Addiction Affects Everyone!

While I do not support the end results that happened because of the fellow's gambling, I also don't think the reporter truly understands the whole situation. Ypu might ask what I'm talking about and since I havent said here is the link. What do you think of it? I will write a follow up after I have heard what people think.
A father gambles with the lives of two young children leaving them inside a hot car - while he's inside a Detroit casino.
Gambling is a very serious addiction. I know my dad is still addicted to it, but at my worst I wouldn't leave a kid in a hot car.
@Berniezeitler no it's not any different but I wouldn't do that either. I can't say there was never a time though, back when I used to think nothing bad could ever happen to me.
@TRBRocks420 Each person learns at a different pace and has to hit their own bottom. I remember when I said I'd never do something and yet when addiction was ruling my life I did things just as bad.
@Berniezeitler yeah you are right I have certainly done many things I regret.
@Hanyouyomi (1935)
• Dallas, Texas
My brain shut down after I read that headline.... How on Earth does a dude leave his baby in the car to gamble in a casino? BABYSITTERS!!! NANNIES!!!! THESE PEOPLE EXIST TO WATCH OVER YOUR KIDS WHILE YOU'RE AWAY!!!! Why, why have humans become so...stupid?
• Austin, Texas
Addiction affects everyone. Yeah. But the father should be arrested, charged with child endangerment, and go to jail. A person shouldn't be able to use their addiction or vice as “mitigating circumstances” and be excused for endangering an innocent child. You hurt a kid, you get no sympathy from me. That's where I draw the line.
@cmoneyspinner The point of what I wrote was not to excuse the situation but rather to suggest that treatment might be necessary in conjunction with the jail time. Also to point out that the reporter was not acting objectively which only feeds the problem.
• Austin, Texas
@Berniezeitler - Yeah I get all that. But my words stay the same. It's the point I'm making and that I stand on. Immovable.
The father should be arrested, given a restraining order to keep him away from the children, get help for his addiction once he's out of jail. It's one thing to have an addiction but it's not a crime. Risking your childrens' lives is a crime.
@LindaCPearson There should have been an intervention long before this point but then there are far too many people who have no understanding of addiction.
@Berniezeitler Very true.
@cacay1 (32160)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
I have just read the story.This father of the two boys should have not left his 5 months o;d and 2 year old boys.What kind of father is he. I hate that kind of person mind becomes dull due to addition of gambling. He is so stupid leaving his children in a hot car. He should have put on the aircon.Besides , 30 minutes seems long minutes to wait for a daddy.
my concern is the mother allowed him to have access to the kids. He is no longer safe to watch then. Not saying it's her fault, although I would be surprised if she didnt know how bad he was (he could have been hiding it), maybe child services SHOULD move those kids for their own safety
@advokatku (4039)
Addiction or addiction is when the body or mind with the severity very want or need something to works well. Based on the definition of addiction, whatever its name, if someone is addicted to something then he can forget even forget everything.
@millie02 (5962)
He must have had a bad problem to have done that.