldest recorded English surnames, as is his first name, which I found interesting as I thought his first name was quite modern!
@skysnap (18216)
100% asian here lol.
Ah, but can you be truly sure? Maybe the distant past brought with it a man or woman from western Europe visiting a far flung exotic place, and they became a direct ancestor some three hundred years ago?!
@fizzytom (759)
• Maribor, Slovenia
Interesting! I suspect mine would come back as 100% European. I do know my family ancestry going back the last 200 years or so and the only thing vaguely exotic were Scottish and Irish roots. I doubt whether anyone came from further afield.
I know my family history going back a few hundred years {albeit not all branches} and the Irish bit has me stumped!
So cool you do know who you are! French and English for me. Not sure if bits of other ethnicity is mixed in, but sure a small percentage of this and that in the mix.
I'd be very surprised if anyone in the US wasn't a hugely rich mix of all sorts!
• New Delhi, India
101% arya pure Indian