Applesauce!

@OneOfMany (12424)
I picked a bunch of apples the other day because my father wanted someone to make applesauce and I volunteered. We haven't had apples for years because of late frosts, so there are a ton of apples this year, and they are really big too. So yeah, I've been in the kitchen for half of the day preparing and then actually working on it. I have one batch done and there's more to process on the stove. After that I think I can't do any more today, but there are still many apples to go. I think I need to buy more sugar... I'm almost out.
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Thats a great idea! Post a pic of the sauce when ready! Add cinnamon too to give it a nice kick
@OneOfMany (12424)
Cinnamon is a must! But I'm not running out of that any time soon. However the sugar is gone. The first batch might be too sweet. It's hard to tell when it's hot. I thought about a picture, but it's already in the fridge. :P
@clrumfelt (5421)
Whew, that's a long day in the kitchen! Hope you dad appreciates you for that.
@OneOfMany (12424)
I'm sure he will. He appreciates food in general. My mother was too busy with tomatoes to do it, so I took up the mantle. There are a lot of apples this year, so I think I will be busy for a while. I will take the batches over to my mother's house and she will can it when she has time.
Oooh that is one of my favorite variation ingredients when I am baking home goodies !
@OneOfMany (12424)
I've still yet to try it in baking, but I imagine this year - if apples are around again - that I will make an unsweetened batch for baking purposes.
@OneOfMany it is an absolutely wonderful find to use apples in all kinds of sauce and I love to play with foods combining all sorts of stuff to make delectable anything ! Let me know what you come up with and have a great rest of your day
@OneOfMany (12424)
@enlightenedpsych2 It might take a while. I only ever sauce wild apples, and those are a ways away. :D
could also dry some, or make apple cider, or apple jack