Getting Hit With Outer Bands of Hurricane Hermine

@moffittjc (38047)
Gainesville, Florida
I made it back home to Gainesville from my week-long conference in Orlando just as the first outer bands of Hurricane Hermine started hitting the area! Thankfully, I was able to unload all of my luggage and bags before the torrential rains started pouring down. I am sitting here at my laptop now listening to the rain just beat down on the roof of my house. Thankfully, other than gusts, the winds haven't picked up too badly yet. The hurricane is going to make landfall in the big bend of Florida near Apalachicola in just a few hours. Apalachicola is not that far west of where I live in Gainesville, but thankfully where I live won't get hit with the worst of the storm. The eye of the hurricane will be rolling through the Tallahassee area overnight before making it's way along the eastern coast of the United States. For all of you myLotters who are in the wake of the hurricane, I wish you the best of luck in weathering the storm, and hope you stay safe! Anyone else out there feeling the effects of this hurricane, or will be feeling the effects soon?
@norcal (3260)
• Nevada City, California
Not I, as I live in California now. I remember Hurricane Betsy though. I was just a kid in 1965, and living in central Louisiana. We didn't bear the brunt of the storm, but I remember Betsy blowing trash cans down the street, and then the eye of the storm, when everything got calm. Then the wind and rain were back.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've lived through Hurricanes David, Andrew, Charlie, Frances and Jean. Hurricane Andrew was the worst when it leveled south Florida. I hope to never live through anything that bad again.
@norcal (3260)
• Nevada City, California
@moffittjc I hope so too. Here we don't have hurricanes.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
@norcal Unfortunately, with global temperatures rising, it's going to generate more and stronger hurricanes. I just hope most of them stay out at sea and not slam into the US or Mexico.
Take care all of you there.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
We're holding up pretty well right now. The rain keeps coming through in waves right now since we are on the outer fringes of the storm. The steady rain and gusty winds won't hit us until overnight.
@moffittjc good to hear about that. :) i hope the rain will stop sooner. I know it is really to sleep right now. :)
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
@richjohn07 We have about 2-3 hours before the bad stuff really starts hitting us.
@Asylum (48358)
• Manchester, England
So you are currently enjoying Manchester weather.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well, since you sent your lovely Manchester weather over to us, does that mean you finally got your one day of sunshine for the year?
@Asylum (48358)
• Manchester, England
@moffittjc Oh no, certainly not today. Of course it may be fine in Manchester, but I am in Southport at the moment.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Asylum Well, what the hell are you doing in Southport today? It's nice and sunny in Manchester!
Is Apalachicola the place of oysters? I think to remember my husband always asked for that oysters in Florida (not during summer of course). I hope that the hurricane will cause no damages.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, Apalachicola is the place where all the oyster farms are. Actually, pretty much the entire area of the Gulf of Mexico where the storm path went is huge on oyster farming. Hopefully, the storm didn't destroy or damage all the underwater oyster farms!
@moffittjc I hope that they were not damaged. In Europe all the oysters come from France, from the coastal areas on the Atlantic sea.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck I still haven't heard anything about the status of all the oyster farms. I'm sure they are probably okay, as oysters have survived millions of years of hurricanes! lol
@clrumfelt (5425)
The Tennessee Titans are playing the Dolphins right now in Miami. I hope they aren't in the path of the storm.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
No, they are fine in south Florida. They are about 350 miles southeast of where the storm is. They got all their rain from the tropical system on Monday and Tuesday, but it wasn't a hurricane yet when it passed through south Florida.
@clrumfelt (5425)
@moffittjc Good to know they are out of the bad weather. Stay safe.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
@clrumfelt Thank you! We are currently in a tornado watch, so hopefully nothing bad hits us overnight. I wonder why tornados always seem to hit overnight?
No hurricanes ever here! We need some rain! Everywhere is raining except California! Glad you got home safely, and right before the down pour/hurricane.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's too bad we can't figure out how to send all this rain and water over to you in Cali!
@moffittjc Yes! Sadly. Many said they would but it didnt make it here yet! Lol
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby Well, I think Cali sent Oklahoma it's earthquakes the other day, so Oklahoma should pay the favor back and send you some of their water! lol
I'm glad that you are not in it's path, i hope the storm doesn't cause too much damage.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm not in the direct path, but I am located where the right upper quadrant of the storm will pass through. The upper right quadrant is where the worst and most damaging storms are in a hurricane, so we're not quite out of the woods yet.
@moffittjc Fingers crossed for you.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
@jaboUK Thank you!
I hope you've been safe through this hurricane.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
Made it through safe and sound! I did get called in to work during the storm (I'm on the emergency response team for my city), so I ended up having to be out in the thick of it dealing with downed trees and power lines! But we have a great team, and we were able to keep up with just about all emergencies throughout the storm, so our city had minimal disruptions during and after the storm. Now, if I can shake off what appears to be a nasty cold developing...
@moffittjc I'm glad you made it through okay and there was minimal disruptions during the storm. I hope you get over your cold soon. This time of year is not a good time to get one as it's so hard to get rid of with the changing seasons.
Glad that you could make it home safe.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
Everybody is all safe and sound! Lots of trees and power lines down everywhere, but thankfully no one was injured or killed.
@JESSY3236 (5446)
We are supposed to get rain from it.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
Hopefully the rains and winds won't be too bad for you.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Glad to hear it's tolerable where you are. Hope we receive similar reports from others. Here in California...well, it's slightly cool.
@Bluedoll (16792)
Hope everyone around you is able to stay safe.
@Bluedoll (16792)
@moffittjc oh boy that's sad but I guess shelter at a time like is better than not. I wonder if he even knew it was coming.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Bluedoll I'm willing to bet he was aware a hurricane was hitting Florida, but assumed that where he was located was outside the reaches of the storm's fury. His location was pretty far south of the storm itself, but it was one of the outflow thunderstorms that pushed through his area that got him.
@Bluedoll (16792)
@moffittjc sounds like nothing to mess with. Usually in storms it doesn't seem like a good idea to hide behind a tree. Not funny what happened to the man but reminds me of comedian Ron White and his view on hurricanes .. not how fast the wind is blowin but what the wind is blowin.
@HazySue (18382)
@moffittjc we were lucky we lost a branch. My mother and sister-in-law each lost a tree. Glad you got home before the storm.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
We didn't lose as many trees as we thought we would. Tallahassee, about 2 hours northwest of where I live, took a direct hit and had a lot of downed trees. I just heard today that the Florida State University campus is still without power, a week after the storm went through!
@LoriAMoore (4926)
We never got a storm from it here in the Midwest.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
Lucky you! It looks like the people of New York and New Jersey get to deal with it now on Labor Day.
• Eugene, Oregon
I have thought about you and the state of Florida several times today. Glad you made it back and that the brunt of the storm will miss your area.
@moffittjc (38047)
• Gainesville, Florida
We got some bad outer bands from the storm, but thankfully nothing we couldn't handle. This area of the state has a very heavy tree canopy, so we did have a lot of downed trees and power lines, but we had crews working throughout the storm to address the issues as they arose, so that afterward people could get back to their lives as quickly as possible.
@RubyHawk (21147)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I thought we might get a little rain and wind from the storm, but so far we've felt nothing but heat as usual.